Poem Tryouts: Let’s Change It Up

19 May

listening to Snow Patrol singing Chasing Cars

WHY, why, why must people change things that work fine? Hello, there. I just came from my Google Play Music. Someone decided on a new look. Pretty colours, almost unusable. For a cleaner look everything has been double-spaced. The result is like having a permanent zoom shot and never being able to see more than a few items. Worse: because of the resizing and different theme, only the first words of titles can be read. Useless. Not that I can do anything. That’s where I like my music (do not mention i-tunes).

Hi, again. Thank you. I would never have been able to settle down without a rant. HOWEVER, guess what the prompt is about now. I will resist going philosophical, as we have been philosophical enough lately, and we will make ‘change’ a word prompt. That way those who wish to be philosophical can be.

I was fascinated, as I so often am, when I looked up the etymology, to find that the Latin root for change means to barter, to ex-change one thing for another. Think about it, almost everything we use change for has exchange implicit. When you arrive at the dictionary I’m sending you to, note that ‘exchange’ is the third meaning. Look again at the first two. They both mean to change one thing for another, exchanging.

Hmmm. My computer is acting up. I’d better get this posted.

Look at the meanings for change. You can do one of a number of things:

Choose a meaning you don’t usually think of — ringing a change of bells, the change in your purse — and use it in a poem.

Or, you can pick several synonyms, all of which you use in a poem. The challenge is to choose synonyms that don’t necessarily sound as if they are.

Or, you can do a counterpoint poem: Two stanzas, one pro-change, one anti-change. You can also do the pro- anti- thing with your own idea for structure.

Or, you can think of a tiny change in your life that turned out to be a turning point, and write the scenario, or a reflection.

Or, you can go sci-fi and speak to future changes you foresee, and the effect of a change, or changes. You can have fun with this one.

Or, you can do your thing regarding change, because you had an idea as soon as I started talking.

I will see you Thursday for links; Friday for the week’s roundup of prompts; and next Tuesday for our image prompt.

Happy writing, all.

Posted by on 19/05/2015 in exercises, poems, poetry

Tags: , , , ,

35 responses to “Poem Tryouts: Let’s Change It Up

1. b_y

19/05/2015 at 9:52 am

Do you know The Nine Tailors?

19/05/2015 at 10:26 am

But, of course! I own every one of her books.

2. barbcrary

19/05/2015 at 9:53 am

Sorry to say I am serving as an election official in the fine Commonwealth of PA all day today so poetry must wait. It’s a quiet day though, so you never know. 😉

19/05/2015 at 10:26 am

The day might give you plenty to think about with this topic! Enjoy your day.

3. whimsygizmo

19/05/2015 at 12:07 pm

Sooooo…I got a little bit addicted to reading YOUR words, Margo, in April. Where can I find them now? Do you write somewhere to your own prompts?

19/05/2015 at 12:12 pm

de, I am honoured! I don’t post my poems because of the whole ‘it’s been published’ thing. If I wrote faster, I might try to have a place where I can post pieces I’m playing with, but I am like molasses, so all is concentrated on poems to be submitted. If that changes, you’ll know! Meanwhile, next April…

• whimsygizmo

19/05/2015 at 12:15 pm

Ah, well. I shall have to continue to smile at your funny posts. 😉

I understand your reasoning. I often think that if I am going to write like the fiend it seems I am, I should perhaps at least hold a few back…but alas, for now, I’m justing floating them all out there into the wind. 😉

19/05/2015 at 1:43 pm

I didn’t start writing poetry until I was 38, never mind submitting it, so you have time. And, maybe it’s something that won’t ever float your boat. That’s okay. You seem to be having fun 🙂

• whimsygizmo

19/05/2015 at 1:51 pm

I actually went through a submissions phase, big time, in 2012, resulting in a couple of dozen journals (some actually made of paper), with my stuff in them. I even made a whole (paypal) dollar once. 😉 I think my new mantra is that if I’m gonna go through all that process and admin trouble, I’m gonna publish something myself, or at least submit a whole book. IF I ever get off my arse and do it. 😉

4. purplepeninportland

19/05/2015 at 11:15 pm

5. georgeplace2013

20/05/2015 at 5:54 am

I’m not ignoring you, Margo. I’m just clueless but I am thinking (not that it has helped yet).

20/05/2015 at 8:37 am

Thanks for the laugh, Debi. I like an early morning laugh. Write a poem about the change that piles up in a bowl because it’s too heavy in your purse. (Sounds like a country music song)

6. b_y

20/05/2015 at 8:29 am

I’ve discovered that one of my apps does an easy save-to-photos. I think it may be the alternative to not posting to prompts–at least until they start routinely searching images for text. At any rate, this one was mostly for the fun of it.

20/05/2015 at 8:39 am

Now that’s an interesting thought, Barbara. I’ll have to cogitate on that. What’s the app?

7. b_y

20/05/2015 at 9:37 am

It’s Textilus. It’s a little “cute” in that its folders are pretty little books. But it is a very decent word processor for ipad and saves in all basic formats including doc.

8. b_y

20/05/2015 at 9:39 am

Rats. intended that as a reply.

Here’s another. This little form is like peanuts. You get started…

20/05/2015 at 3:58 pm

Hello! I’ll be back to read you guys…I have the kiddos school concert right now. 🙂

21/05/2015 at 8:53 am

And, I’ll be by as soon as I post!

21/05/2015 at 8:44 am

I’ve got an ‘acrosTic’ for you but I’ll have to wait for Little Miss to nap before I can post it.

11. Mr. Walker

23/05/2015 at 12:35 pm

Here’s a poem from me:
    Didn’t write anything until Thursday evening, and didn’t look at it again until this morning.

26/05/2015 at 7:58 am

That’s okay, Richard. i was gone for the weekend, so am just now reading it.