Poem Tryouts: Comic Relief

19 Aug

listening to I Will Wait by Mumford & Sons

Hello, all. I hope you are ready for some time with the comic strips, but it’s not their content we are looking at, although you may read as many as makes you happy. We are looking at how their authors structure them. Comic strips are structured like poems. Each window is a stanza; they have a beginning a middle and an end; somewhere between the beginning and the end there is a turn towards the end.Β  More important, is that the good ones convey some truth about the world, or people, or life, in a very few words and images.

What about epic poems, you ask. Graphic novels.

What I want us to try, is to find a comic we want to use as a starting point, a kick off. You do not need to pay any attention to the content except as a general idea, but you may have a specific thought sparked by what you read. Then, structure your poem much like the comic. If there are other things you notice, repetition, sensory details, tone, anything, incorporate those.

Compose your poem. If you use something from a physical newspaper, tell us the strip’s name and a little about the one you chose; if you find your source on the computer, give us a link to the comic so we can see what started your poem.

You say you are caught by a one window cartoon. That’s fine. You will deal with a stanza-less poem. Look to see how the author structures the message and use those techniques.

For those reading this and asking where on earth they can find a comic strip, I am giving you the site my sister-in-law uses.

I shall probably, possibly, see you Thursday for a couple of links and Tuesday for an image prompt. I know the calendar says pot luck. We’ll make the image the pot luck part.

Happy writing, everyone.

Posted by on 19/08/2014 in exercises, poetry

Tags: , , ,

23 responses to “Poem Tryouts: Comic Relief

19/08/2014 at 10:31 am

Hello. http://miskmask.wordpress.com/2014/08/19/a-morning-chorus/ From Garfield. Garfield needs no introduction.

19/08/2014 at 10:32 am

Hi.

• Misky

19/08/2014 at 10:34 am

Greetings.

19/08/2014 at 10:48 am

it was tempting until I realised — while skimming possible replies — that we could keep this up for quite a while πŸ˜‰ oh, so tempting

2. b_young

19/08/2014 at 1:21 pm

Hey, Misky. Hi, Margo. Pogo: meet Margo. Pogo, this is Misky. This is Pogo, y’all.

I’m still working out how to do a lyric poem in this format, but I do have something.

• barbcrary

21/08/2014 at 9:04 am

Wow, and I now see here that I know you from the Iowa writers course, Barbara. I am another “Barbara” the one with the red amaryllis rather than my face in my comments. I plan to start sharing some things here now that I’m through with the frenzy of Iowa and a week of babysitting preschool grandchildren.

• b_young

21/08/2014 at 5:08 pm

Grin, wave.
        I’ve signed up for the edX Pinsky course that starts ” in September” . You?

• barbcrary

21/08/2014 at 9:19 pm

Yep. I just checked and now it says, September 30 – I will be away and probably with very limited internet access for ten days or so – but I hope to participate as much as possible. Also signed up for ModPo, which starts on September 6, but will try to limit my participation there to the newest material.

3. Carol Carlisle

19/08/2014 at 2:43 pm

I looked at the today’s Funny papers for form and came up with two not too funny poems. One of Robin Williams. We in the bay area feel he was our own.

4. georgeplace2013

19/08/2014 at 7:53 pm

Have no idea what I am suppose to do so I just did something.

19/08/2014 at 9:17 pm

Hello!! My comment just fot eaten alive! Blah. Any way…I was saying that nine days away from bloggy world seems like eternity, (and other stuff…?…).

Thank you for the prompt, Margo!!

26/08/2014 at 8:03 am

Your blog is letting you know what it thinks of you, rather like a cat does ;-D

• Hannah Gosselin

27/08/2014 at 9:34 pm

Yes, I agree – go figure I’m allergic to cats! πŸ˜‰ I still love them though.

6. b_young

20/08/2014 at 7:19 am

26/08/2014 at 8:15 am

Yep. Comes across better. I like the full page look of it. That’s what I like about mine. I think yours gives you even more space.

20/08/2014 at 9:59 am

I know I’ve seen comics about sardines… but I went looking through my morning papers for the last two weeks and couldn’t find a specific one. Sardines is a good word and Quickly had it in a prompt …

8. purplepeninportland