Poetics Serendipity

17 Sep

7:27 a.m. — San Antonio

listening to Lady sung by Kenny Rogers, one of my favourite voices

Hello, all. My apologies about Tuesday. Remind me not to say I will post the day after getting back from a road trip. I have a diversity of links today. Let’s see what to pick…

1] An Ear for Poetry, written by Julian B. Gewirtz and Rachel R. Kolb, for The Poetry Foundation, is a fascinating discussion of what that metaphor means to someone who is deaf. Kolb approaches the topic from the point of view of both a reader and a writer of poetry. She then broadens the discussion by applying the metaphor to the community at large. The essay is long, but well-worth the read.

2] We are going to get technical. I feel almost as strongly about the correct use of the dash and the hyphen as I do about the Oxford comma, especially as it pertains to clarity in writing, or understanding, a poem. At The Writer’s Circle, Mary Norris, copyeditor for The New Yorker explains the difference between a hyphen and the two types of dashes (I was fascinated to learn why they are called an en dash and an em dash) in a short video.

3] For anyone wondering whether to get their MFA, Poets & Writers has put out their guide for 2016.

4] This last, I have a feeling I may have posted, but it’s worth repeating. Poets & Writers has developed an app, Poets & Writers Local. The first feature alone is worth the downloading: Find local readings, book signings, poetry slams, open mics, and other literary events. Search by author or venue. Save events to your personal calendar. View exact locations utilizing your device’s map. Share event info with friends. The download is free and available for both the iphone and android.

Have fun with these. There’s a lot of territory to cover. I will be back on Tuesday for our prompt; and next Thursday for links.

Happy writing, everyone.

Posted by on 17/09/2015 in links, poetry

Tags: , , , , , ,

10 responses to “Poetics Serendipity

1. b_y

17/09/2015 at 9:35 am

I was a tad concerned, but you existed on Facebook, so I knew your absence wasn’t too serious.
    The P&W app might be neat for vacations. It does require the local scene’s involvement. Not much shows up as happening in Nashville.

17/09/2015 at 1:10 pm

I’ve still not managed to find a routine for my days and I’m more tired/frazzled after a visit to mom, even a good one. I’ll keep working at it.

San Antonio has a lot going on, which surprised me.

• julespaige

17/09/2015 at 1:18 pm

Visiting the elderly can take a lot out of a person. Just talking to my mom on the phone is a chore.
        She received a new flat screen TV. I made the mistake of asking if the old tube set was taken to be recycled. She said no. It was on the floor of her room she was going to keep it. Because gee she could move into a two room place and would need another set. ???? Well I wasn’t going to be the one to tell her that that was most likely never going to happen. Being so far there isn’t much I can do.

Just take it one day at a time. And don’t worry about routines.

17/09/2015 at 1:03 pm

There isn’t much cooking in my area. But then I’m not on FB to know. Just the local book store and a few years ago that was centered around a semi evangelical person – not my idea of a fun night out.

I was concerned too If you hadn’t posted today I was going to e-mail you.
    I’ve been a tad busy but having fun with some mixing some new with old prompts.
    This is a flash:

17/09/2015 at 1:11 pm

Hello! See comment above πŸ™‚

I’m getting closer. These are the first comments I’ve gotten to in a long time. Next: reading your work again!

• julespaige

17/09/2015 at 1:13 pm

No worries.
        Make house,
        make hay.
        Live and play.

I’m going to be a tad um scarce this weekend myself. I’ll let you know about it when I return. πŸ™‚

17/09/2015 at 1:17 pm

I look forward to hearing about it.

• julespaige

21/09/2015 at 1:50 pm

Just sent you an e-mail about it…

17/09/2015 at 4:27 pm

Helllloooo!!! Glad to see you! #2 looks like something I’ll like for sure…I’ve wondered about those hyphens and dashes… Thank you, Margo! πŸ™‚

17/09/2015 at 4:51 pm

Helllooo!!! It’s good to see you, too πŸ™‚