PoMoSco Day 27

27 Apr

Three more days. Hard to believe. But, I will have many poems in my revision bag that I am happy about reworking. Today’s prompt is an erasure by chance: Start with two dice and your source text. You’ll want to work with a smaller section of text for this one. For each line, roll the dice. Erase or remove the word in that line that corresponds with the number that comes up (i.e., if you roll an eight, erase the eighth word in that line). Continue to work through the text, re-rolling the dice for each line, until you’ve reached the end of your source text solution.

Repeat, removing additional words, until you arrive at your poem. Experiment with space, illustration or other visual presentation to engage with the relative silence created.

I chose another Adrienne Rich poem to work with and came up with: Child’s Poet Dreaming.

More Spaced Out Poems:

Misky: Shades Beneath White

Barbara C: Appalachian Dream

Richard Walker: judgmental in trusting

Rebecca Siegel: Map

Pamela Sayers: A Tease Around the Eyes

Gary Glauber: Thinking

Doug Luman: Audubon Field Report: Aphelocoma Coerulescens

I’ve known this throughout, but reading today’s poems brought home how differently we each approach writing a poem, how differently we interpret a prompt. Fascinating. Enjoy these. Tomorrow is another angst-filled prompt, for me, but should provide many interesting approaches.

Posted by on 27/04/2015 in exercises, poems, poetry, pomosco

Tags: , , , , ,

9 responses to “PoMoSco Day 27

27/04/2015 at 10:00 am

To sleep perchance to dream…

I worked outside yesterday, but I completed my ‘names’ early. So here’s:

2. Pamela

27/04/2015 at 12:50 pm

Thanks for the mention, Margo. I just got home from prepa and now I need a little siesta, because I have more classes this evening.

Pamela ox

27/04/2015 at 12:52 pm

Have a restful siesta, Pamela. xo

3. whimsygizmo

27/04/2015 at 9:57 pm

Meh. Source text is everything. Not thrilled with my choice here.

28/04/2015 at 7:41 am

But the last two stanzas are worth the meh!

4. N@ncy

28/04/2015 at 4:38 am

Thank you so much for your kinds words or encouragement. I will read your blog and try to grasp some basics about poetry. I have always avoided reading this genre, why? I was captivated by a book I read for my challenge to read Nobel Prize winners. I read Les Vaines Tendresses by the poet Sully Prudhomme. He was awarded the first Noble Prize. He uses simple words which leave unforgettable images in the mind. That reading experience has triggerd my keen interest in poetry. I will have to read much more about poetry, try an excercise to build up my ‘weak poetry’ muscles. No pain…no gain!

5. quillfyre

28/04/2015 at 7:52 am

I have many edits to come in May too, Margo. Love the Dream… I have 3 1/2 to go. Just hoping I haven’t left too many difficult ones to the end…

28/04/2015 at 8:00 am

We’re well-prepped to do the final poems, Carol. You’ll make it.