Oulipoem 12: April 12 — Sonnet

12 Apr

First things first: A call for submissions for Red Wolf Issue #2? This will be their summer issue and you can read all the info by heading over… after you write a poem.

The prompt:

‘Write a sonnet sourced from lines found in newspaper articles. You may choose your own sonnet type and should feel free to be creative with the rules. One known Oulipo variation is โ€œsonnets of variable length,โ€ in which one must compose a sonnet in which the lines are either as short as possible or as long as possible.’

A sonnet. Silence. Throws minor fit of despair. Receives much ‘there, there-ing’ the most important of which came from one of my co-participants, Carol A. Stephen, in the form of: You can write a sonnet of one word per line. Really? Perks up. No metre, or rhyme, but it does have a roughly 4x4x4x2 structure and a volta.

The poem:

introspective:
a
storyteller
bringing
truth.

The source:

Wiegand, David. ‘Cash jazzes up songs of South’; Datebook Music Review, San Francisco Chronicle; 12 April 2014. E3

Posted by on 12/04/2014 in exercises, oulipost, poems, poetry, writing

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

22 responses to “Oulipoem 12: April 12 — Sonnet

1. nicole.bow25@gmail.com

12/04/2014 at 2:07 pm

You know I wanted to do the one word a line sonnet but I felt I would screw it up. You did the complete opposite. Bravo!!!

12/04/2014 at 2:55 pm

Thank you, Nicole! Quick, write one.

2. james w. moore

12/04/2014 at 2:34 pm

oh my god. i love this. i want to just write sonnets like this for…ever. simple, clean. great.

12/04/2014 at 3:06 pm

Thank you, james. I greatly appreciate that. Once I decided the more traditional was going to cause me to gibber, this was such fun.

12/04/2014 at 2:38 pm

Until reading yours, I didn’t understand how one line could be one word. This is so clever, and just flows beautifully. Well done, Margo.

4. barbcrary

12/04/2014 at 4:37 pm

A wonderful job! I considered this, but felt I couldn’t do it justice – now I KNOW I couldn’t. Nice to see it done so well.

12/04/2014 at 5:31 pm

Ah, thank you, Barb. I’m encouraged to try more.

5. kaykuala

12/04/2014 at 7:07 pm

Never thought it could be this way. Very innovative. Learnt something new today! Great one Margo!

Hank

12/04/2014 at 7:29 pm

Thank you, Hank. I may take this form up more often!

6. whimsygizmo

12/04/2014 at 9:40 pm

Totally, utterly jealous of yours. Like verdant green jealous. Good thing I already like you so much.
    Mine is both variable, and questionable. ๐Ÿ˜‰

7. whimsygizmo

12/04/2014 at 9:40 pm

Love love LOVE the soft rhyme of “loose” and “truth.” LOVE.

8. http://vivinfrance.wordpress.com

13/04/2014 at 3:51 am

That’s cheating, but fun cheating! If you think that gets you out of doing my challenge, think again :—) Incidentally, your definition of sonnet is just one kind – there are loads of kinds. I’ve put together a collection of 20 sonnets in about 10 different kinds. I ‘m now waiting for it to come bouncing back!

I’m not doing Oulipoetry but sonnets can come from anywhere, so I might write one using Elizabeth’s new words.

13/04/2014 at 10:23 am

Hah! As I typed this post I said to my mother ‘I have a friend… who’ll respond to this and tell me it’s all fine and good but not enough to satisfy the real challenge’! I did thoroughly enjoy this, ViV.

9. sonjajohanson10

13/04/2014 at 11:38 pm

You pulled off strong sentiment in only 14 words. Nicely turned. ๐Ÿ™‚

14/04/2014 at 7:41 am

Thank you! I keep losing your site, Sonja. Now I’m back with my desktop, those cloudberries are getting pinned down.

10. Richard Thompson

19/05/2014 at 3:23 pm

This was really nice. I am enjoying the spare style a lot.

19/05/2014 at 3:50 pm

Thank you, Richard. Good to see you here. I struggle for spare, but it’s something I like, myself.