Oulipoem 13: April 13 — Epithalamium

13 Apr

Now, there’s a mouthful.

The prompt:

An epithalamium is a poem written to celebrate the wedding, or more precisely the wedding bed. ‘An Oulipian epithalamium is composed exclusively with the letters of the names of the bride and bridegroom [bride and bride, groom and groom]. Visit the announcements section of your paper and select one couple. Write a poem using only words that can be made with the letters of their names.’ You may choose first names or full names depending on what you are comfortable with.

The process:

I chose full names, so I thank Judith Orlando and John Tamagni, may they live long and prosper. I entered their names into Scrabble Finder‘s wonderful word maker and chose words from the list. As the names are too long, I entered them in several permutations: johnjudith, judithorlando, johnorlando… As I needed something quick and enjoyed today’s sonnet exercise so much, I chose that as my form, sonnets being particularly suitable.

The poem:

handout
nor
trail:
hoard
undo

The source:

I am away from my wonderful source so have used the wedding section of the New York Times, online.

Posted by on 13/04/2014 in exercises, oulipost, poems, poetry, writing

Tags: , , , , , , ,

10 responses to “Oulipoem 13: April 13 — Epithalamium

1. Carol Carlisle

13/04/2014 at 9:51 am

I will do this for dear friends who will merry this summer…the Chron doesn’t have a wedding section.
    hoard undo hmmm, brillant

13/04/2014 at 10:24 am

I noticed the Chron doesn’t do weddings! I think it would be a lovely gift, Carol.

13/04/2014 at 3:12 pm

No handout nor trail is very good. I like the feel of this, too. And many thanks for reading mine.

14/04/2014 at 7:39 am

Okay, back on the east coast. Reading your poems, Misky, is always a pleasure.

3. whimsygizmo

13/04/2014 at 10:27 pm

Loving your minimalist sonnets, Margo!
    I’m here:

4. sonjajohanson10

13/04/2014 at 11:36 pm

I found an extra constraint helpful in this one, also. Plus, sonnets, marriage – how can you go wrong?