Poem Tryouts: Pack It

04 Aug

10:15 a.m. — San Antonio

listening to the music from Swan Lake

Hi all. I hope things are going well and that you are not in one of the two dark red spots on the weather map that indicate incredibly hot. It occurred to me a few days ago, while moving mom and unpacking us, that I had a natural topic for writing on. Let’s pack and unpack, people.

I am going to make a generalisation, often a dangerous thing to do. I am going to venture that there isn’t a person on this earth who has not packed and unpacked sometime in their lives (alright, maybe not babies — although my husband used to pack baby food in his cheeks [apparently everyone thought he had chubby cheeks] and then unpack it when left in his crib.).

Packing. Unpacking. Packing for a trip. Packing to leave a place. Packing to run away. Metaphorical packings. Unpacking. Packaging. Big gift, intimate gift. unusual packaging. Given or received. There are so many possibilities for a poem. Go nuts. If you feel like stretching, choose a form that unpacks, or packs, such as an etheree.

I hope to be here Thursday. If not, I’ll see you next Tuesday for another prompt.

Happy writing, everyone.

22 to be precise.

Packing anathema
    unpacking finito!
    never again
    until you pack me
    into my coffin.

The last move landed me in hospital with three crushed vertebrae, so you can assume I really mean it! And last time I packed to go visiting mydaughter, the handle on my pullalong snapped as were about to leave for the airport. Insult added to injury.

• julespaige

04/08/2015 at 1:18 pm

Gee I think I’ve moved at least that many times too. But this last stop… I’m liking it so much that I’m going to have to be dragged away. Now mind you I enjoy traveling with others… But it is good to be home.

I used to think all trees and suitcases lasted forever -they don’t. I add decorative duct tape and ribbons to my luggage so I can find it when it comes of the airline carousel.

04/08/2015 at 1:27 pm

Ribbons for me, too.

• julespaige

07/08/2015 at 10:35 am

I picked up a rainbow luggage wrap. Kind of like a belt for a suitcase. But I seem to misplace it for every other time I travel. This time I also added some blue zip ties to some of the zipper pulls. I cut off the excess plastic. My hubby travels quite a bit and sometimes the zipper pulls break. So the zip ties are also a useful addition to open the suitcases. πŸ™‚

• georgeplace2013

05/08/2015 at 9:24 pm

That is a lot of moving around, Viv. Hope you are happy and content right where you are.

2. Sasha A. Palmer

04/08/2015 at 12:54 pm

Uh-oh..”Swan Lake” is trouble. (That was the only thing on TV during the time of the coup in Russia.) Hope all’s well in San Antonio πŸ™‚

Loved your post. Kind of wild. The baby unpacking in the crib blew me away.

Hang in there, Margo. You’ve moved – that’s a huge step. Things will be normal again. Eventually.

04/08/2015 at 1:08 pm

Yes I added a prompt, but for you Margo, I made ‘it’ a haibun πŸ™‚ (fiction!)

04/08/2015 at 5:07 pm

Maybe a stretch…but stretching is good for us I hear. πŸ˜‰

Thank you, Margo. Smiles to you.

5. barbcrary

04/08/2015 at 11:03 pm

I had some fun with this today. (And I learned what an etheree is, too.)

6. b_y