Poetics Serendipity

12 Feb

listening to the Weather Channel, and Gordon Lightfoot singing Crossroads

Hello, everyone. Are we all (the U.S. all) watching the cold front bearing down from Canada? We’re supposed to drop forty degrees here, tonight, and not go up, tomorrow. That’s quite a plunge. I may be able to pull out some winter clothing. Let’s see what I have to keep you occupied should you be stuck indoors.

1] At Write to Done, Bryan Collins gives us 7 Barriers to Writing You Can Leap Over Today. There are so many of this type of article out there that I give new ones a close read but, I am also a proponent of reminders. Every now and then we need to read this type of post. Collins writes with clarity, succinctness and humour. When he quoted Stephen King, he had me.

2] The Write Life presents us with The 100 Best Websites for Writing. Collected by Carrie Smith, it’s quite a collection; you may want to pull out the coffee mug and get comfortable. Smith says, in her introduction:

We’ve broken the list into eight categories: blogging, creativity and craft, entrepreneurship, freelancing, literary agents, marketing, publishing, and writing communities. The sites are listed in alphabetical order within each category, and the numbers are included for easy tracking rather than as a ranking.

Whether you’re keen to find better-paying freelance writing jobs or self-publish your NaNoWriMo project, build your email list or strengthen your SEO skills, these sites will help you reach your goals.

3] Diane Lockward, on her site Blogalicious (you still haven’t signed up for her newsletter, why?) talks to us about Seven Snazzy Online Journals. One of the more difficult parts of writing is where to submit, especially with online journals, which often have a short shelf life. As she says, Online journals are not all created equal and, quite frankly, some of them are dreadful. There’s no sense in submitting your lovely poems to a journal you wouldn’t be proud to have them in. Before telling us about the seven journals, Lockward discusses what makes an online journal a good one.

4] I can’t remember whether I have posted someone’s blog post (as opposed to an online article) as a must read. I ‘met’ poet Ian Badcoe, recently, in an online poetry group. I found the post, Publishing the other self… to be intriguing in the points raised by Badcoe. His initial premise: I wonder whether the whole idea of “self publishing” being different from “publishing” isn’t a historical artefact left over from the time that publishing was difficult. He goes on to list what makes a publisher, compares it to a self-publishing outfit, YouTube, reminds us of Sturgeon’s Law (well, you’re going to have to read the article), then suggests a direction poets can take that might legitimise self-publishing. As he reminds us, self-published books are (rightly or wrongly) regarded with suspicion.

That should do nicely. I will see you tomorrow for the roundup of this week’s prompts; Tuesday for my prompt; and next Thursday for more links and things.

Happy writing, everyone.

Posted by on 12/02/2015 in links, poetry, writing

Tags: , , , ,

11 responses to “Poetics Serendipity

1. b_y

12/02/2015 at 9:04 am

It was about 40′ when I woke up a couple of hours ago. Twenty-eight, now, and the wind’s beginning to howl. I know it’s just a paper cut by comparison, but…damn

12/02/2015 at 9:05 am

We have the howling wind part. The temperatures are going to mess with us today by going up to sixty. Yeh, but it’s our papercut, so damn!

12/02/2015 at 10:11 am

Turn your back for a minute… Our high today will be in the 40s.

2. barbcrary

12/02/2015 at 1:59 pm

You are the best, Margo. I’ve been trying to figure out how to leap over a few of those barriers all week long – which is why I’ve not yet cast a poem from your Tuesday challenge. Overthinking, perfectionism, WWMT, etc. Thanks for all the food for thought here!

16/02/2015 at 7:54 am

Why, thank you, Barb. I do find these articles work well as reminders to myself.

12/02/2015 at 3:24 pm

Someone anyone want to explain SEO and why I get offers relegated to my spam to go watch a 5 minute video to improve traffic. Really I get enough as it is – traffic that hasn’t anything to do with writing or poetry that is.

Say warm everybody. It’s 34F here which is normal – after all it is winter.
    But we have hope a whole flock of robins stopped by my back yard this morning.

16/02/2015 at 7:53 am

I can never hang onto this one, Jules. According to Wikipedia: Search engine optimization (SEO) is the process of affecting the visibility of a website or a web page in a search engine’s “natural” or un-paid (“organic”) search results. Grin.

• julespaige

16/02/2015 at 8:03 am

Hang on… I think I’ll bury that. If it is so blankity fantastic then why do those ‘comments’ end up in the spam section? The ad used to come attached to spoofed e-mails. I wrote back to one of the e-mails once and the person said they didn’t send it and they weren’t polite in their reply either. I’ve got that ‘SEO’ now tagged as a don’t show me or banned from all of my WP blogs.
        So I haven’t seen any for a long time. Thank goodness.

1) I’m taking time to watch a 5 minute commercial. 2) I’m not paying to get more traffic that is unrelated to my needs 3) SEO falls into junk mail and telemarketing. If I want your business I’ll come looking for it. Stop hounding me.

But I suppose like any business it has value to those who can use it and take advantage of it. Thanks.

13/02/2015 at 1:38 pm

This, “Protect your time and concentrate on developing the habit of writing every day.” YES! I’ve been saying lately that I’m taking my life back in twenty minute chunks…whether it be my daily eliptical run, reading, walking, talking on the phone with a friend or family member and equally important…writing! Great stuff, Margo…thank you and happy weekend to you. :)!

16/02/2015 at 7:54 am

Keep taking it back, Hannah. It gets easier and easier to make sure you protect it.

• Hannah Gosselin