Poem Tryouts: Will You Dance?

31 Mar

listening to Walk the Moon’s Shut Up and Dance

Hello, everyone. First, to all the writers of last week’s poems, my apologies for not visiting, yet. This week has been one of those weeks. I look forward to spending some time amongst you, later today. Today’s image prompt went out the window (or back into its folder) when I opened an email from my niece (no, not the one in Boulder, the one in DC) and watched her YouTube find.

I love dance movies and, invariably, they are good movies. Some wonderful person took three minutes worth of dance scenes and set them to Shut Up and Dance. In her email, my niece dared us not to smile. I was smiling by the third dance. By the end, I wanted to rewatch all the movies. So, here’s the deal. Watch the video all the way through. Then watch it again. This time pause it at scenes you find are nudging at you.

You can write about the scene, or part of the scene, as if it were a still image.

You can write about the time you went to that particular movie.

You can write about dance in your life. Almost all of us have dancing somewhere in our lives. Do you have a time that will make a poem?

You can write about the significance of a particular dance.

You can dance your way to anything you wish to.

I will see you again, for our regular poetry posts, Friday the 1st of May. Throughout April, I shall post a link to my poem each day, so you will be seeing me for thirty days. I think.

Happy writing, all. To those taking part in any of the April poem a day challenges, I salute you. Let’s go!

Posted by on 31/03/2015 in exercises, poetry

Tags: , , , , , ,

25 responses to “Poem Tryouts: Will You Dance?

1. barbcrary

31/03/2015 at 9:27 am

All right, lady, you are the best at this! How could you find the one thing that would draw my attention away from all that other stuff and focus me on a Tuesday (March31, by the way!) prompt. Brava, friend, brava.

31/03/2015 at 9:32 am

As I used to tell my students: I am a teacher and a mother, a deadly combination 😀

2. Sasha A. Palmer

31/03/2015 at 9:38 am

Thank you, Margo (and Margo’s niece :-)) – I was smiling the whole way through.

“Billy Elliot” always gets me, such a great story. And love that tango scene from “Scent of a Woman”. Always gets me, too.

Many movies I didn’t recognize..

Okay, I’m about to hit ‘replay’ and smile some more..

31/03/2015 at 9:40 am

Double bonus for me, with this video, Sasha: I get to laugh with delight at people’s comments.

31/03/2015 at 10:25 am

Wow. The content’s blocked by “SME” due to copyright issues “in my country”. By the way, BeetleJuice is one of my fav movies. 🙂

31/03/2015 at 10:31 am

Wow, indeed. Wander around YouTube and find a dance scene snippet! I love BeetleJuice.

4. http://vivinfrance.wordpress.com

31/03/2015 at 11:29 am

Loved the movie sequence, specially those penguins. Here’s one I wrote a couple of weeks ago about dance in my younger life: https://vivinfrance.wordpress.com/2015/03/10/dance-delight/

Jock being a fabulous dancer was what bowled me over the first time we met. We were married 5 weeks later. I may have another poem later….

31/03/2015 at 11:39 am

ViV, I love dance, don’t know how to but it moves me. I love that Jock is a fabulous dancer and that’s what caught you.

5. barbcrary

31/03/2015 at 11:40 am

This is what I’ve got on a busy day. Thanks so very much for such fun, Margo.

6. barbcrary

31/03/2015 at 11:41 am

And I just decided to edit this upon a reread. Watch this space.

7. barbcrary

31/03/2015 at 11:45 am

Final word – except I wanted a big space between “tangled” and “reality,” but didn’t get there with several edits and need to be done now.

31/03/2015 at 11:53 am

Laughing. I’ll come back over.

31/03/2015 at 11:54 am

Why can’t you just hit the space bar a few times?

• barbcrary

31/03/2015 at 12:00 pm

For whatever reason, it didn’t format for me. I also did the “paste and match style” from my Pages document. I don’t have time to play with it for as long as I might on some other day. I apparently have another poem (or two or thirty) to write.

31/03/2015 at 3:04 pm

Perfect timing, Margo! I was dancing a lot last week! 🙂

31/03/2015 at 6:33 pm

Have to look at the dancing later. Going for food soon.

Little Miss and I like to dance to the oldies. 🙂
    Guess though she doesn’t have much of a choice as that’s all I play 😉

Good luck to everyone next month – no foolin’!

01/04/2015 at 11:08 am

You and I have that in common: dancing to the oldies! Thanks for the good luck 🙂

10. Mr. Walker

31/03/2015 at 8:50 pm

Wasn’t planning to write anything today, but Margo, you got me. Here is the link to my poem: https://sadlywaiting.wordpress.com/2015/03/31/letting-down/

11. David J. Bauman

02/04/2015 at 12:34 am

I needed this. And your challenge here, simply inspired. I’ll let you know what comes of it.

02/04/2015 at 8:37 am

Thank you, David. I look forward to ‘what comes of it’.