Oulipoem 15: April 15 — Prisoner’s Constraint

15 Apr

Yesterday’s lost poem has been found!

Today’s prompt:

“Imagine a prisoner whose supply of paper is restricted. To put it to fullest use, he will maximize his space by avoiding any letter extending above or below the line (b,d,f,g,h,j,k,l,p,q,t and y) and use only a,c,e,i,m,n,o,r,s,u,v,w,x and z. Compose a poem using only words that can be made from these letters AND which you source from your newspaper text.”

The process:

I love my Wall Street Journal but I may have to resort to online newspapering so I can continue to use the SF Chronicle. The Journal lacks too much of the odd stuff like the comics, horoscopes, classifieds… we’ll see. Today, I picked an article from the ‘Health & Wellness’ section of the WSJ. I copied down all words that fit the rules [I found I had to go back and double-check myself].

My added constraint: I had to use the words in the order I found them, except for the two letter words, which I inserted where they help sense. My satisfaction quotient: middlin’.

The poem:

in
severe
cases

woman
crow

The source:

Wall Street Journal. ‘Health & Wellness’ Quick Cures/Quack Cures: under eye bags. 15 April 2014

Posted by on 15/04/2014 in exercises, oulipost, poems, poetry, writing

Tags: , , , , , , ,

17 responses to “Oulipoem 15: April 15 — Prisoner’s Constraint

15/04/2014 at 9:53 am

I like how you tie (and reverse) the order of beginning and end lines, both with different meanings. Clever. Mine is mixed order, btw. My brain would’ve fried otherwise. 🙂

• Misky

15/04/2014 at 9:54 am

15/04/2014 at 9:57 am

Already been! Now that I’m back on east coast time, I see yours before I write.

• Misky

15/04/2014 at 10:09 am

And I’m very appreciative to know that you’re popping by for quick read every day. It makes me happy. The link is actually for anyone else participating that might want to read it, too. One can always live in hope, right? 😉

15/04/2014 at 10:26 am

But, of course! I finally remembered to remind people yesterday and then forgot today. Someone in the group has put forward the motion that we call May to read each other’s poems. It seems to be a much busier April than last year.

15/04/2014 at 9:55 am

Well, fried brains are not desirable! I usually [always] mix, but the order made a weird sense [and meant I could stop thinking]. Then I read yours and am jealous!

2. quillfyre

15/04/2014 at 11:36 am

What fun this poem, and I love the image crow woman to begin and end. I think you were more successful than middlin’!

15/04/2014 at 11:37 am

Thank you! The crow woman is my favourite part.

3. Carol Carlisle

15/04/2014 at 2:05 pm

I laughed I cried crow or woman crow! Well done.
    I tried and I cheated I needed to tell the story of the lack of moon last night

15/04/2014 at 2:07 pm

I cheat all the time. It’s all about making the poem work!

4. whimsygizmo

15/04/2014 at 5:54 pm

I loved this one, Margo. Thank you for continuing to share these challenges. 🙂 http://whimsygizmo.wordpress.com/2014/04/15/ransom-vow/

I love this in yours, especially:
    “more
    are
    wearing
    some
    sun”

🙂

15/04/2014 at 5:59 pm

That’s what I love about these challenges, the almost forced serendipity.

5. purplepeninportland

16/04/2014 at 11:39 pm

Great job, Margo! This had me pulling my hair out.

17/04/2014 at 8:38 am

Thanks, Sara. Many of them have me pulling my hair out!

6. sonjajohanson10

17/04/2014 at 11:58 am

Like the bookends, they hold it together nicely.