Poetics Serendipity

19 Nov

7:40 a.m. — San Antonio

listening to Robbie Williams singing Me and My Shadow (Yes, that Robbie Williams — he has an entire album of Frank Sinatra, and similar singers’, songs. Brilliant.)

Hello. I am returned from New Orleans beigneted and Bloody Mary-ed enough to keep me going for a few months. Lordy, the food is good in that city. Perhaps more on that with Tuesday’s prompt. On to today’s business. Nanos, coming down the home stretch!

1] NaNoWriMo-ers, I have a link that keeps on giving. Poets, you will enjoy reading just as much. Back in 2012, The Atlantic published an article titled 6 Writing Tips from John Steinbeck (a master of narrative structure, among other things), written by Maria Popova. How could I resist a statement like: The legendary author explains why you should abandon all hope of finishing your novel?

Within the piece are several links to other useful articles, such as David Ogilvy’s 10 No-bullshit Tips and Henry Miller’s 11 Commandments, You’ll be able to lose yourself, happily.

2] This next is in pdf format and will need to be enlarged, unless your eyes work better than mine. The Poetry School is London-based, but has courses around England and online. Everything I have seen from them is first-rate. The link takes you to their 2016 schedule.

3] While we are at The Poetry School, read an interview with their digital poet in residence. The interviewer is Will Barrett and the poet, Clare Shaw. Read what she has to say about a poet’s voice. It’s a fascinating description.

Right. I’m off to my second cup of coffee. I will see you Tuesday for a prompt and Thursday for more links.

Happy writing, everyone.

Posted by on 19/11/2015 in links, poetry, writing

Tags: , , , ,

7 responses to “Poetics Serendipity

1. georgeplace2013

19/11/2015 at 10:07 am

“I am returned from New Orleans beigneted and Bloody Mary-ed enough to keep me going for a few months.” Love that sentence!!!!!
    Welcome home now back to reality. sigh

19/11/2015 at 11:02 am

Thank you, Debi! Tell you what, we may institute this every three months, or so. Reality requires a goodly dose of escape (not to mention beignets and Bloody Marys).

2. barbcrary

19/11/2015 at 3:46 pm

We will be in New Orleans in about a month. Amen to your comment about the food there. It has to be about 75% of why we go back so frequently 🙂

19/11/2015 at 5:58 pm

Tell you what. We’re going to have a hard time making ourselves eat at different places. We fell in love with the Commander’s Palace. The food at the Palace Cafe was to die for. Fins is superb. And those Bloody Marys I keep talking about? Breakfast at Maspero’s, but they only have it Friday through Monday.

• barbcrary

19/11/2015 at 9:12 pm

We’re huge fans of Fins and recommend it without reservation to anyone going to New Orleans for a visit. We haven’t been to Commander’s Palace since the reopening post-Katrina, but did go to the relatively newly reopened Brennan’s in the French Quarter for brunch las time we were in town. Pricey, but so atmospheric and delicious! Also just discovered Atchafalaya way uptown – yum! We haven’t been to Maspero’s, so maybe this time. Music?

19/11/2015 at 9:56 pm

On every corner :-D, but Preservation Hall is still great.

19/11/2015 at 5:56 pm

Love the Steinbeck article.