Poem Tryouts: Extra! Extra! Read All About It!

01 Dec

8:51 a.m. — San Antonio

listening to Good King Wenceslas sung by some choir

Hello, all. I’ve been having far too much fun with my two advent calendars and NORAD’s Santa tracker and it’s only December 1st. We did not have an image during November and December is a rather hysterical month, so I may give images every week. We’ll see how it goes.

by Mary Cassatt

by Mary Cassatt

This image caught my eye as I was looking through my collection. You may stop reading right now and write your poem, or read further, first.

So, why does this give me pause? I read a print newspaper and Skip reads his news online. I tried online once and realised I missed too much serendipitous news because I chose amongst the headlines presented. With a print newspaper, I see everything and with an article right there, when I pause to glance, my eye starts reading down the column or picks up on a paragraph. I read so much more than I do online. Besides, I like turning pages, the sound of the paper, the smell of newsprint (not that the ink smells as it used to), the context of the whole.

Do you get your news in swaths or slices? How do you go about it? You can write directly to this image or follow what my own meanderings may have begun. If you follow my path, you can write about how you found out a specific piece of news, or you can write about how you get your news, in general. Go where your mind takes you.

I will see you Thursday for links and next Tuesday for another image.

Happy writing, all.

Posted by on 01/12/2015 in exercises, poetry

Tags: , , , ,

21 responses to “Poem Tryouts: Extra! Extra! Read All About It!

01/12/2015 at 10:12 am

Crumbs. Thought I was getting a migraine, but it’s just you turning on the snowfall machine…

2. http://vivinfrance.wordpress.com

01/12/2015 at 4:45 pm

Great prompt. I hope you don’t mind me taking the Mickey: https://vivinfrance.wordpress.com/2015/12/01/and-here-is-the-news/

02/12/2015 at 4:39 pm

Do I ever mind you taking the mickey? I’m just happy when you show up, ViV!

3. barbcrary

02/12/2015 at 1:07 pm

Hello. Check out my fast fact about France. It’s a shocker! https://eyeofraven.wordpress.com/2015/12/02/lady-reading/

03/12/2015 at 6:57 pm

OK more mini mystery flash fiction with BeeBee:
    Misbegotten?

5. pmwanken

29/12/2015 at 10:16 am

Like Barb Crary, I did a bit of research on Mary and the painting. Here’s my haibun, telling a tale…