Oulipoem 7: April 7 — N+7

07 Apr

The prompt:

‘Select a passage from one of your newspaper articles. Replace each noun in the passage with the seventh noun following it in the dictionary.’  I added a constraint by going with whatever the text generator gave me, whether it missed a noun, or misidentified another part of speech. I had a lot more fun than I expected to this early in the morning.

The poem:

Your Horoscope + 7

ARIES
No one can knuckle you off     however
you can be     tricked into leaving
Be skeptical of “helpful”     today.

TAURUS
Be careful not to     shoot yourself in the footman.
You may have     earned your bragging right whales
but it doesn’t mean you have to     show them off.

GEMINI
One breech is all it takes     to lightning
a loved one’s spleen. This     couldn’t have happened
at a bicentenary timpanist. Lifetime at homily gets     easier.

CANCER
It’s hard to get excited about     pronunciations.
You’ve heard it all before.     But give today’s
a fresh hearthrug     because thistles have changed.

LEO
You’re given an “out”. If you feel like     you’re
out of your dervish then take it. There’s     no shard
in scallywag; you’ve gone as far as     you can go.

VIRGO
Forced to deathbed with a jab     hasn’t been easy,
but you’re stationed to see wretches. Keep     this
unorthodox aqualung to     hardship.

LIBRA
That certain someone who     popped up in your
lifetime recently    isn’t as foal-by-nightlight
as you think. Make rosary in your     heartthrob.

SCORPIO
The tightrope of oppression may be against     you,
but give it a court of weightlifters     and what’s out
will come rolling in     again.

SAGITTARIUS
You’re given     an option to merchant a rigour
so merchant it.     Even if you didn’t think you were
divisive it’s a good idiom to show you’re inclusive     now.

CAPRICORN
Hard work begins to pay off     but you could impede
your own projection     by sticking to fandango royalties.
Retraction the tried     and true.

AQUARIUS
An aphid     is put to restraint. Yes, you still
have to chapel some thistles     as a wretch of what
you’ve learned, but at least     you know it’s manageable.

PISCES
Sometimes the best wean     to bring harrow
to a skein     is to be assertive. Too much malfunction
and others take     advertisement.

The source:

Renstrom, Christopher. ‘Horoscope for Monday,’ San Francisco Chronicle 7 April 2014 E4

Posted by on 07/04/2014 in exercises, oulipost, poems, poetry, writing

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

29 responses to “Oulipoem 7: April 7 — N+7

07/04/2014 at 12:37 pm

07/04/2014 at 5:02 pm

I didn’t mind my Sagittarius!

• Misky

07/04/2014 at 5:26 pm

Peder read his and said, I don’t understand poetry. 😀 He’s a fish.

07/04/2014 at 5:48 pm

I particularly like his: Sometimes the best wean to bring harrow/to a skein is to be assertive

• whimsygizmo

07/04/2014 at 5:55 pm

I’m a Sag on the cusp of Cap, but I’m stilling feeling strongly as though I should learn how to “chapel some thistles” just in case. 😉

07/04/2014 at 5:59 pm

Makes me want to run out and chapel those thistles immediately and then merchant the rigour.

• whimsygizmo

07/04/2014 at 6:01 pm

Especially since one breech is all it takes…

07/04/2014 at 6:05 pm

Unless you shoot yourself in the footman

I just dissolved into laughter.

• whimsygizmo

07/04/2014 at 6:42 pm

Better watch out for that tightrope of oppression, too.
                  Goodness, the world is just fraught with peril. Plus unorthodox aqualungs. And harrowed skeins.

2. b_young

07/04/2014 at 1:03 pm

shoot yourself in the footman
    too much malfunction and others take advisement

Are your ribs still sore from the laugh you got doing this?

I like this so much better than any I’ve gotten with my New Collegiate. If I don’t cheat, way too often the result of +7 is just a variant of the starting word. And that’s no fun at all. Though your footman makes me re-think.
    forced to deathbed with a jab hadn’t been easy
    oh, you kid

07/04/2014 at 5:03 pm

Still aching. I come across it while doing comments, reread, and laugh all over again. I suspect this will be the most fun prompt.

• whimsygizmo

07/04/2014 at 5:04 pm

Yep. When I have time, I’m gonna “generate” about a billion of these. Maybe run some old poems through the wringer, too. 😉

3. whimsygizmo

07/04/2014 at 1:21 pm

These are just too much fun, Margo. Much better than the usual horoscope nonsense. 🙂
    I ADORE:
    “No one can knuckle you off however
    you can be tricked into leaving”

Your fantastic spacing technique adds much to this, also. Excellent work, ma’am.

This form is just too much fun. Mine ended up with the phrase “pickle bard sex” in it. 😉

07/04/2014 at 5:06 pm

I was amazed, de, how many made a weird sense.

Thank you, ma’am!

‘pickle bard sex’… I contemplate and anticipate and shall be over momentarily.

4. Reiser Perkins

07/04/2014 at 1:45 pm

Brilliant idea to use the horoscope! (Why didn’t I think of that !?) My favorite part:
    That certain someone who popped up in your
    lifetime recently isn’t as foal-by-nightlight
    as you think

07/04/2014 at 5:07 pm

Isn’t foal-by-nightlight’ as an adjective, wonderful. Someone had ‘two moonlights from now’ [or, similar] and I wanted to make it part of my vocabulary immediately.

5. barbcrary

07/04/2014 at 2:08 pm

Thanks for letting me know that I’ve earned my “bragging right whales” for today. I was worried about that.

6. Nancy Chen Long

07/04/2014 at 5:45 pm

Margo, your creativity is inspirational! This is definitely fun–I’m glad to know that no one can knuckle me off today:)

7. quillfyre

07/04/2014 at 5:58 pm

laughing out loud. Thank goodness I am always skeptical of helpful anyway

07/04/2014 at 6:01 pm

I know what you mean, Carol. I may have to keep doing horoscopes this way.

07/04/2014 at 8:04 pm

They really DO all make a weird sense…great way to put it…the second part of Aries…that is scary true sometimes…all take that one to heart but not to the point of total skepticism. 🙂 ‘

This one was great fun, Margo!! 🙂

9. Carol Carlisle

08/04/2014 at 1:55 pm

Well I’m all about the fandango royalties 🙂 Fu Fun Funn!

10. sonjajohanson10

17/04/2014 at 12:13 pm

I’m working backwards, and now see that this was your first horoscope series. What a good device. “make rosary in your heartthrob” – sweet line.

17/04/2014 at 12:40 pm

I’m doing much the same. There will be much reading done in May.