PoMoSco Day 23

23 Apr

Today’s is an interesting exercise. Jenni & Co. wanted to be sure we are familiar with online erasing tools (I hear the groans, those who know me and tech). I did it the hard way because the directions were the simplest. Instructions:

Open your source text in Photoshop — when you do so, it automatically opens the image in its own layer. Add a new layer on top of your source text. Select the brush tool and choose a colour swatch of your choice. You can use the eyedropper tool to select the colour of your page background (for a true erasure look), or select another colour of your choice. Paint over your source text, obscuring lines until only the words of your erasure poem remain.

For a video tutorial, watch Jenni B. Baker’s 8-minute demonstration of how she creates erasure poems for her Erasing Infinite project (well worth a watch if you want to try erasure poetry).

Save your completed work as an image file (JPG or PNG preferred) and upload it to the site.

After I received a translation of what I was to do, I ended up with: Once Then Nothing.

Other erasures:

james w. moore: never burn out

Barbara C: without surrender

Annie Razz: Poet Tree

Richard Walker: Grade 5

Misky: Two Cocks

Rebecca Siegel: Last Expedition

Vinita Agrawal: Centuries

Marsha Schuh: Chiarascuro

What? I know, but they’re short. Okay, Richard’s is not short (or long), but it is fun. Just a couple more.

Jamison Crabtree: ashes on cream

Angela K. Brown: Articulate Word

There is a wide assortment of the type of thing that can be done. Enjoy. See you tomorrow for a prompt I dreaded that turns out to be one of my favourite ways to play.

Posted by on 23/04/2015 in exercises, poems, poetry, pomosco

Tags: , , , , , ,

7 responses to “PoMoSco Day 23

23/04/2015 at 9:35 am

I am a fan of creating rather than erasing. But I like what you did.
    I combined some prompts for this:

The haiku of the haibun is more Japanese style. Enjoy 🙂

23/04/2015 at 11:38 am

There were some really good poem today. >

23/04/2015 at 12:18 pm

There were! And, erasure isn’t my fav to read. I enjoyed many of them.

3. Gary

23/04/2015 at 5:38 pm

Oh well – guess my Proustian jealousy didn’t make the cut. Sigh.

25/04/2015 at 9:22 am

I keep smiling when I think of you in a fit of Proustian jealousy.

4. whimsygizmo

23/04/2015 at 8:26 pm

Ffffffffffffft. That is the sound of the air officially running out of my tires. Bloody Mary?

I have no Photoshop skills, and no time to learn today. I want to, though. I’ve seen some beautiful erasures done that way. Heading over to read yours now.

24/04/2015 at 7:50 am

I took lessons once… pfttttttt, indeed. I resorted to Microsoft paint6 and painfully erased every speck of black I could. Painful only in that I left in a lot of words to work the eraser around and my hands have the faintest of aging tremors. The language was colourful (although pretty tame, as I only use old-fashioned swear words).