Tuesday Tryouts: Ruins

16 Dec

listening to Starships sung by Pentatonix/PTX

Hello everyone. This will be the last post until Tuesday, January 6 (I finally looked at a calendar and worked out when we would be traveling). My thought, therefore, is to have our image prompt, today. Yes? I thought so.

A couple of weeks ago, in an email my niece sent out, was a photograph captioned: A ruin from the Hessie Townsite that I thought Margo might enjoy for poem-prompt purposes. I loved the photo, immediately. A week ago, in a dVerse post, I read an excerpt from an anonymously written 8th century poem, ‘The Ruins’. On looking up the etymology of ‘ruins’ I found, directly from the Latin, a collapse, a rushing down, a tumbling down.

baylee ruins

Wondrous is this wall-stone, broken by fate,
the city burst apart, the giant-work crumbled.
Roofs are ruined, towers ruined,
rafters ripped away, hoarfrost on lime,
gaps in the storm-shelter, sheared and cut away
under-eaten by age.

While not quite the fortress being described in the excerpt, above, the photograph and the poem seem to fit together. Note how clever I am to have it actually snowing as you look at the photograph. What to write?

1] You can go for a straightforward response to the photograph.

2] You can describe a ruin you have seen, either at home, or in your travels; or one that you have seen on television that fascinates you.

3] You can ignore the photograph and the poem except as metaphors for some universal, or personal, truth.

4] You can go with the etymological meaning I gave you.

5] You can do whatever your heart desires, but you know that.

As always, consider that form equals content.

I shall see you again in 2015. May your next two weeks not be too terribly hectic. Until January 6 and a prompt.

Happy writing, everyone.

Posted by on 16/12/2014 in exercises, poetry

Tags: , , ,

43 responses to “Tuesday Tryouts: Ruins

1. georgeplace2013

16/12/2014 at 9:21 am

Merry Christmas, Margo. Praying for travel safety and a peaceful, prosperous New Year!

16/12/2014 at 10:55 am

Greetings, m. My darling friend, c, posted a photo of one of her dogs today (Tonton), and I’ve used it for the poem prompt. I will give this prompt another shot, perhaps more directly on topic, but lovely Ton just wouldn’t let me go.

16/12/2014 at 11:13 am

I like the tangent you took and am glad to have not missed Ton’s poem.

• Misky

16/12/2014 at 11:29 am

He’s such a clever boy, too. πŸ™‚

3. http://vivinfrance.wordpress.com

16/12/2014 at 12:00 pm

Have a lovely Christmas, Margo, and come back to us refreshed in 2015. Prepare for doom and gloom on my blog! http://vivinfrance.wordpress.com/2014/12/16/ruinous-rhyme/

4. Carol Carlisle

16/12/2014 at 1:51 pm

I couldn’t let you go off without a poem. I already had posted for today but I went back in and concocted this awkward as a camel piece…you’ll see.
    Merry Holidays https://margoroby.com/2014/12/16/tuesday-tryouts-ruins/

16/12/2014 at 2:38 pm

I am laughing and intrigued, Carol. Can’t wait to arrive at your place.
      Have a lovely and festive holiday and take lots of photos.

16/12/2014 at 9:09 pm

I love how your gentle snow-flurry happens within the image, too…brings an added something. πŸ™‚

I wrote this down and then went into the reading of the prompt and writing and I see that you also mention the cool factor of the snow falling in the picture…all this to say, it’s not lost on me, Margo!

This was great fun and just what I needed…thank you!

Wishing you safe travels and such a joyous and loving season of gathering!

17/12/2014 at 1:25 pm

Thank you for the year in your company, Hannah! I look forward to next year. Enjoy the holiday with all its ensuing madness πŸ˜€

• Hannah Gosselin

17/12/2014 at 1:53 pm

Margo!! Thank you, to you, too – you’re a Gem my friend! It’s been such a great year. :)!

I’m gonna try…it’s silly how little I’ve done so far :O luckily the grandmother sent along some goodies from Florida where she’s living now – I’ll fill up some stockings – that’s always the fun part any way! (Hugs))

6. purplepeninportland

16/12/2014 at 11:33 pm

Too clever, Margo. Love the snowflakes. Have a wonderful holiday season!

Mine is up at: http://purplepeninportland.wordpress.com/2014/12/17/in-ruins/

17/12/2014 at 1:28 pm

I enjoyed this one, Sara. Enjoy your holidays and I will see you in the new year.

7. rosross

17/12/2014 at 12:52 am

Merry Christmas everyone. We have sunshine in Ozlandia because Christmas means summer.

17/12/2014 at 1:31 pm

May you have sunshine and no fires in the coming new year, Ros. Merry Christmas.

8. ldsrr91

17/12/2014 at 2:08 am

Have a great Holiday!

17/12/2014 at 7:34 am

And to you, my friend. Good to see you!

17/12/2014 at 9:19 am

10. b_young

17/12/2014 at 10:06 am

17/12/2014 at 1:37 pm

I shall, Barbara. I will not walk and drink eggnog at the same time. Have a quiet holiday (at least relatively) and I will see you in the new year.

17/12/2014 at 1:38 pm

You just get wilder and wilder, Jules!

• julespaige

17/12/2014 at 1:59 pm

Maybe lack of sleep?… or time or a combination of them both? Getting up at the crack of dark 0′ thirty is the pits.
        Got to get the DIL to get a job closer to home. That would help.

I only used ‘Key’ words to unlock my wild world. Fun new word in ‘orenda’.

17/12/2014 at 2:04 pm

OK you want a simple one for one:

For the Red Wolf Wordle. πŸ™‚

12. markwindham

17/12/2014 at 8:15 pm

eh, a quick stab. more an escape from rational thought…and yet…still counting… πŸ˜‰

18/12/2014 at 6:10 am

Glad to see you before we take off. Packing the car is going to be worth money to watch.