Poem Tryouts: Dream the Day Away

07 Jul

9: 01a.m. — Atlanta

listening to the Tour de France

Hello, all. Heat is building around the world. It’s hotter in England than the US! We spent a wonderful week up in DC and Vermont, where the temperatures were unseasonably autumn like. With our kids visited and my Florida brother seen several times, we turn to packing out.

During one section of our trip, DC to Charlotte, NC, I was ruminating about nothing in particular. My brain was in free float mode and I wasn’t guiding it. When this happens, I find that (even more than night-time dreaming) my brain will often drift into dark areas, or problems I don’t want to deal with, at which point, I have to shut down the day-dreaming. My free dreaming tends to go way back in my past and drag things out that I have long left behind. Free float mode is also where I work on a poem.

My free-floating almost always happens when we are on a car trip. Think about your own free float times. Where are you? Go there. If possible to physically go there, do. You know this post is open for as long as needed. Let your brain go; let your mind wander. No censoring, no thinking deliberately, no worrying about notes. Float.

At some point, either stop the day dreaming, or bring it to an end and jot notes, without thinking about a poem, yet. Now you need to decide how to approach your thoughts. Dreams do not have to come into the poem. You can take your content and use it to tell a story, convey a universal truth, or to dig further into the topic and your life.

Consider the technique of repetition, of some sort, whether it be a word, a sentence structure, or one of the repetitive forms, such as the cascade.

I am going to go pack a box, but I will see you Thursday for a couple of links.

Happy writing, everyone.

Posted by on 07/07/2015 in exercises, poems, poetry

Tags: , , , ,

18 responses to “Poem Tryouts: Dream the Day Away

07/07/2015 at 9:45 am

Until I mash a bunch of prompts… including this one…
    Enjoy your unpacking… (I still have stuff from when we redid our kitchen and when we redid our floors ….and sigh from when we moved here about 25 years ago…in boxes).

It is fiction, but any distraction with writing is a dream, yes?

08/07/2015 at 10:48 am

Unpacking?!? We’re still packing, Jules.

• julespaige

08/07/2015 at 11:01 am

Esh. Once or twice we had a service do that for us. And they pack everything including the trash if you aren’t specific.

One of my goals (*hum*) is to get rid of unneeded stuff this summer…

07/07/2015 at 10:44 am

A flash fiction haibun I dreamed up for you (and a few others):

07/07/2015 at 10:49 am

I was doing just as you described this morning … let my dreams carry me off into my past. Regrettably that produced a poem for another prompt, but I’m offering it up to you also as the method is precisely as your requested. I’ll work on another one later specifically for you.

4. pmwanken

07/07/2015 at 3:01 pm

Ack – you want me to go where!? I’m sure a deep, dark poem will emerge. But then, those are usually cathartic for me.

…later.

08/07/2015 at 10:51 am

😀 You’re allowed to arrive at a sunny place.

• pmwanken

08/07/2015 at 10:55 am

Easier said than done…but we’ll see…

5. http://vivinfrance.wordpress.com

08/07/2015 at 6:26 am

I am temporarily without Word, and it feels as though my right hand has been cut off! I may have to re-invent the wheel and resort to paper and pen!

08/07/2015 at 10:47 am

Ack! I’m fighting google. Couldn’t get into my main account for two days. i know just how you feel.

08/07/2015 at 12:51 pm

Sympathy to you. My laptop tells me that the password I’ve been using for years is incorrect, so I can’t get in at all. The old one is a mess, with no “word”.

6. georgeplace2013

08/07/2015 at 9:18 am

Three weeks of company… getting ready to put hardwood in three bedrooms (we are doing the carpet removal and staple unstapling ourselves) and I am more than ready to let my brain free float!

08/07/2015 at 10:56 am

Ah, yes. We did the carpet to hardwood a couple of summers ago. You can free float over here anytime .

09/07/2015 at 1:03 pm

Here’s something…a mash-up of ideas. 🙂

Thank you, so much for the inspiration, Margo!