PoMoSco Day 22

22 Apr

Hello. I am missing our usual routine on Wordgathering and missing the chat with the usual people. May is coming with a return to the regular schedule!

Instructions: Choose a phone number — can be made up. Write out the full number (including any area codes) as a series of digits without dashes or parentheses. Decide what your numbers will correspond to — words, sentences or pages. If your first number is two (2), you could grab the second word on a page, the second sentence on a page, or the second page in the book. Do this for each digit. You can cycle through the phone number series multiple times to generate enough text for your poem.

Mine: Living on a Dragon.

Other dialed in poems:

Misky: It Melted to Wax

Barbara C: Before the Battle

Richard Walker: setting

Doug Luman: Audubon Field Report: Chordeiles Minor

Lori Brack: parable

Short and sweet. Enjoy and I’ll see you tomorrow for a prompt I found difficult to carry out, but love the result.

Posted by on 22/04/2015 in exercises, poems, poetry, pomosco

Tags: , , , ,

15 responses to “PoMoSco Day 22

22/04/2015 at 10:08 am

Awe. I love me dragons. But then I also have a house full of other different stuff relating to what I like best. Cool way to construct a poem. One could use the nagging telemarketers number…

I added S:

Normal? Is usual normal? 😉
    Just a few more days… You can do it.

22/04/2015 at 10:18 am

Depends how you define normal 😉 I’ve been so glad to have you along, jules.

• julespaige

22/04/2015 at 10:36 am

Maybe I’ll be able to go back and look at all of your verse for this month. I have them saved though. Tues and Thurs are kind of busy…

22/04/2015 at 11:46 am

I loved yours today. >

22/04/2015 at 11:48 am

Thank you. I disliked it until I got the idea to have short lines, then I loved it!

3. whimsygizmo

22/04/2015 at 5:56 pm

Questions!
    Can you talk me through your exact number usage? I had the bright idea to do the first word on the first page, 7th word on the 7th page, etc., for each of the numbers in my phone number, but it’s not working out so well. What did you assign to what? MAN, I hate numbers…

22/04/2015 at 6:29 pm

I may have tweaked a tiny bit to make things work. I rolled both dice to get a page, and both dice or one die to get the line. I felt no compunction about losing words that didn’t work… or about rerolling.

• whimsygizmo

22/04/2015 at 6:35 pm

This is the phone number one, though…how did you do the phone number numbers?

22/04/2015 at 6:40 pm

Right. Sorry. Bloody Mary effect.

I made that work for me, too. If the first number is a 2, I check the second page, second line. If I’m not thrilled and my first two numbers are 20, I check the 20ieth page, second line. (why it is a good reason to have a longer text.) Go from the top, from the bottom… remember that, normally, you would not put an iron-clad restriction on yourself.

• whimsygizmo

22/04/2015 at 6:43 pm

Maybe I just need to switch my source text…I played second page second line, etc…after trying just words. Maybe a book of poetry will work better. I was going with C.S. Lewis. 😉

4. whimsygizmo

22/04/2015 at 6:44 pm

Also, pour me a bloody Bloody Mary! It’s only 3:42 here, and I have two junior highers with homework, and a church meeting tonight, so I shall live vicariously. 😉 Extra spicy, please.

22/04/2015 at 6:59 pm

Extra spicy it is.

If there is one thing I have learned this month, it’s that the source text is key.

5. whimsygizmo

22/04/2015 at 7:12 pm

Holy cow. Sooooo much easier with a book of poetry. I used Roethke’s Words for the Wind, and it blew right together. 😉

23/04/2015 at 7:38 am

I have used Adrienne Rich and today’s you might recognise even without the source. Finding from poems makes life a lot better!

6. whimsygizmo

22/04/2015 at 7:16 pm

PS: I think Roethke and I are gonna hang out for the rest of the week. It’s been awhile, and he rocks. Wishin’ I had a Bloody Mary in my hand…