Poetics Serendipity

14 May

listening to — you’re not going to believe me — Let it Snow! Let it Snow! Let it Snow! sung by Lena Horne. This is what happens when I put my entire library on shuffle mode.

Hello, all. Are you reclaiming your lives after April? Let me give you a few roads to wander down, now that you have so much free time.

1] I post the first with the knowledge that we know these things. Yet, I like Mary Norris’ style. I like what she says and how she says it. The article is a short one and, while pointed at prose writers, everything in it applies to the writing of poetry, particularly if you are attempting a haibun, or a prose poem.

Not to be confusing, the article, introduces Norris’ first book, Between You & Me: Confessions of a Comma Queen, is in the magazine The Writer and is written by Jeff Tamarkin. However, he quotes Norris, copy editor for The New Yorker, and the points are made by her. She pretty much had me, but when I read: Punctuation is sometimes for pacing but above all for clarity, I was sold.

2] Many of you, at this moment, may be casting around for help with a first chapbook. The article What Is a Chapbook?‘, by poet and editor E. Kristin Anderson, can be found at her website Write All the Words! and is worth a read if you are a little foggy as to what a chapbook is. Anderson asks and answers a set of questions she often hears and keeps the answers short and to the point.

3] I am constantly on the look-out for sources of free images. The following article ‘15 Sources for Legal & Free Images‘ by Ann of Live Grow Write, gives us a list, complete with a review of each site. She says: You are getting the details; pros & cons, what you can expect to find, licensing detail, attribution requirements, quality of images, and goes on to suggest we read her other articles on the topic of using images.

I did and (aside from Ann’s love of bright pink for words she wants to make sure we see — it’s very bright) found, for the first time, clear definitions and explanations of all those wonderful terms we come across such as Royalty Free, Creative Commons, Public Domain…the explanations are blessedly short and Ann’s style laid back. I’m keeping these articles on speed dial.

We’ll stop there, as the three topics are fairly hefty, as far as giving thought to their subject matter. I will see you tomorrow for the roundup of this week’s prompts; Tuesday for my weekly prompt; and Thursday for more links — should you come across articles you think we would enjoy, or need to read, send the links along to me. They do not have to be current. Writing is timeless with some things.

Happy writing, everyone.

Posted by on 14/05/2015 in links, poetry, writing

Tags: , , , ,

10 responses to “Poetics Serendipity

1. http://vivinfrance.wordpress.com

14/05/2015 at 9:12 am

Thank you for all your hard work on our behalf.

2. livegrowwrite

14/05/2015 at 9:33 am

Awww, what can I say, I am a sucker for bright pink 😉 Thanks for the share and so glad you found them helpful! -Ann

3. barbcrary

14/05/2015 at 10:09 am

Love these! Look forward to perusing them all later today.

4. georgeplace2013

14/05/2015 at 11:22 am

Thanks Margo. I’ll be back to read!

14/05/2015 at 6:07 pm

Had a double duty day. Soo looking forward to two things, a long weekend away with hubby and the first week of June when my service will be ‘off’ until late August or September. When then I will be down to one, since Son of Son starts K.

And I am getting my ‘sea legs’. Hubby got me a new ‘girlie-bike’. A few years back I actually won a bike at a grocery store raffle, but it was a guys bike that I am donating to DIL. Took my new Schwinn for a ride around my block. Which can be challenging due to the hilly nature of my neighborhood. My goal is to be able to get up both sides of ‘the hill’ without getting off the bike by the end of the summer.

I have an offering of Flash fiction in which I also used a set of words from a younger blogger who was reading Oliver Twist. Please enjoy (a Cataloging Sheila page #9):
    Just Twisted

I learned some new words. And thanks for your info. I save ’em all for that moment in time when I’ve got time.

14/05/2015 at 8:53 pm

Excellent links and thank you especially for #3 I’m always looking too. 🙂

7. barbcrary

14/05/2015 at 8:59 pm

Holy Cow! The last article just made me change my twitter page and has me thinking that I will probably remove every photo from my blog, even though I did switch a number of them to “the free to use and share” category from Google images. Disturbing to say the least…

15/05/2015 at 5:40 am

When not using my own photos, I use Unsplash and Flickr CC (public domain) photos. I like the option of alter photos (change them to B&W or crop), so public domain works well for me. Mary Norris’s article was very interesting. This is a very useful post, Margo. Thanks.

9. Roly Andrews

16/05/2015 at 1:33 am

Especially enjoyed first link

– My name is Andy and I’m a coma-holic. I’ve been lead to believe that recognising one’s problem is the first step toward recovery. I hope so I’ve just worn out the comma key on my lap top. Seems to me that writing without comma’s is like writing naked. I think I will give a go – there’s nothing like a bit of danger and freedom to get the creative juices flowing.

Thanks you for your blog.

16/05/2015 at 2:23 pm

‘writing without comma’s is like writing naked’ — I love this. I love commas. There is so much writing, these days, that doesn’t use commas and I find myself having to reread sentences, or poetic lines, for sense. Here’s a fun exercise: Find a piece of writing and remove all the commas. Then try and read it exactly as it now is.
      Thank you for your comment.