Poem Tryouts: It’s Still About the Perspective

09 Dec

9:27 a.m. garland— Atlanta

listening to Danny Kaye singing C’est Si Bon

Hello, everyone. We have blue skies, sunshine and a chill in the air. Lovely stuff. While not sleeping last night, I had a conversation with myself that went something like this: That other site has flowers as a prompt. Okay, there can be two. Yeh, but… how about we shift. What else do we have? Death has been moved to January. Can’t have an image prompt because that’s on the 30th (when everyone will be frazzled and need something uncomplicated). We can do a word origin thing. Nah. Maybe, we do flowers anyway.

When I woke up this morning, I looked at my prompt collection (if I don’t write them down when I think of them, they’re gone), and found one I had thought of recently and which I think will be fun to think on before you write.

I went to a British elementary school and a lot of the songs we learned, for music class, were tied there. One of my favourites was Loch Lomond. We learned the refrain and possibly the first verse. I thought it lovely and romantic.

By yon bonnie banks and by yon bonnie braes,
Where the sun shines bright on Loch Lomond
Where me and my true love were ever wont to gae,
On the bonnie, bonnie banks of Loch Lomond.

Oh! Ye’ll take the high road, and I’ll take the low road,
And I’ll be in Scotland afore ye,
But me and my true love will never meet again,
On the bonnie, bonnie banks of Loch Lomond.

Imagine my horror when, only a couple of years ago, I listened to the entire song, which included verses like this:

O well may I weep for yestere’en in my sleep
We stood bride and bridegroom together,
But his arms and his breath were as cold as the death
And his heart’s blood ran red in the heather.

Think of something you only knew a small part, or one side, of that when you learned the whole, changed your perspective dramatically. Consider how you want to present it. You have the original knowledge and feelings; then the knowledge undergoes a transformation; the feelings may or may not change.  What’s the most important aspect of the change in knowledge? You might find it works better to tell this in the third person and you may wish to consider a tighter structure than free verse.

I shall see you tomorrow for the week’s roundup;and Tuesday for a prompt hitherto unknown. I will be travelling next Thursday and then we have Christmas week. I’ll be back with you on the 30th for an image prompt.

Happy writing, all.

Posted by on 09/12/2014 in exercises, poetry

Tags: , , ,

11 responses to “Poem Tryouts: It’s Still About the Perspective

1. b_young

09/12/2014 at 11:09 am

Happy Birthday! They say old people need less sleep.

09/12/2014 at 11:17 am

What do they know. They are probably thirty year olds.

Thank you!

09/12/2014 at 11:36 am

Okey Dokey – Happy Birthday first!

I can’t help it when your prompts just meld so well with the piece I’ve already written for other prompts… really I can’t.

It is all about perspective…

3. http://vivinfrance.wordpress.com

09/12/2014 at 1:35 pm

Like Jules, a previous prompt of yours inspired this poem http://vivinfrance.wordpress.com/2014/11/18/perspective-2/
    and the change of perspective in it covers today’s prompt.
    I’ll have a try at writnig something else, but no promises.

09/12/2014 at 2:18 pm

That’s okay, ViV. Just keep showing up. I rather like smiling at your smile.

09/12/2014 at 5:08 pm

You’ve already seen mine, but if anyone else wishes to stop by for a read and maybe hit the follow button … I’d be very pleased!

09/12/2014 at 5:58 pm

Birthday!! Happy day of remembering and celebrating your arrival, Margo! ♥

Thank you for the challenge…it’s intriguing and I went with the first direction that tugged at my poetic heart.