Oulipo 18: April 18 — Homoconsonantism

18 Apr

Epithalamium was easier to say. Sharp eyes will have noticed I did not title this an oulipoem. It isn’t, but I have done the exercise. Now someone do it and show me it’s fun.

While she does not say she had fun, one of my co-oulipers just posted while I was writing this and I love the last two lines. Check out Quillfyre’s result.

The prompt:

‘Choose a sentence or short passage from your newspaper to complete a homoconsonantism. In this form, the sequence of consonants in a source text is kept, while all its vowels are replaced. For example:

ORIGINAL: To be or not to be: that is the question.

CONSONANTS ONLY: T b r n t t b t t s t h q s t n

FINAL PRODUCT: As burnt tibia: it heats the aqueous tone.’

The process:

It’s not that hard to do, the basic that is. Making it something useful, never mind good, is a whole ‘nother matter. I chose the San Francisco Chronicle’s online T.V.Guide as my source, as it is the only format I can live with, not having something coherent.

original phrases:

Say! You Go Strong, Tho’
More Kitty Place
Idiom Care — Cyan Woe
As For Tricks

The source:

On-line ‘T.V.Guide’. San Francisco Chronicle. 18 April 2014

I was going to make it look like a T.V.Guide entry and discovered enough of a dislike for this not to. Bring on tomor… oh, wait. Tomorrow’s the sestina. Sounds of flight

Posted by on 18/04/2014 in exercises, oulipost, poems, poetry, writing

Tags: , , , , ,

23 responses to “Oulipo 18: April 18 — Homoconsonantism

1. Quickly

18/04/2014 at 9:56 am

Better you than me, ma’am, Gunga Din.

18/04/2014 at 10:41 am

Or ‘Into the valley of death…’ although I like Gunga Din intoning like Jack Friday [Just the facts, ma’am].

• Quickly

18/04/2014 at 11:32 am

Thought “you’re a better man than me, ma’am” a bit too em-mie ( how WOULD you spell that id it were a word?)

2. whimsygizmo

18/04/2014 at 10:04 am

Gah. I already wrote one sestina this month. Not sure I can face another. Gah. **flying the coop with you**

Question: In their example, they have added consonants, which I thought was weird. Do you know if this is common for the “form”? I prefer the way you’ve done it, consonants in order, no extras…

18/04/2014 at 10:42 am

I suspect the form is fairly strict. Having said that if I thought I had something I’d break the rule. However.

Oh right, you just chicken out. I can’t. Gah, indeed. Especially as this will be my first. Ack.

• whimsygizmo

18/04/2014 at 11:44 am

This last one I wrote, I started sort of backwards, it worked better for me…
        If you write those last three lines FIRST, it determines the order you use your 6 words in (since the first stanza will use them in that same order, and then mixed up all crazy sestina-formula-like, and so on.) For me, it’s hardest to make those last three lines sound reasonable, and not redundant (since all 6 words are in there, and have already been stated like a zillion times by the time you get there.) Also, of course, be sure to choose words that can be nouns OR verbs, and/or can have what I like to call Fun With Enjambment. πŸ˜‰ (My last sestina used “dragon”…which could be changed to: drag on./ drag. On/ draggin’/ etc.

18/04/2014 at 10:24 am

Egads.
    Here have some fun… This was my creation for Imprompt this morning:

4. http://vivinfrance.wordpress.com

18/04/2014 at 10:52 am

Sounds like a fun exercise. Maybe one day…

18/04/2014 at 11:02 am

Mmhmmm, ViV. Actually, the technical aspect is easy. Doing it well… mmmm.

18/04/2014 at 11:59 am

I seem to be bouncing off walls on this new antihistamine. Works a charm though. I’ve also decided to go grey. Or gray, as it’s also known.

18/04/2014 at 12:17 pm

Grin. Glad you’re having fun with it, the anti-histamine. I loved making that decision. Life became much easier. Besides, I knew what it was going to look like thanks to my mother and grandmother.

6. georgeplace2013

18/04/2014 at 1:01 pm

More fun than I thought it would be πŸ™‚ Thanks Misky for the nudge and Margo for the new form.

18/04/2014 at 1:54 pm

Hi, Debi. Good to see you in the midst of the mad month! Fun you say? I’ll be right over πŸ˜‰

7. georgeplace2013

18/04/2014 at 3:01 pm

Well, it is fun when you break all the rules – sigh. LOL

8. whimsygizmo

18/04/2014 at 9:20 pm

I’m here: http://whimsygizmo.wordpress.com/2014/04/18/dive-loss-a-post-pal/
    These remind me so much of the Bad Lip Reading videos. Laughing out loud.

And LOVING “Idiom Care β€” Cyan Woe.” πŸ˜‰

• whimsygizmo

18/04/2014 at 9:21 pm

My favorite Bad Lip Reading. You’ll see what I mean. Mine sounds just like this nonsense.

• Quickly

19/04/2014 at 8:32 am

Jim thinks the transcriptions read like poetry. Remind me not to listen to what he says about mine.

19/04/2014 at 8:47 am

I’ve worried about that Jim of yours.

18/04/2014 at 10:20 pm

Oh good. Something to make me laugh! I love that you gave me a video to watch.