Poetics Serendipity: Love a Little Link

04 Dec

listening to live streaming of NASA’s Orion rocket launch

Hello, everyone. I may be a bit distracted. While down at my Florida brother’s he told us that they could sit outside their house and watch rocket launches [I am so jealous]. He also told us we could watch because one of their news groups always runs live streaming. I’m sitting here listening to the incredible patience of the NASA people as they try to get the rocket Orion off the ground. We have reached just outside three minutes twice and they are hoping to start a third count before they run out of launch time. It is exciting to listen to the process.

However, we are here for links. Having spent November in fiction, I have a backup of links, but will endeavour not to overwhelm you.

1] The first link is to a short essay titled ‘Ruthlessness’ by Douglas Goetsch, who is guest posting on Adele Kenny’s site. I was attracted to the essay by its title, as ruthlessness was a mantra of mine when I taught. On almost every essay or creative piece handed me for editing and remarks, I would write: Cut 10%. Be ruthless, ruthless. With my own writing, I keep the word to the forefront when I revise. Goetsch says, while bad poems are harmless, in that they would never deceive us, “good” poems are inherently limited and dangerous, in that they were made to please our egos, and are very difficult to come away from. Go read what else he has to say.

2] I found myself quoted everywhere this week ^–^. Poet Robert Peake has been analysing word frequency in a couple of different places and brings us his results along with a brief commentary. He came to the conclusion: For this reason, to me, there are no bad words, only words used badly. That was a phrase my students heard often, especially when talking about using swear words in creative writing pieces. This is just one of those interesting things to read, but I also thought some of you might like to use the words as a Wordle poem, or a remixed poem, or poems [i.e. only the words on the list].

Peake ended up writing three pieces: No Such Thing as Bad Words, Top “Poetry Words,” and Unconscious Preoccupations, Machine Revelations. That’s the order in which they should be read.

3] The final link is to a fun little exercise, a short video that explains the connection between math and Van Gogh’s The Starry Night. You only need five minutes. Link to poetry? Um. Just go watch it. It expands your neurons.

I’m going to sign off, quickly, before I put a fourth link in. Mustn’t overwhelm. Mustn’t. I shall see you tomorrow for the roundup of this week’s prompt sites; Tuesday for a prompt to do with flowers; and next Thursday for more links.

Happy writing, all.

I know you’ll want to know: NASA is changing the way they are monitoring the winds, to manual (!), in the hopes they can get Orion off. I’m thinking this means someone steps outside(?). They have one more chance. Fourteen and a half minutes to launch. They hope.

Posted by on 04/12/2014 in links, poetry, writing

Tags: , , , , ,

9 responses to “Poetics Serendipity: Love a Little Link

1. MarinaSofia

04/12/2014 at 9:50 am

Goodness me, what fascinating articles you’ve dug up – I can foresee my whole afternoon will be spent reading them now…

04/12/2014 at 9:54 am

Thank you! I read far more [and far more diversely] now that I look actively for links, and I love it.

04/12/2014 at 11:41 am

Wow…the short-y on Van Gogh…wow. I love the thoughts in the closing lines, that at the height of his suffering – that is when his revelation came about fluid, light and nature. Intriguing.

Excellent…thank you for the links, Margo…happy Serendipity to you. 🙂

04/12/2014 at 12:13 pm

Why can’t I like comments on my blog… grumble… !? It’s great isn’t it, Hannah. He has been my favourite artist since my childhood and I hated thinking of him so unhappy. This little video makes me feel better.

• Hannah Gosselin

04/12/2014 at 12:22 pm

Hmm…that’s strange….I’ve noticed glitches in the matrix @ here, too…humpfh. So cool! I can see why he is a favorite and to think of your kind little heart aching for him…that’s so sweet and compassionate. I love to think that his experience was meant to be to bring forth the full realization of the deep connectedness and mathematics (!) in his work. 🙂

04/12/2014 at 12:33 pm

So there is a like button that a site’s ‘owner’ can see? All of you can see your like button? In which case, where the heck is it!?
          I absolutely agree with your last sentence. I think he would have been totally aware of it, too.

• Hannah Gosselin

04/12/2014 at 12:37 pm

Yeah…that like button thing-y is new…I can only see mine when I’m answering comments from the upper right hand message drop-down tool and then it shows a the reply and like options there.

I’d like to see a list of the most amazing artists that had to taste a little of the crazy in order to reach new heights…I bet that would be interesting. 🙂

04/12/2014 at 12:47 pm

Well, looky there. I hadn’t brought that thing down in ages… all sorts of stuff. No like button, but all sorts of stuff. I know what I’ll do. Last time I was stuck I tried WP’s new chat and got help right away. I’ll ask it.

I’ll bet a lot of them :-D, particularly once we entered the Impressionistic stage! That would make a fun article to research and write… you know, in all our spare time 😀

• Hannah Gosselin

04/12/2014 at 12:53 pm

That drop-down is a new favorite for me…I never used to use it but it saves that ‘time’ of which you speak! 😉 That really would make a great article…I’ll let you know if that ever happens. 🙂 I hope the WP chat has answers for you!