Poetry Freeforall: Grab Bag

03 Oct

7:45 a.m. –Atlanta

listening to Growing Up sung by Run River North

Hello, all. It’s October. Ahem NaNoWriMo-ers: time to start warming up. One way is to do all the narrative prompts as an exercise. The rest of us? Play, of course!

Mindlovemisery has a number of narrative prompts, that are fun into the bargain. They range from fairy tales to scary tales and will stretch your tonal muscles and give you some practice in structuring a story. Strictly poetry people, I spotted two image prompts, a wordle, and a couple of short form prompts. Such largesse! Head on over.

sepia sat 2Sepia Saturday gives us a Rockwell painting for this week’s spark  Marilyn also says, I’ll just mention that there is a Facebook group for Sepia Saturday contributors. Why not join us as we have a lot of fun and post some interesting items there. You will need to have posted on Sepia Saturday at least once; then we’ll welcome you with open arms. Get writing and posting, people. sunday whirl

The Sunday Whirl is beloved by many. Brenda has a gift for choosing words for her weekly Wordle. This week, she tells us, Fellow poet Pamela Kaler Sayers engaged in a word association with me to come up with this week’s words. If you join The Sunday Whirl‘s Facebook page, you can get the week’s list a couple of days early. Check it out.

adele kennyAt The Music In It: Adele Kenny’s Poetry Blog, Adele has a guest prompter, Peter Murphy (whose writing getaway I am determined to get to this year). Peter is talking postcard poems and apologies. Visit.

Anyone can write a limerick, but a good limerick is an entirely other matter. I learned that at Mad Kane’s Humor BlogMadeleine gives us a limerick she has written and our challenge is to use the same first line. She always gives a little wiggle room. Go over and check it out, to read and laugh, and maybe write.magpie

Magpie Tales has a lovely paintingAutumn in Madeira by Jacek Yerka. Look at this one a while. It’s a charming piece and the more I look at it, the more I see. Head over.Poetry Jam

At Poetry Jam, Sumana gives us a little magic to play with. See what she says on the topic and think of all the ways magic has been part of your life. FPR-200

The Found Poetry Review has a fun prompt. Okay, yes, I think they’re all fun, but this made me want to stop writing and try it right now. The title is dissonance but maybe not in the way you think of the word. Head over to see what it’s all about.

Poets & Writers gives us three prompts every week. One for non-fiction, one for fiction, and one for poetry. My contention is that all the prompts work for poetry. They also, all work for prose. This week’s topics are autumn almanac, waterfall and the flip side.IGWRTButtonrsz

Imaginary garden with real toads has a couple of prompts that I couldn’t choose between, so you get the general address and you can make the decision [or do both]. One prompt is an offering from Hannah, which means a spectacular piece of nature; the second is from Mama Zen and has to do with personification, a difficult technique to do well. Go play with the toads.

Red Wolf Poems gives us prompts rich in detail and depth. Barbara talks about technology from a couple of different perspectives and then gives us an exercise that uses technology as a detail, not the poem’s core topic. Interesting. Head on over to read the whole prompt.

Poets United Midweek Motif presents us with a motif each week. Susan accompanies the motif with quotes, photographs, and the occasional video, to spark ideas. This week’s motif is children’s books. Visit to read what Susan says.

dverse-nightime-finalHey! Oulipoemers, here’s one for us! Those who have not written an oulipo poem, try it. dVerse focuses on N+7, but also say that we can pick our own form of constraint. They’re friendly folks at the Bar, so stick around for some conversation.

Go to it, poets et al. I shall see you Tuesday for a word prompt; Thursday for links; and Friday for the next roundup of prompt sites.

Happy writing, everyone.

Posted by on 03/10/2014 in exercises, links, poetry, writing

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

15 responses to “Poetry Freeforall: Grab Bag

03/10/2014 at 9:44 am

Thank you, Margo, always for the inspiring assortment!!

It’s a really interesting place to visit today…it’s the biggest known cave in the world with a fast flowing river within it!

03/10/2014 at 10:25 am

Tell you what, Hannah, I love following along with your discoveries. I am, at heart, a researcher. I live vicariously through you! You must have such fun finding places.

• Hannah Gosselin

03/10/2014 at 11:24 am

I can tell that about you, Margo…your love for what is “out” there! I do have such fun…I often fall into the vortex when I look into these places…right now I’m working from a list of the 22 most amazing places…there’re nine places left to see! 🙂

2. b_young

03/10/2014 at 9:53 am

I don’t know…but when I say “Interesting” like that. You know that joke about the woman whose son taught her to say “Fantastic”?

• b_young

03/10/2014 at 9:53 am

Instead of Bullshit.

• b_young

03/10/2014 at 9:54 am

(feel easy erasing that)

03/10/2014 at 10:23 am

Really? Erase? How long have you known me?

I sat and considered for a moment the connotations of ‘interesting’ and then decided I wanted the word for its denotation. Fans will go look anyway and non-believers will wonder and wander over.

• b_young

03/10/2014 at 10:31 am

I couldn’t help myself. It’s one of those really bad jokes that have stuck with me, that almost no one else finds funny. Like old Mad Magazine cartoon captions. (Kleenex Junior package to a peaked handkerchief: “Over and over? How disgusting!”)

03/10/2014 at 10:35 am

You just feel free. Anytime. We’re generally tickled by the same thing.

• julespaige

03/10/2014 at 11:16 am

‘A snort on snot?
              My sis and I always burst into laughter at the margarine comercial:

“If you think it’s butter… but itsssnot” Just not enough of a pause between the two words.

3. georgeplace2013

03/10/2014 at 11:10 am

I love the idea on Found Poetry Review

03/10/2014 at 11:14 am

I did a few of these. But I’m going to direct you to a piece that is not my normal forte:
    Flash Fiction:

poems can be found at my long verse place. You might like the one for Mindlove’s place called;
    ‘Dirty Thirties’.