Poetics Serendipity

29 Jan

listening to One Night in Bangkok for the second time — it’s Houston’s song of the week and I love the beat; even more, I love his presentation of it, so you have the link; after all it’s link day and song and poetry… besides, there is a wonderful example of using an extended metaphor, in the blog

Hello, all. Does Margo sit around all day and look for links, you may have wondered. Yes, yes she does. I have quite a collection, which is why I will sometimes give a link to something written last year, or older. The good news about writing articles is that they don’t get old. Today’s group of links is rather diverse.

1] Let’s start with National Poetry Month’s poster for this coming April: 2015 poetry month

2] A reminder to register with the Found Poetry Review for their Poetry Month challenge, PoMoSco. So far, 170 poets from 37 states and 7 countries, have registered.

3] In my inbox: Drunken Boat, one of the world’s oldest electronic journals of the arts and the winner of a South by Southwest Web Award, is adding to our staff. We’re accepting applications for the positions of Managing Editor/co-Managing Editor, Production Editor, and NonFiction Editor. Full position descriptions available here.

We’ve been publishing an immense variety of work, especially innovative and experimental literature and arts, since 1999. We are an entirely volunteer staff, dedicated to literature and art and the internet (well, more like literature and the art on the internet, but we’re fans of the medium too). According to The Review Review:  “Drunken Boat is, or should be, central to any discussion of literature online or online literature . . . Drunken Boat is a . . . beautifully presented, carefully maintained space.”

Applicants with familiarity with working online and working in publishing are preferred. This is a great opportunity to be responsible with an independent publisher that publishes books and a highly-acclaimed journal and that reaches over a hundred thousand unique visitors annually worldwide. If you’re interested, please send a CV and a cover letter to Managing Editor Erica Mena at editorATdrunkenboatDOTcom

In case anyone is interested in an online editorial job.

4] You may have seen this on Facebook, but I don’t want to take a chance. If you haven’t read Neil Gaiman’s Advice to Those Who Just Can’t Get Their Thoughts on Paper, make sure your mouth is not full of coffee when you read.

I told you I had a diverse collection, today. I know, it looks long, but the post is actually short. I wanted to include the entire text of the letter from Drunken Boat. I will see you tomorrow for the week’s roundup of prompts; Tuesday for my prompt; and next Thursday for links and things.

Happy writing, everyone.

Posted by on 29/01/2015 in links, poetry, writing

Tags: , , , , ,

11 responses to “Poetics Serendipity

1. barbcrary

29/01/2015 at 10:04 am

My goodness. I love Neil Gaiman so much that I don’t even have to read what he wrote to be delighted that you’ve directed us to read him! Now off to do just that. 🙂

29/01/2015 at 10:09 am

Thanks for the laugh, Barbara! 😀

• julespaige

29/01/2015 at 6:59 pm

Hi ho, just to let you know I’m back. Thankfully not picked and maybe off the hook for a minimum of two years. If anyone wants proof that the government works slow…just ask me.

Best to you. 😉

2. Sasha A. Palmer

29/01/2015 at 1:52 pm

Hi,
    don’t know about this National Poetry Month poster…The first time I saw it it freaked me out. Today’s not that bad, still not crazy about it. Maybe it’ll grow on me by April..

29/01/2015 at 2:34 pm

I know what you mean, Sasha. I love the line, but am having to get used to the cartoon. I suspect the powers that be are going after the younger generation (which is a lovely thought!).

• Sasha A. Palmer

29/01/2015 at 3:05 pm

It is a lovely thought, but why talk down to the young? I don’t know why it’s bugging me. Maybe it’s just not my kind of cartoon. It’s my grumpy old self speaking 🙂

29/01/2015 at 3:47 pm

No, no, you make a good point. I don’t think the intention is to talk down. I think the intention is to attract, which you must admit is a difficult step with many children and poetry. I’m talking older children. I think all children like poetry, but many lose that at some point. If they [the ones running NPM] can attract their attention long enough to read the poetry line and check out what it’s about, maybe some of the kids will join in.

• Sasha A. Palmer

29/01/2015 at 4:39 pm

And kids enjoy graphic novels..a poster like this will probably look familiar and inviting. I guess it’s okay. Perhaps it started growing on me 🙂 Thanks for having me, Margo.

29/01/2015 at 3:48 pm

And you can grump away. I’m happy to have you 🙂

29/01/2015 at 7:01 pm

I write every day. I think I might just pass joining any particular group this year. With the distraction of grandchildren and all I’ll be lucky if I can get my daily pieces out. …
    But just for fun I did work on this multi-prompted haibun… based on, well you don’t have to guess.
    Yep. Deep breath, I’m back at my own ‘pad’.

29/01/2015 at 8:11 pm

#4!!! Made my day…brighter…this: “or skip any of the bits of the Muddle Puddle Tweetle Poodle Beetle Noodle Bottle Paddle Battle.” I love this share, Margo…I’ll have to come back for more later…for some reason my eyes went right to this one…I must have sensed it would inspire and cause me to laugh!

Thank you, and a happy week to you, Margo! 🙂