Poem Tryouts: Fresh Start

05 May

listening to Another One Bites the Dust by Queen — that’ll get your blood going, although typing to the beat doesn’t quite work

Well, hello, everyone. I opened this page and couldn’t remember what to do, for a moment. It’s not so much the length of time, as that combined with the intense focus on something else for thirty days. I have missed my regular routine. Many, many, of you participated in the month-long celebration of poetry and might be feeling a little brain shock. Let’s start easy. We started in a similar way last year and I rather like it.

1] Is there a prompt from the past month that you would love to have written without constraints of any kind? Or, one that you think you can rewrite much better, given a couple of days?

2] Another possibility is a prompt that you saw and didn’t get to. There were a number of sites that posted prompts every day and only a couple of insane people who tried them all [you know who you are]. Did you see one on someone’s site, thought ‘Oooh!’ and that was the last you thought of it as you sped by? So, go back, find it and write.

3] Is there an idea you had based on one of the prompts but that you were not able to get to during the month? Here’s your chance.

4] If you did not participate in writing a poem a day, all three of the above can be adapted. Have at it.

Choose one of these and write ‘awesome’. Whichever you choose, let us know the original prompt. If your poem is radically different, brand new, even, give us the other poem. When you are done and posted, leave a link in comments below [fyi, new folks].

I will see you Thursday for links; Friday for the week’s prompt roundup; and next Tuesday for another of my prompts.

Happy writing, everyone.

Posted by on 05/05/2015 in exercises, poems, poetry

Tags: , ,

27 responses to “Poem Tryouts: Fresh Start

1. http://vivinfrance.wordpress.com

05/05/2015 at 10:08 am

I don’t think this is quite what you had in mind (try reading it backwards)! The last Napowrimo prompt (which I didn’t do) was to write a poem from end to beginning. I sourced my Napo prompts from all over the place.

I hope it makes you laugh.
    Here it is in idiocy
    and so I have to try.
    but Margo Roby says I must
    and lacking in the craft.
    against the rules of poesy
    seems a trifle daft
    to write a poem backwards

05/05/2015 at 10:53 am

Loud and long, ViV, loud and long. You have contributed to my mental health.

• Misky

05/05/2015 at 11:21 am

Fun fun fun!

• barbcrary

05/05/2015 at 11:30 am

I love the little shout-out to Margo. She’d be the center of the poem either way. 🙂

• georgeplace2013

06/05/2015 at 12:19 pm

Love this, Viv. Very creative.

2. barbcrary

05/05/2015 at 10:41 am

My initial comment is that you led me to a whole different earworm for the day. Enjoy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0DK-0fIKCw Poem to follow, thanks to NaPoWriMo.

05/05/2015 at 10:55 am

Oh, my. I had forgotten that song, Barbara. It was one of my favourites. It goes on the playlist right after I post this!

• Misky

05/05/2015 at 11:22 am

I’d forgotten about that song. 🙂

• Mr. Walker

06/05/2015 at 8:48 pm

Always have Queen on my playlist – and now Juice Newton has been added! Ah, 1981!

3. e

05/05/2015 at 11:17 am

Another Bites The Dust…yep I had the 45😉

05/05/2015 at 11:19 am

I believe you’ll recall this one: tweaked and twisted and re-threaded. https://miskmask.wordpress.com/2015/05/04/for-phoenix-rising-a-poem-to-memories/

• barbcrary

05/05/2015 at 11:27 am

Yeah, what I said over there, Misky. This remains one of my favorites from the month, even better when tweaked a bit.

• Misky

05/05/2015 at 11:54 am

I think a lot of them will benefit from a tweak or two. 🙂

05/05/2015 at 12:34 pm

Here’s a proper one for you. I think you’ll recognise this also. I plan to tweak further under my cloaking device….

05/05/2015 at 6:01 pm

I did a prompt for today that I stretched from the shadows of labels…

05/05/2015 at 9:37 pm

Hello!! I’ve missed your talk – our talks – Margo…and I missed out on a LOT of your poetry this month as well…so it seems to go. Good thing I have some time to catch up. But not tonight…I had a stick talk directly to the white of my eyeball…I was lopping dead stuff and a branch went behind my glasses…I think I’ll be fine but screen time is making it ache soooo…guess I better be good and sleep…let it heal. ;( That’s me closing one eye…sorry for the huge novel…I’ve been a little wonky today – the pruning therapy helped though overall…satisfying.

I hope you’ve been well…a round of applause to you for your productive poetry month, Margo! :)’s

Here’s one from me…

06/05/2015 at 9:46 am

You know what? The odd novel here and there is good for one, as is pruning. Except when one gets over enthusiastic and the greenery attacks!

Take care of that eye. Maybe get some ointment, hmmm?

• Hannah Gosselin

06/05/2015 at 6:53 pm

I’m agreeing with you…both good, I think, too and the eye is much, much better today…SO glad and thank you, too for the suggestion…I told myself that if I woke up and it was worse that I’d head straight for the docs for an ointment…can’t mess around with the eyes! 🙂 I hope you’ve had a pleasant day – it’s been way beautiful here.

8. georgeplace2013

06/05/2015 at 9:06 am

Off to the dentist, ugh. Be back later to read and comment.

06/05/2015 at 10:01 am

Yay! Not the dentist. You. I’ve been waiting for people, like a mother hen.

9. whimsygizmo

06/05/2015 at 4:37 pm

Yay! I have wanted to play with the haiku discombobulator since the day I read that one on PoMoSco (mainly because I thought of a title I wanted), but I never had the chance. Played around today:

10. Mr. Walker