PoMoSco Day 29

29 Apr

I’m still alive and kicking. Okay, maybe not kicking. Today’s prompt was… interesting: Choose a source text where key terms reappear frequently throughout. Books on a particular subject (e.g., whaling, basketball, the Civil War) lend themselves easily to this prompt, as do textbooks, medical journals, etc. Fiction is harder, but you may challenge yourself!

Choose 1-5 of these recurring terms. In a source text about chess, you might choose the words “pawn” and “board.” For each word you’ve chosen, select a replacement word. In the example above, you might choose to replace “pawn” with “woman” and “board” with “home.” Substitute the replacement word(s) on your list each time the original term(s) appear(s) in the text. Create a poem, keeping editing and authorial intervention to a minimum. Got that? Here’s mine: Bookcombing Tips For Southern Florida

Other substitutions (and be sure you look to see what the source text is):

Misky: What Do Kisses Drink

james w. moore: poets of the Wolf — this one is giving me much pleasure. I left a tab open the third time I hunted it down to reread. The two items giving me much joy are picturing specific writers from the PoMoSco group as the wolves, howling, of course. Or, peopling the landscape with famous poets.

Massimo Soranzio: After

Richard Walker: the pursuit of happiness

Rebecca Siegel: On Swarming

Barbara C: Freeing the Muse

Gary Glauber: Replacing and Installing Your WF yes, it is long, but what a giggle

Nancy Chen Long: Glitter Roses Are Beautiful Moons Too

Enjoy these. I will see you tomorrow for the final poem.

Posted by on 29/04/2015 in exercises, poems, poetry, pomosco

Tags: , , , ,

10 responses to “PoMoSco Day 29

29/04/2015 at 9:43 am

James’s and Gary’s both had me in stitches with laughter… >

29/04/2015 at 9:45 am

I know. I made it to the third ‘floozy’ before I broke down and james’ ‘poets of the minivan carcass’ is too fun.

• Misky

29/04/2015 at 11:13 am

I was laughing at the first floozy.

29/04/2015 at 10:32 am

I like that. But then I like beaches, and all the gifts the ocean brings.

Almost done. I’ll be posting Z tomorrow. But I did some small verse here (for a prompt):

3. whimsygizmo

29/04/2015 at 8:57 pm

This too a loooooong time today. First, choosing source text, then choosing each word sub. Kinda like the results, though. 😉

4. Carol Carlisle

30/04/2015 at 11:18 am

Glad to see you’re still at it, stitching together our world together with poems.

05/05/2015 at 10:59 am

Carol! I saw this on the fly a few days ago. I have learned not to take things out of my inbox until answered :-). I’ll stitch til I run out and that’ll be a while, yet. It’s good to see you. Keep coming by. Your smile makes me smile.

• Carol Carlisle

10/05/2015 at 4:02 pm

Keeping track is always difficult. I get you on an old email I may delete you then fallow you again. Fingers crossed I don’t loose you.