Poem Tryouts: The Unexpected

09 Sep

listening to Run River North‘s new album — I don’t buy albums. That being said, when I first heard Mumford & Sons, I bought their first album and when this group’s first album debuted recently, I bought it based on listening to their song Fight to Keep, which I heard on the Weather Channel

Hi everyone. How are you? Well, I hope. Kids/grandkids back in school, check. Temperatures considering dropping, check. Time on your hands, check. Let’s take a walk.

Really. A walk. If you can walk out your door and do so, go ahead. Maybe, you need to drive a little ways and park. That’s fine. You can’t leave the house? Pick a route to walk through the place as if you were out on a walk. Whichever you choose, pretend you have never walked that route before. If you make a conscious decision to look with new eyes, your brain will listen.

Now, this takes some mental coordination. While looking with new eyes at the things along your route, be open in particular to the unexpected, the ‘Oh! I never noticed that’ or ‘Oh! How unusual’. Keep yourself open at work for moments.

Or — you knew I’d give you an ‘or’ — take a walk through your brain looking for those moments in your life that occasioned that ‘Oh!’ in response to seeing something unexpected.

What about it? Try to capture the feeling you had at the moment of awareness. When I have these moments I feel as if I were still a child seeing things for the first time. The experience of seeing new things, of adding my awareness of them to my life allows me to regard the world with wonder, despite, in spite of, beyond the uglinesses.

You’d like an example moment? One of the strongest, in that the image never goes far down in my memory banks, is a time a dog (not a husky) turned its head to look at me and its eyes were a bright light blue. Just a momentary thing, seemingly slight, but it reminds me that nothing is ever what I expect, or assume,ย  and that I must be open to that.

Write, post, and I will see you Thursday for some links; Friday for a close up of prompt sites; and next Tuesday for our next prompt.

Happy writing, everyone.

Posted by on 09/09/2014 in exercises, poems, poetry

Tags: , ,

32 responses to “Poem Tryouts: The Unexpected

1. b_young

09/09/2014 at 9:12 am

Morning, Margo.
    Was thinking about a scone or bagel for breakfast. Maybe park a block away & see what intervenes. Maybe I’ll just walk the topography of my bread.

2. Teri

09/09/2014 at 9:49 am

๐Ÿ™‚ walks are nice. We will see what we find. Hope you are well. Teri

09/09/2014 at 9:55 am

My dear! I am well and think of you often [not, you will have noticed, that that made me write to see if you were alive]. Whether or not the walk produces something, I am glad to see you, Teri.

3. http://vivinfrance.wordpress.com

09/09/2014 at 9:52 am

Just a little one, which happened a couple of hours ago: http://vivinfrance.wordpress.com/2014/09/09/a-walk-on-the-tame-side/

09/09/2014 at 9:54 am

Well, hello! I’m so glad it happened, ViV.

• b_young

09/09/2014 at 2:24 pm

That’s a smile, for sure

09/09/2014 at 11:56 am

5. Carol Carlisle

09/09/2014 at 12:57 pm

The sun just now coming out (10am PST) not too unexpected. So I used Saturday’s walk that needed a poem. http://piecesofstarlight.wordpress.com/2014/09/09/goat-poem/

11/09/2014 at 8:24 am

I’m going to like anything called a goat poem, Carol.

6. b_young

09/09/2014 at 2:05 pm

There were shops that weren’t there last time, which was unexpected, but that wasn’t what startled me.

09/09/2014 at 2:06 pm

A poem just added to my photo. ๐Ÿ˜‰

8. barbcrary

09/09/2014 at 3:38 pm

Finally responding to a Tuesday prompt on a Tuesday. Wonder of wonders.

10/09/2014 at 10:11 pm

Hello there!! Paired this with a little form and how timely this prompt…always a little bit of serendipity to warm my day when I see you. Thank you, Margo!

11/09/2014 at 8:35 am

Why, hello! Serendipity happily handed out.

10. purplepeninportland

10/09/2014 at 11:35 pm

This was a timely prompt for me, as well. Coincidence?
    Mine is up at: http://purplepeninportland.wordpress.com/2014/09/11/the-lost-man/

11/09/2014 at 8:36 am

Coincidence? I had two immediate responses: ‘I think not’ and ‘there are no coincidences’ and couldn’t decide which would amuse you more. You get both.

13/09/2014 at 3:06 pm

I wasn’t sure what to do here… but today’s ‘Imprompt’ fits like a kid glove…