Oulipoem 12: April 12 — Sonnet

12 Apr

First things first: A call for submissions for Red Wolf Issue #2? This will be their summer issue and you can read all the info by heading over… after you write a poem.

The prompt:

‘Write a sonnet sourced from lines found in newspaper articles. You may choose your own sonnet type and should feel free to be creative with the rules. One known Oulipo variation is “sonnets of variable length,” in which one must compose a sonnet in which the lines are either as short as possible or as long as possible.’

A sonnet. Silence. Throws minor fit of despair. Receives much ‘there, there-ing’ the most important of which came from one of my co-participants, Carol A. Stephen, in the form of: You can write a sonnet of one word per line. Really? Perks up. No metre, or rhyme, but it does have a roughly 4x4x4x2 structure and a volta.

The poem:

introspective:
a
storyteller
bringing
truth.

The source:

Wiegand, David. ‘Cash jazzes up songs of South’; Datebook Music Review, San Francisco Chronicle; 12 April 2014. E3

Posted by on 12/04/2014 in exercises, oulipost, poems, poetry, writing

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

22 responses to “Oulipoem 12: April 12 — Sonnet

1. nicole.bow25@gmail.com

12/04/2014 at 2:07 pm

You know I wanted to do the one word a line sonnet but I felt I would screw it up. You did the complete opposite. Bravo!!!

12/04/2014 at 2:55 pm

Thank you, Nicole! Quick, write one.

2. james w. moore

12/04/2014 at 2:34 pm

oh my god. i love this. i want to just write sonnets like this for…ever. simple, clean. great.

12/04/2014 at 3:06 pm

Thank you, james. I greatly appreciate that. Once I decided the more traditional was going to cause me to gibber, this was such fun.

12/04/2014 at 2:38 pm

Until reading yours, I didn’t understand how one line could be one word. This is so clever, and just flows beautifully. Well done, Margo.

4. barbcrary

12/04/2014 at 4:37 pm

A wonderful job! I considered this, but felt I couldn’t do it justice – now I KNOW I couldn’t. Nice to see it done so well.

12/04/2014 at 5:31 pm

Ah, thank you, Barb. I’m encouraged to try more.

5. kaykuala

12/04/2014 at 7:07 pm

Never thought it could be this way. Very innovative. Learnt something new today! Great one Margo!

Hank

12/04/2014 at 7:29 pm

Thank you, Hank. I may take this form up more often!

6. whimsygizmo

12/04/2014 at 9:40 pm

Totally, utterly jealous of yours. Like verdant green jealous. Good thing I already like you so much.
    Mine is both variable, and questionable. 😉

7. whimsygizmo

12/04/2014 at 9:40 pm

Love love LOVE the soft rhyme of “loose” and “truth.” LOVE.

8. http://vivinfrance.wordpress.com

13/04/2014 at 3:51 am

That’s cheating, but fun cheating! If you think that gets you out of doing my challenge, think again :—) Incidentally, your definition of sonnet is just one kind – there are loads of kinds. I’ve put together a collection of 20 sonnets in about 10 different kinds. I ‘m now waiting for it to come bouncing back!

I’m not doing Oulipoetry but sonnets can come from anywhere, so I might write one using Elizabeth’s new words.

13/04/2014 at 10:23 am

Hah! As I typed this post I said to my mother ‘I have a friend… who’ll respond to this and tell me it’s all fine and good but not enough to satisfy the real challenge’! I did thoroughly enjoy this, ViV.

9. sonjajohanson10

13/04/2014 at 11:38 pm

You pulled off strong sentiment in only 14 words. Nicely turned. 🙂

14/04/2014 at 7:41 am

Thank you! I keep losing your site, Sonja. Now I’m back with my desktop, those cloudberries are getting pinned down.

10. Richard Thompson

19/05/2014 at 3:23 pm

This was really nice. I am enjoying the spare style a lot.

19/05/2014 at 3:50 pm

Thank you, Richard. Good to see you here. I struggle for spare, but it’s something I like, myself.