Poem Tryouts: Dream the Summer Away

02 Jun

listening to Familia sung by Badi and Clarice Assad with Yo Yo Ma

Hello, everyone. In a summer when I’m on the road more often than not, I pick dreams, about which I know nothing, as my focal topic for prompts? Really? Well, it might be easier than fighting the brain, which insists. It does mean a series of prompts that are not quite as light as my summer prompts usually are. The caveat, as you know, is always that you can read the prompt, shrink with horror at the thinking involved, and adapt like mad.

Curious, I looked up dream’s etymology before creating our first prompt and am so fascinated, that has become the first prompt.

The word ‘dream’ is thought to be derived from (at its earliest) Proto-Germanic, meaning:  deception, illusion, or phantasm, with a side of Old Norse, meaning: ghost or apparition. The Old English definition of dream as something to do with joy, mirth, noisy merriment, and music, comes from a different root, altogether, and is not thought to be a connected word. We can play with that later.

Dreams as we think of them, a series of images or thought passing through our minds when asleep, did not come about until the mid-13th century. Let us leave this one for another time and go back to the original meanings.

Answer, in some form, the question, How are dreams deception, illusion, phantasm, ghost or apparition? There are differences in the meanings, so choose one, or more. The word ‘dream’ does not have to be in the poem.

I am looking forward to seeing what you come up with. I will see you Thursday for links; Friday for the week’s roundup of prompts; and Tuesday for our next dream prompt. I’m off to pack some more, or at least look at stuff.

Happy writing, all.

Posted by on 02/06/2015 in exercises, poems, poetry, Summer

Tags: , , , ,

25 responses to “Poem Tryouts: Dream the Summer Away

1. b_y

02/06/2015 at 11:20 am

For anyone who had this pop up twice in their email, sorry.

2. whimsygizmo

02/06/2015 at 11:40 am

🙂 Mashed up with Quickly’s “just add” prompt.
    Thank you!

02/06/2015 at 3:39 pm

Ahhh…finally, a poem…I feel like I haven’t been able to write as much as I want to. Thank you for the inspiration, Margo!

04/06/2015 at 8:04 am

Remember to think short when you can’t seem to come up with a poem.

• Hannah Gosselin

04/06/2015 at 9:01 am

Yes!! You’re right, Margo and sometimes that less can be way more than the rambling more that one might try to force. 🙂 Thank you for the reminder…it definitely helps!

4. sashaapalmer

02/06/2015 at 7:08 pm

Hi,
    Blogger’s giving me formatting troubles…I’ll post here. I’ve been thinking about dreams a lot lately.

Your last letter read,
    you had a dream about us.
    (You drew a phantasm –

a mental image,
    something apparently seen,
    but non-existent?..)

You wrote your sen* was
    velmi zivy a hezky**
    (exclamation points!!!)

That’s how I see you –
    full of life and beautiful –
    now that you are gone.

* a dream (Czech)
    * very lively and beautiful (Czech)

04/06/2015 at 8:12 am

Oh, that final stanza, Sasha. The poem is a lovely little thing.

• georgeplace2013

04/06/2015 at 10:26 am

Yes! This is lovely. I liked the Czech words and interpretation and that ending was just a perfect “how I see you”

5. georgeplace2013

02/06/2015 at 8:35 pm

I have had the song “Dream Weaver” in my mind all day-thanks, Margo, thanks a lot ; )

04/06/2015 at 8:13 am

Oh, right, pass that one along, Debi. 😉

6. Vagrant Rhodia

03/06/2015 at 6:03 am

04/06/2015 at 12:20 pm

8. barbcrary

05/06/2015 at 2:54 pm

When the article popped up on my FB page on Wednesday, I couldn’t resist appropriating some vocabulary from Maria Popova over at “brain pickings.” https://eyeofraven.wordpress.com/2015/06/05/apparition/