Poem Tryouts: What Do You See?

28 Oct

listening to Neil Diamond singing Love Potion No. 9 — great fun

Hello, everyone. I hope all is running smoothly in your lives. Today’s images will provide an escape if you need one, wonderment, laughter, thought and possible bewilderment [don’t worry, I’ll take care of you]. The artist is Eugenia Loli and I was introduced to her work recently, by my niece.

The Droplet that Return to the Ocean

Loli calls herself a modern vintage collage artist. Of her work, she says: It’s important for me to “say” something with my artwork… I usually do this via presenting a “narrative” scene in my collages, like there’s something bigger going on than what’s merely depicted. Sometimes the scene is witty or sarcastic, some times it’s horrific with a sense of danger or urgency, some times it’s chill. I leave it to the viewer’s imagination to fill-in the blanks of the story plot.

And, that’s where we come in: filling in the blanks. Pick one, or if you see a couple working together (Farscapes and All Fun & Games) more. You can look at the images as straightforward and tell the story you see. Or, look at an image and let it spark a poem about an implication you see.

A useful approach, when you have your image, is to jot down every single thing you see as you look at it. Everything. You are not worrying about sense: as you jot, your brain will start making connections and suggestions. When you have everything you see, down on paper, go back over your notes and the brain shifts into the next step, asking questions and filling out what you see.

Who’s disappearing? The man, or the dolphin? Does the dolphin represent something larger? Why does David have fish swimming around his head? For that matter, why are we getting a profile rather than David’s full face? What does the fracturing mirror imply in the picture with the woman combing her hair? What does it say about reflections, mirror images, our viewGive David a Fish of ourselves? Why is the fighter plane black and white while the candy it’s dropping is in colour? What does the image say?

For the last two you’ll need to go to the site, where you will see a few of Loli’s pieces. Clicking on any of them takes you to a series. David is the first in his series but when you click on the man and dolphin, you’ll need to scroll down.

I hear a wail. It’s okay. You do not have to get these collages. Remember, with any image sparked poem, you do not have to address the image. I have several ekphrastic poems, but you wouldn’t know it except when I acknowledge the artist and image. Those who are looking with bewilderment at this collection, look differently. You are looking for a spark of recognition. You have seen David in the flesh, so to speak? Let us have that memory. How the marble is so perfectly chiselled that you see a pulse beat in his throat. Have you ever felt torn in several directions at once? That takes care of the fractured woman combing her hair. You have been wanting to address the problem of dolphins and fishing nets? Go for it.

It’s all about how you see and we all see differently. Have fun with these.

I shall see you Thursday for links; Friday for the prompts roundup [and a new entry]; and next Tuesday for my prompt.

Happy writing, all.

Posted by on 28/10/2014 in exercises, poetry

Tags: , , , , ,

25 responses to “Poem Tryouts: What Do You See?

1. georgeplace2013

28/10/2014 at 9:40 am

I just wrote (to no prompt amazingly) a poem entitled collage. We must have been on the same wavelength! Can’t wait to try your prompt.

28/10/2014 at 9:50 am

I love when that happens, Debi. I didn’t think of the genre itself as a possibility. That would be interesting.

28/10/2014 at 10:45 am

I find these images very troubling, and if I have nightmares, you’re gonna hear about it. (snort) http://miskmask.wordpress.com/2014/10/28/it-all-comes-out-in-the-wash/

28/10/2014 at 2:10 pm

I found a lot of them troubling. I had to squint, so I couldn’t see what was really there. That’s why I like her front page where the remixes are just normally odd.

• Misky

28/10/2014 at 3:22 pm

Gawd Im glad to hear that!

3. b_young

28/10/2014 at 3:13 pm

I loved the Fabulous Gentlemen, liked the Oh, L’amour series, but then I found a nice, normal pen, ink, and watercolor and it said: I know you.

28/10/2014 at 3:50 pm

At that point, what can you do!?

4. Poet Stacy Lynn Mar

28/10/2014 at 5:14 pm

wow, some of the artwork is amazing. i’m trying to pick just one and write about it. i’ll be back later tonight to link up. šŸ™‚

28/10/2014 at 5:54 pm

Stacy, I figured that might be a problem. So write more than one :-)! Also, my time for getting a poem in is limitless. If no one else sees it, I will.

28/10/2014 at 6:39 pm

Interesting Darlink very interesting.
    I like the one with Jimmy Durante.

29/10/2014 at 8:10 am

I agree, Jules. Pretty hard to resist.

6. Poet Stacy Lynn Mar

28/10/2014 at 7:57 pm

thanks so much for introducing us to the artist, i’d never heard of her until today. i think i may even try to do my own ‘vintage’ collage. heh.

for now, here is my poem:

hope you enjoy. i might do another later this week. if i do, i’ll link up again!

29/10/2014 at 8:12 am

I thanked my niece, who found her, and gave her the link to this post. I’m hoping she will get a kick out of the responses. I find the artist inspirational on many levels.

28/10/2014 at 8:42 pm

Oh, my Goodness, Margo! You described the possible reactions to these so perfectly…I have to say…being inspired is not a problem but picking is…sigh…there are a lot of good ones and I hope they give me wacky dreams! šŸ™‚

I’ll be right back or I’ll see you tomorrow…soon. Thank you for the inspiring prompts, Margo!

8. purplepeninportland

30/10/2014 at 7:33 pm

I went into the site under, Worshipped Women. Absolutely incredible images.
    Mine is up at: http://purplepeninportland.wordpress.com/2014/10/30/from-worshipped-women-dirty/

31/10/2014 at 7:14 am

She is quite something and her output is tremendous! I am so glad we have her to look at, now.