Poem Tryouts: Image Potluck

26 Aug

8:31 a.m.

listening to Three Dog Night singing Pieces of April

chariot VBGbQBU

Hello, all. I see we in the U.S. seem to be under a heatwave. I can hardly complain, given the mild summer up ’til now. However, it can feel free to go away. Today we have our monthly image prompt — I hear the cheers. I know you love the images. An image can be freeing or constraining, depending on how you approach it.

Now, I had promised a pot luck day, today, so you may happily browse the Net for a painting, or a photograph that yells ‘Helloooo!” as you go by. Or, you can look at the photograph I will post for those with no Net time this week and see what it sparks.

Things to remember when using an image as inspiration: The poem does not have to bear any apparent relationship whatsoever to the image that inspires it. In fact, people don’t even have to know your inspiration is an image. Having said that, it’s fun to see from where people are drawing their poems, so consider posting your image.

You don’t have to write about the whole thing. One aspect of the whole might fascinate you. Write about it.

When you study your image, start at the bottom left corner and move to the upper right. It’s the way our brain assimilates images.

If you give the piece a close study, I have found that listing everything I see helps me be consciously aware of all the image is composed of, to include placement and light.

The photograph I am posting comes from my California brother, just yesterday. I felt an immediate emotional connection, which is one reason it’s going up. The subject is a Thracian chariot that has been dug up in Bulgaria. I find it fascinating. Click on it to receive a full-screen image.

I shall see you Thursday for links and Tuesday for our first September prompt [September!].

Happy writing, all.

• 2500-Year-Old Horse Remains in Bulgaria Suggest Creatures Were Buried Upright*

Posted by on 26/08/2014 in exercises, poems, poetry

Tags: , ,

31 responses to “Poem Tryouts: Image Potluck

1. http://vivinfrance.wordpress.com

26/08/2014 at 10:10 am

Thanks, Margo. I’ll have a go. My brain processes images from top right to bottom left, and that’s how I paint. On a course I went on the artist/teacher complained that I painted like opening a sardine tin!

26/08/2014 at 10:18 am

Of course it does. ViV, you are unique, but then I knew that. Annette was the one who first wrote about the processing thing. When I tried both ways, I noted that right to left, I take in big picture, left to right, my brain does details.

I love the description of your technique.

26/08/2014 at 10:43 am

Recently watched a show on the H2 channel/program about how advance our ancients really were – combining metals to make a sword stronger, putting glue between linen to make more or less the first Kevlar protection and actually making beautiful hollow gold needles that were used for cataract surgery.

Have to come back after kiddies have departed – they are both here for a loooong day.
    It’s only 10:30 am and Grama needs a nap!

26/08/2014 at 11:25 am

And, let us not get started on the architecture!

• julespaige

26/08/2014 at 11:28 am

πŸ™‚

3. Pingback: Fitness for Purpose I and II | Vivinfrance's Blog
  4. http://vivinfrance.wordpress.com

26/08/2014 at 11:16 am

Here you are: https://vivinfrance.wordpress.com/2014/08/26/fitness-for-purpose-i-and-ii/
    Two for the price of one.

5. Pingback: Left Behind | georgeplacepoetry by Debi Swim
  6. georgeplace2013

26/08/2014 at 2:24 pm

Read the related article – that they walked the horses into the hole then killed them and buried them upright…!!! ugh

26/08/2014 at 5:06 pm

My thought was at least they killed them first. It’s fascinating beyond the killing of the horses. I’m ready to go back into my Thracian history.

7. pmwanken

26/08/2014 at 10:00 pm

I do love image prompts! I’ve done 72 of the 100 for my “100 Days” project. Not having read the article (or even scrolling down to see more of what you wrote) the first thought was something of biblical proportions – a “buried alive” kind of catastrophe (or miracle, if it was a chariot in the Red Sea). But…horses walked into a hole to be killed? Hmm.

I’ll see if I make it back ’round to write to this or if I’ll look for the next month’s rotation of image prompting.

xox

• pmwanken

27/08/2014 at 9:26 am

And…in case you’re wanting to see the fascinating photo I used yesterday…check it out here:

28/08/2014 at 11:23 am

I was waiting and it’s an interesting photo. I like what you wrote to it.

• pmwanken

28/08/2014 at 11:31 am

Thanks.πŸ™‚

28/08/2014 at 11:25 am

Oh those crazy Thracians… and Egyptians, and Chinese. I tell you power was not good if you had it and died. Lots of other people and things tended to go with you!

8. rosross

27/08/2014 at 1:40 am

It is a wonderful image. I wanted to be an archaeologist as a child – destiny sent me on different paths but I like to think I have learned some archaeology of psyche instead.

28/08/2014 at 11:26 am

Hey, me to, Ros! I still have the child’s archaeology book that I kept near my bed.

9. Pingback: Reduced | P5 – poems, prose, painting, pondering, people.
  10. b_young

27/08/2014 at 7:29 am

Well, of course you’d have them walk in. Horses are heavy. You’re going to kill them in place. (Not buried alive: they’d have destroyed the chariot trying to escape. The tomb was staged for a good journey)

11. Pingback: From Whence They Come | Metaphors and Smiles

27/08/2014 at 11:47 am

Fascinating indeed, Margo!! I’ll be back to read you ya’ll but right now the beach calls…five days left of summer vacation for the big second-grader!

Thank you, Margo for the inspiration!πŸ™‚

13. Pingback: A Life Rehearsed | The Chalk Hills Journal

27/08/2014 at 4:01 pm

Greetings.

28/08/2014 at 11:41 am

‘ullo

15. markwindham

27/08/2014 at 6:06 pm

more from the realm of serendipity… I took the picture used for this one Monday while walking the dog. Had most of the poem written in my head by the time I got to my desk. Then today I get around to reading your prompt.πŸ™‚ And, as an added bonus, Margo likes repetition.

Might still be back for your pic though…

28/08/2014 at 11:20 am

Margo does like repetition. I’m on my way.

You know you are welcome back as often as you can make itπŸ˜‰

16. purplepeninportland

27/08/2014 at 11:49 pm

Love image prompts!
    Mine is up at: http://purplepeninportland.wordpress.com/2014/08/28/hello/

17. Pingback: Quickly; call: Potluck It Is (plus) | julesgemstonepages

28/08/2014 at 6:42 am

For all but especially for Margo, because she asked for it:

So copacetic, man. (*giggle*)

19. barbcrary

01/09/2014 at 4:32 pm

This one almost got away from me. I kept having big, deep thoughts about my image, which often spells trouble for me as I busy myself with overthinking rather than writing. Better late than never!

02/09/2014 at 7:41 am

Oh, those big, deep thoughts! Glad you subscribe to the better late than never school of thought. I have the blog set for people who might be up to two months late, but so far no oneπŸ˜€.