Poem Tryouts: The Streets Where You Lived

11 Aug

8:02 a.m. — San Antonio

listening to the icebox ice maker – no, I’m still not reunited with my PC

Hello, all. Things are still chaos at our place, but we are beginning to see through to a possible end to unpacking and having a house back in order. Meanwhile, both of our children are also up to their ears in boxes as each of them moves to a new place. Our daughter, Marguerite, gave me the idea for today’s prompt. In the midst of her packing, she couldn’t find our new address, so I sent it to her. We were texting, which is what allowed me to notice that both the street we have lived on for the past five years and the street our house is on, now, are named for trees. She mentioned that there was a poem in that, somewhere. That started me thinking about the streets I have lived on.

For today, list as many of the streets you have lived on, as you can remember. My streets are: Macdonnell Road, Pheasant Lane, Spruance, Glenister, Agion Apostolon, Hildebrand, Peachtree Road, Mitropolitou Fotiou, and Jalan Ampang. There are a number of directions we can go.

1] Write a list poem that becomes a map of your life (even if you aren’t the speaker of the poem).

2] Choose one street and research the origin of its name. Centre the poem on the street’s history. Feel free to make stuff up.

3] If you notice a common thread among the names, play on that theme.

4] Choose one street that you want to focus on, for whatever reason.

The only ‘should have’ is street name(s) somewhere in your poem. I don’t think this will be easy, but I do think it will be fun.

I’ll see you Thursday for links and such and next Tuesday for another of my prompts. Happy writing, everyone.

Posted by on 11/08/2015 in exercises, poems, poetry

Tags: , , ,

14 responses to “Poem Tryouts: The Streets Where You Lived

1. http://vivinfrance.wordpress.com

11/08/2015 at 11:40 am

Have a heart, Margo! I’m still working on the titles/last lines prompt, and I’ve lived in far too many streets! That said, this idea is too tempting to pass up! It may take some time, though – I have Tillybud (The Laughing Housewife) coming for a week, and I dare say – given the foul weather forecast – that there might be some poeming on here instead of trips to the beach!

• b_y

12/08/2015 at 8:16 am

Say “Hey” to her.

2. pmwanken

11/08/2015 at 12:12 pm

Amazing the emotion I felt as I remembered some of the street names…just a quick run-through in my head, I found myself smiling at streets like “Deerpath” and “Sheridan”…and then the dark cloud that came with….

PLEASANT VALLEY ROAD
    (a shadorma)

Not all days
    spent there were pleasant.
    Some of the
    darkest days
    in my life followed one night
    spent in that valley.

Probably not one I’ll be sharing on my blog, so I posted it here in whole.

11/08/2015 at 3:20 pm

I’m on a ‘real’ vacation this week. Not sure what computer time I’ll have besides my morning daily.
    Hubby is playing nine-holes – I’m in the club house – using his hot spot. Tomorrow we meet up with the kiddies, grandkiddies and in-laws… That will be ‘Fun’ 😉

Hope you are settling in.

4. b_y

12/08/2015 at 8:14 am

Staying in an old hotel in Black Mountain. Heard a noise outside. Out on the street behind (don’t know its name), digging through the garbage cans left out for today’s pick-up, a bear. Like a very muscular little thug. It’s fine to be a tourist here. Don’t think I would make a good Black Mountain poet.

12/08/2015 at 2:41 pm

6. desertdweller29

12/08/2015 at 3:37 pm

Thank you! This worked well for me today. Hope you are soon settled!

12/08/2015 at 10:49 pm

8. purplepeninportland

12/08/2015 at 11:11 pm

I could not remember all my former addresses, but of the ones I did remember, a theme presented itself.