Poetics Serendipity

05 Mar

listening to Queen singing We Are the Champions

Hello, all. I have a diversity of goodies, today. I have packing to do and borscht to make (when one’s husband arrives home and excitedly produces produce grown by colleagues, what is one to do?), so we will jump right in.

1] Robert Lee Brewer opens his post with: It’s time! Time for the 8th annual April PAD Challenge on the Poetic Asides blog, and I’m super excited about it. I’m happy to report that we’ll have the anthology and a new round of guest judges this year (more on both below).

Many of you have participated in Robert’s PAD Challenges. If you haven’t and are looking for a place to hang your poetic hat during April, head over to read what else Robert says. His post offers the complete guidelines.

2] This is a follow-up on two previous PS items. Two weeks ago I mentioned the University of Iowa’s free online course, upcoming. Now, I have words from a participant: I did this MOOC last year, and plan to use it again this Spring. The materials are good, and presented clearly. You can choose your level of involvement: to watch a video now and then if that’s all you want; to go all out–writing, critiquing, discussing points with others in the forums, writing essays–as if it were a seminar; or anything in between. Barbara says one or two more things, if you want to visit her.

The second item is that, sadly, The Poetry Storehouse has closed for business. You can still visit and wander through its archives. Here’s the why and wherefore, from Nic Sebastian. Stay tuned.

3] Here’s your thought-provoking item: The Most Successful Creative People Constantly Say ‘No’, written by Kevin Ashton for Business Insider (trust me). I skimmed the first part, thought, Maybe, and began to move on. Something held me. I reread the first part, where Ashton offers statements by a few people, and read further into the article.

The author is clearly a creative. He says, Creating consumes. It is all day, every day. It knows neither weekends nor vacations. It is not when we feel like it. It is habit, compulsion, obsession, vocation. The common thread that links creators is how they spend their time. Sound familiar? Read the article.

4] Of interest: The Pubslush Foundation revealed a new grant for National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo). How about a $10, 000 prize? The item is short and I know many of you take part in NaNoWriMo or know people who do, or know people who want to.

I will see you tomorrow for the week’s roundup of prompts and then not until Tuesday 17th for my weekly prompt.

Happy writing, everyone.

Posted by on 05/03/2015 in links, poetry, writing

Tags: , , , , , ,

19 responses to “Poetics Serendipity

1. kneal1

05/03/2015 at 9:28 am

love the articles you listed here wonderful and insightful

05/03/2015 at 9:49 am

Thanks, Krissy (of course, I came over to meet you :-)).

• kneal1

05/03/2015 at 9:50 am

feeling loved all smiles thanks Margo

05/03/2015 at 9:42 am

Packing again… safe travels. The only place I’m going…once the snow stops is outside to shovel. At least school was closed so my grandees are home safe with Mommy.

I’m working on a new addition to a new series… but this one follows the last haibun for you (- burn) and is also a haibun… so you might find it interesting:

05/03/2015 at 9:52 am

I tell you what, Jules. Once we are completely moved in to our ‘final’ home, it will take an earthquake for Skip to winkle me out to travel down the road, never mind across states.

On my way.

3. http://vivinfrance.wordpress.com

05/03/2015 at 10:04 am

Thank you, Margo, for all the hard work you put into these serendipitous posts. I haven’t decided if I’m brave enough for PAD this year. Having had a rather lean writing time lately I don’t know if I have 30 poems in me!

05/03/2015 at 10:18 am

I learn and read so much I might not otherwise, ViV, so I am grateful for a reason to find these things. I’m doing the Found Poetry Review’s challenge again. So are Misky and Barbara. Rather than ditch the whole thing you might plan to write what they call small stones. That takes a lot of pressure off. Otherwise, sit back and read what comes forth from others. You’re allowed a year off… only one, mind you.

4. MarinaSofia

05/03/2015 at 10:11 am

Have just read the article on creative people saying No – and it’s so true. Now all I need to do is learn how to say it.

05/03/2015 at 10:21 am

Tell you what, MarinaSofia, it gets easier with practice, especially once you realise most people are fine with nos. They just turn to someone else. It took a while for me to realise people asked me first because I never said no. Now, I look to what I call my ‘stress alert flag’. If someone asks me to do something and even a hint of the flag pops out, I say no. It’s a lovely place to be!

• MarinaSofia

05/03/2015 at 10:44 am

I’ve started saying No to parents’ associations and volunteering at school. On some level, I feel bad about it, but on the other hand, I’ve paid my dues and it’s not what I want to be remembered for…

05/03/2015 at 12:07 pm

Yay!! April!! Thank you, for the links and updates, Margo. I hope your music and happy thoughts cause your packing to be smooth and productive. Hugs!

6. brian miller

05/03/2015 at 5:27 pm

i hear you on the saying NO…i am doing more of that in my life and clearing my plate a bit
    and its amazing the rejuvenating you feel when you have time once again to be creative…ha…

05/03/2015 at 5:31 pm

Brian, it may be one of the most important things I learned to do. Stick with it.

How lovely to have you visit!

7. Mary

05/03/2015 at 8:43 pm

I always learn something when I visit your blog, Margo. I must make a habit of doing it MUCH more often.

06/03/2015 at 10:34 am

Thank you, Mary. You gave me my morning laugh. If I don’t see you in a while, I’ll poke.

8. Björn Rudberg (brudberg)

06/03/2015 at 5:32 am

Ouch… The saying no.. when I just have said my yes…. hmm maybe some day (and there are things I’m declining too…) What you present here sounds like the best info possible. 🙂

06/03/2015 at 10:33 am

Thank you, Bjorn.

Re saying No, I was thirty-eight before I finally tried it. The other person was so ‘Okay. I’ll ask someone else’ that it was a revelation.