Poem Tryouts: Burn, Baby! Burn!

03 Mar

listening to My Little Town sung by Simon & Garfunkel

Hello, all. Everyone hanging in there, while our weather figures out what the heck it’s going to do next? Spring (Autumn) always does come, never hasn’t (in our time). We’ll get there. Meanwhile we have what might look like another image prompt. Despite appearances it isn’t, although you may ignore the prompt and write the image, if you wish.

Every now and then, my planned prompt is derailed, usually by a family member sending something that I don’t want to wait on. My brother in California sent this image of the Cape Town fire. Click on it to get the full size.

cape town fire 2015

While I never played with matches, fire fascinates me. Despite being one of the more terrifying elements, I can sit and watch a fire for hours. Think about fire, for a moment. How do you feel about it? What are your experiences with fires, small or large, wild or controlled?

I have three enduring images. One occurred in Northern Greece:

After harvest, Greek farmers
burn their fields. Thin lines of fire
snake across the hillsides. Ahead
of the blaze, a line of storks stalk,
catching frogs and rabbits
trying to outrun the flames.

The second was in California, while I was driving south with my mother. The fire was in an enclosed canyon, so that the flames shot high in the air. We pulled off the road and watched the helicopters trying to drop gallons of water on the conflagration

The final is a photograph that family friends posted of their home after the Colorado fire a couple of years ago. All that was left, aside from a charred pile of timbers, was their playground set, the plastic melted into some surrealistic, Dali-esque form.

You may write about something you experienced, or read about, or feel, or you might write from the point of view of the fire, or you might address the fire.

I will see you Thursday for links and things; and, Friday for this week’s roundup of prompts. Next week, the blog will probably go dark. It’s Spring Break and we are heading to San Antonio to check on my mom and start the process of our own move. I will see you on the 17th for my prompt.

Happy writing, everyone.

Posted by on 03/03/2015 in exercises, poetry

Tags: , , ,

23 responses to “Poem Tryouts: Burn, Baby! Burn!

1. http://vivinfrance.wordpress.com

03/03/2015 at 9:45 am

Your thoughts on the timing of the arrival of spring (maybe) link with a course I am studying at the moment on Climate Change, and I know that nothing is certain any more, unless people can be persuaded to live differently.

My son once accidentally set fire to the field at the back of the house, when burning some rubbish. My shaking hand could hardly dial 999, I was so frightened. My then husband couldn’t understand why he wasn’t met at the station, and walking home, was horrified to see the fire engine outside the house. The fire was soon extinguished, but there were no blackberries that year.

I’ve gone a more peaceful route today: https://vivinfrance.wordpress.com/2015/03/03/kindling-3/

03/03/2015 at 10:28 am

As we grow older and begin to forget to turn off coffee makers and stoves, I am becoming quite paranoid. As entranced as I am by flame, it horrifies me with its destructive capabilities. Yet, as you point out, the earth needs fire to refresh itself.

2. http://vivinfrance.wordpress.com

03/03/2015 at 9:46 am

PS I love your little descriptive poem. The potash from the burning aids the fertility of the soil.

03/03/2015 at 10:28 am

I’ve been wanting to write that for a while. The time was right!

• Hannah Gosselin

03/03/2015 at 12:08 pm

I agree with Viv!! So glad that you got the chance to express it poetically, Margo. šŸ™‚

03/03/2015 at 10:03 am

I can’t help it when the prompts fit… but I turned it into a haibun for you.

03/03/2015 at 10:31 am

Laughing, Jules. I love that you did that.

03/03/2015 at 12:07 pm

Oops…I didn’t pingback because I forgot to add link…fixed it though…any way…here’s a fiery poem from me!

Thank you, Margo and whoa (!) you’re moving?! I hope it’s a welcomed move. šŸ™‚

03/03/2015 at 4:15 pm

We-ell. Not so much. Having told my mother we were moving back to San Antonio and her moving there on the strength of that rather ties our hands. if she had done well with the move we would stay another year, probably. She didn’t so we aren’t. Sigh. Life is never simple, is it.

• Hannah Gosselin

04/03/2015 at 11:57 am

No…it really isn’t. I’m sorry she’s having a tough time…my grandmother has had a difficult time with her move to assisted living facility and we’re having a hard time as there’re quite a few balls being dropped on too regular of a basis…we’re having to do a lot more than what we should need to since they’re being paid…of course we love her and want to care for her but we’re also taking care of our own young families and “trying” to have lives of our own…our parents dropped the ball and it’s on us! Yay! šŸ˜‰

03/03/2015 at 4:12 pm

6. purplepeninportland

04/03/2015 at 10:57 pm

Stunning photo, Margo. I enjoyed your poem.
    Mine is up at: https://purplepeninportland.wordpress.com/2015/03/05/faces-of-fire/

05/03/2015 at 1:42 pm

Thank you, Sara. I was glad of the chance to write it.

7. b_y

05/03/2015 at 10:33 am

05/03/2015 at 1:42 pm

Enh! What is time but a man made construct. You got here, didn’t you?!