Poetics Serendipity

05 Feb

listening to The House You’re Building sung by Audrey Assad

Hello, everyone. Shall we get to it? I had a bit of a lie in and my brain isn’t even up to talking about the weather (and that’s one of my favourite topics — for real). Let’s see what we have.

1] First up, an announcement. There was much popping of metaphorical corks earlier this week when Robert Lee Brewer announced the winners of his November PAD chapbook contest. I heard the corks because two of the top five are people I know and whose names you have seen on this blog’s Tuesdays, often. Out of one hundred manuscripts, here are the top five:

1. A Good Passion, by Barbara Young
  2. A Nest of Shadormas, by William Preston
  3. The Staircase Before You, by Jess(i)e Marino
  4. Lives Other Than Our Own, by James Von Hendy
  5. 1991 Winter, by Marilyn Braendeholm

Particular congratulations to Barbara and Marilyn (aka Misky).

For those of you who don’t know who Robert is and why this is a rather big deal, here’s his writer’s bio: Senior Content Editor of the Writer’s Digest Writing Community and author of the poetry collection, Solving the World’s Problems (Press 53). He edits Poet’s Market, Writer’s Market, and Guide to Self-Publishing, in addition to writing a free weekly WritersMarket.com newsletter and poetry column for Writer’s Digest magazine.

2] I don’t know how many of you know Magma. They say of themselves: Like all the best poetry, Magma is always surprising. Every issue of Magma has a different editor, either members of our board or a prominent poet acting as a guest editor. It’s that fresh eye in each issue which gives Magma its unique variety. Magma publishes three times a year and, while they are UK based, they welcome all contributions (submissions). Their theme for the next issue is conversation. Visit them to see what they are about and whether you might not like to send in some poems.

3] I love this interview with poet Dana Gioia: Collaborating With Language. I found it in an issue of The Writer magazine and posted it back in 2013. I delighted in reading it again, thus decided you would too.

4] Finally, an excellent article, brought to us by Jessica Strawser, in Writer’s Digest: 5 Unexpected Lessons From Inside the Iowa Writers’ Workshop, written by Dina Nayeri.

Forgive my brevity. My computer is acting up and I want to get this posted fast. I will see you tomorrow for the week’s roundup of prompts; Tuesday for my prompt; and next Thursday for more links and such.

Happy writing, everyone.

Posted by on 05/02/2015 in links, poetry, writing

Tags: , , , , , , ,

7 responses to “Poetics Serendipity

1. b_y

05/02/2015 at 10:46 am

I think there may be a bottle or two still untapped, don’t know for sure. Almost more tickled for Misk than myself. (almost. won’t lie). Robert’s April Poem-a-Day challenge in 2009 was my reboot after 30 years off.

05/02/2015 at 12:01 pm

Couldn’t be more justified! Félicitations

• Hannah Gosselin

05/02/2015 at 12:59 pm

I’m so thrilled for both of you and then to add William to the mix!! Wow! Super congratulations to the whole list and yes, especially to you guys!

I forgot to submit! Ha! Funny thing is…it doesn’t bother me, (much), for me, the writing everyday is what makes my day.

Thank you, Margo for this post! 🙂 Hope your computer snaps out of it…I think it’s contagious…mine was being tweaky this morning, too! 😉

2. http://vivinfrance.wordpress.com

05/02/2015 at 10:47 am

Thanks for the reminder about Magma. I’ve been meaning to send my conversation poem, but it had slipped my mind, so your reminder was timely.

05/02/2015 at 11:06 am

Best to all the winners. I just didn’t have the time…
    Always like your ability Margo to share info knowing that I can come anytime to find it.

One of these days I might step out of my nom-de-plume and attempt more in regards to publishing. Until then… well, I’m still having a good time …writing.

06/02/2015 at 4:07 am

I’m definitely more pleased for b (and I won’t lie) because when I read some of her poetry I’m left like a rabbit stunned in headlights. I just stare at it when I finish reading it. It’s just amazingly good. My brain just soaks it up. Anyway, enough puffing up b. Thanks for the mention, Margo! I’m just glad that b prodded me into submitting this year.

Now back setting up my new AirMac!

06/02/2015 at 9:08 am

B’s poetry often leaves me feeling that way. I love her mind.