Poem Tryouts: Come With Me

30 Sep

listening to Mr. Bojangles sung by Robbie Williams

Hello all. I am wearing my woolie socks and two layers of shirts. That makes Fall official with me. I would bundle even more were I to walk into today’s photograph. I’ll talk about it after you peruse it for a bit.

barbaracrarybeach

Beautiful, isn’t it? This was not my planned pick, but when it crossed my Facebook wall Saturday (at the exact time I was looking at paintings), I immediately asked its taker whether I could use it. The photograph is taken by Barbara Crary, whom you have seen occasionally wandering through here.

What grabbed me as far as using it as a prompt? I like the feeling that I am standing just inside the frame. I feel more there than I do in any photograph I can think of. I even had a reaction to temperature. For me, it is cold and windy. That was the first thought in my mind, How lovely. Just the way I like a beach, cold and breezy. I wonder what’s over those rocks.

Your possibilities are a straight response to the scene, as if you were there, in that spot, complete with convincing details, like weather.

Or, you can write about what’s over those rocks.

Or, you can focus on one small aspect of the whole, the rocks and a time you rock climbed; the flowers and something you associate with them; the ocean and your relationship with it.

Study the photograph for a while, jotting notes, especially sensory details, before you decide what and how.

I can’t wait to see the poems, as I am so in love with the scene [no, no, you don’t have to be in love with the scene — you might have a phobia about coasts, in which case turn the scene into a negative]. I will see you again on Thursday for links; Friday for this week’s roundup of prompts; and next Tuesday for a word meaning prompt.

Happy writing, everyone.

Posted by on 30/09/2014 in exercises, poetry

Tags: , , ,

27 responses to “Poem Tryouts: Come With Me

1. rosross

30/09/2014 at 9:46 am

It’s a bit of doggerel but I was fun.

30/09/2014 at 9:53 am

Doggerel’s allowed, especially if it was fun.

2. http://vivinfrance.wordpress.com

30/09/2014 at 10:02 am

I am writing in dazzling sunshine, wearing my thinnest blouse and trousers (sorry Margo). Contrary as I am, I wrote this: http://vivinfrance.wordpress.com/2014/09/30/illusion/

3. Carol Carlisle

30/09/2014 at 12:11 pm

I see the foot prints of those who have gone before.
    Those who I will soon follow but not today.
    A day I plan to stay on solid ground.
    Happy Tuesday.

30/09/2014 at 12:41 pm

5. Carol Carlisle

30/09/2014 at 1:21 pm

I had my own photo that needed a poem but I think you will see (sea) the similarity http://piecesofstarlight.wordpress.com/2014/09/30/tuesday-poetry-and-photography-lets-go-down-to-the-sea-again/

30/09/2014 at 7:13 pm

Lovely escape! Thank you for the post, Margo and Barbara for the image! :)’s

30/09/2014 at 7:42 pm

Ma’am your post did not prompt my response… (Thank Miz Q) but I think it fits none the less.
    I picture my ‘gal’ watching her ‘beau’ sail off…

Those who’ve been so kind to visit via Q – thanks.

01/10/2014 at 9:03 am

Jules, my post never prompts your response [okay one in a hundred]! I like that you show up anyway. i wouldn’t have it different. Better Jules off prompt than no Jules ;-

• julespaige

01/10/2014 at 9:31 am

Awe… gee. I do use some of your prompts.
        I’m trying that thing called ‘time management’ and attempting to ‘multi-task’.

And I’ve noticed I’m not the only one…
        I shall go an amend the post and pop in your site –
        As soon as Little Miss naps again.

Join the discussion… I don’t see any caveat saying only if you use the posted prompt.

Some Tuesday Tryouts are just to complex for the few marbles I have in my pate. I do like the photo. Might just do another one… Been a tad busy with Miz Q.
        But now October starts fresh and maybe I can breath a tad easier.

8. barbcrary

01/10/2014 at 7:53 am

I’m so pleased that this image spoke to you, Margo, and that you shared it here. I will try to write about it soon. Up to my ears in MOOCs at the moment. I’m that crazy old lady glued to my computer and getting the feeling that I desperately need to re-prioritize.

01/10/2014 at 9:10 am

It’s a beautiful picture, Barb.

Other Barbara is just as crazy. She is signed up for three courses. I’m doing just the Pinsky.

9. DonettaS

02/10/2014 at 4:52 am

Lovely photo. Makes me feel a bit chilly. Here is the poem I wrote.
    Thank you for such a gorgeous prompt.

02/10/2014 at 7:37 am

Exactly my reaction, Donetta.

So good to see you here.

10. purplepeninportland

03/10/2014 at 11:10 pm

When you see a photo this stunning, you want your words to do it justice. I hope I did.
    Mine is up at: http://purplepeninportland.wordpress.com/2014/10/04/waters-of-time/