Poem Tryouts: This is Where I Want to Be

29 Sep

8:54 a.m. — San Antonio

listening to Bohemian Rhapsody sung by Queen

Hello, everyone, new, old-timer, and in between. I hope you are well. Today is our image prompt and I have a place to get lost in for a while. I often use images from the Facebook group, I Require Art. We have the same tastes. In fact, I began following them in order to have a source for images. Then an unexpected thing happened. My Facebook friends enjoyed seeing the paintings I chose. I have almost as much fun seeing who likes what. Sometimes, we even discuss the paintings.

Today’s choice is a recent find and evoked more comment than almost anything I have posted. I remarked that I would like to be there, sitting, looking out over the water, sipping a cup of coffee. Apparently, plenty of people would like to join me. I’ve had to add a guest cottage around the corner.

12043129_895662533821595_1064952773297469079_n

The painting is Fisherman’s House at Varengeville, by Monet. You can approach the prompt in a number of ways. With each, remember that the painting itself does not have to be part of the poem.

1] Respond emotionally to what you see.

2] Go over the painting jotting down every single thing you note. Look at your notes and find your direction among them.

3] Make the painting part of the poem.

4] Write about your tranquil place. You can do this with, or without, the painting. It depends if you want to use the setting as a character, as in having it to specifically refer to. This might be your anti-tranquil place.

5] Do what your brain started as soon as it saw the painting.

Yes? Good. I shall see you Thursday for links and Tuesday for another prompt (and on your blogs, should you respond to this).

Happy writing, all.

Posted by on 29/09/2015 in exercises, poetry

Tags: , , , ,

37 responses to “Poem Tryouts: This is Where I Want to Be

1. clothespeggedpat

29/09/2015 at 11:54 am

This certainly is a wonderful choice for an image prompt. A depth of quite different directions and possibilities await after some contemplation. Looking forward to this! 🙂

29/09/2015 at 1:09 pm

I’m looking forward to reading the results 🙂

2. http://vivinfrance.wordpress.com

29/09/2015 at 12:40 pm

A lovely prompt. NE of here but in the same region. There are views like that all around our local coast, so I shall enjoy writing to it.

29/09/2015 at 12:51 pm

Well I was going to link something I had already written…but the ash leaves fallen dictated otherwise (just for your prompt):

4. georgeplace2013

29/09/2015 at 5:41 pm

Beautiful picture. Don’t know why it took so much thought.

30/09/2015 at 8:44 am

Possibly because you were envisioning yourself there, also with a cup of coffee, Debi.

5. whimsygizmo

29/09/2015 at 8:14 pm

Still sipping that cup of coffee with you, by the sea. Thanks for the invite. 😉

30/09/2015 at 8:46 am

I remember you are one of the ones for whom I built the guest cottage, de. 🙂

6. purplepeninportland

30/09/2015 at 12:00 am

Putting in my request for a stay in the guest cottage. Love this painting, Margo.

7. b_y

30/09/2015 at 12:04 pm

Just a (rainy) day late. Thanks for the picture. But how the heck does the fisherman get up and down?

30/09/2015 at 10:59 pm

01/10/2015 at 9:34 am

The light is always on, Hannah.

9. pmwanken

01/10/2015 at 10:17 am

Thanks, as always, margo, for your prompts–ekphrastic and otherwise!! ❤

I took a little historical data and combined it with some imagination…and came up with this:

02/10/2015 at 11:30 am

As they often do… pesky poems.