Poem Tryouts: Join In

19 Jan

9:47 a.m. — San Antonio

listening to That Old Black Magic sung by Peggy Lee — for most of my growing up years, I gave dad Lee’s newest album, for Christmas

Hello, all. My apologies for the non-appearance, Thursday. Life happened. (It has that habit, doesn’t it?) Today’s prompt is one you can have fun with. List all things you can think of that join: the conjunctions of life. Obvious: bridges. Not so obvious: the ear canal.

1] Be literal.

2] Be metaphorical — that’s an option, literal people, not a must. I can feel your panic.

3] Weave a couple of the not so obvious joins together.

4] Use joining things as a motif, a thread throughout the poem.

The joining things can be a small part, or the entire focus, of what you write.

I’m looking forward to what you come up with. I will see you Thursday for stuff, and Tuesday for our next prompt.

Happy writing, everyone.

Posted by on 19/01/2016 in exercises, poetry

Tags: , , ,

32 responses to “Poem Tryouts: Join In

1. Jane Dougherty

19/01/2016 at 10:31 am

What a strange coincidence! My last week’s poetry challenge was on the theme of bridges. I’ll reblog in case people haven’t finished with the idea.

2. Jane Dougherty

19/01/2016 at 10:32 am

Reblogged this on Jane Dougherty Writes and commented:
    More bridge poems required. If you want to post your bridge challenge poems to Margo’s site too, go ahead. If you still have more to say on the theme, this is the place for it.

19/01/2016 at 10:48 am

Very nice. Thanks, Jane — much appreciated.

19/01/2016 at 10:48 am

19/01/2016 at 11:52 am

Has to be here… the stew or porridge pot has been stirred again:

Rejoinder?
    I
    Off the rickety bridge into quicksand
    How long can you be still to prevent further sinking
    Expecting love to be unconditional
    After you, yourself have placed so many restrictions
    Upon the relationship that never really existed?

Love without respect is like the extension of
    That rescue stick but only being pulled back with one hand.
    The process is going to be extremely slow
    Especially when all that sand gets to weighing
    All the options you never gave, when you were able…

II
    On the table three bowls of porridge lay in wait –
    The biggest one is too hot, the medium one too mushy.
    That little one seems just right, but if you don’t share –
    Well really what did Goldilocks expect to gain?
    Taking that which was not hers…it’s all individual choices.

You continue to attempt to gain free access to my heart
    Expecting years of neglect to be idled away by a few half
    hearted symbolic gestures. But are you willing to really
    pay the toll? Do you think of me as the Troll? When the
    thought has crossed my mind that all you want is my money.