Red Wolf emerges from the woods

17 Dec

I was imagining a Venn diagram of followers of We Write Poems, Yousei, and Misky. Some people are going to see this four times, but we’re excited about it.

The borrowed prompt for today is tied to the anthology. Wander through and jot down first lines that you like [along with the poet’s name]. You can do one of two things. Take all the first lines you have picked and use them as your poem — tenses and pronouns can be changed for sense. Or, pick your favourite line and use it as your first line. Remember to credit the original authors.

Have a wonderful holiday everyone and happy writing. See you in the New Year.

We Write Poems

red wolf eyes
We’re excited to present you the Red Wolf collection, the first We Write Poems prompted-poem anthology.

This first anthology is the culmination of roughly three years of work – people writing poems in response to prompts presented at this site. So prompts and the Internet were the great enablers of the creative process by which these poems were written and shared.

The title of the anthology, “Red Wolf”, reflects the art banner of our site. We think it helps define who we are, who we want to be – poets who look to play a little dangerously, realizing the hungry teeth also of our natures, and with willingness in allowing risk. Real writing calls for nothing less. But then again, we’ve nothing against also having fun.

And because prompts played such an integral part in triggering the poems we write, we decided to feature the prompts…

View original post 294 more words

Posted by on 17/12/2013 in miscellanea

28 responses to “Red Wolf emerges from the woods

1. barbara_y

17/12/2013 at 8:14 am

Don’t know what Venn would have made of the internet. A diagram in four dimensions?
    Have grand holidays.
    Y’all take care of yourselves

17/12/2013 at 10:06 am

We will make every attempt to do so. Have grand holidays, that is. The same to you and yours.
      Take care.

2. Yousei Hime

17/12/2013 at 8:58 am

What a great idea for a prompt. Busy day today, but I’ll try to fashion something for you. 🙂

17/12/2013 at 10:07 am

It’s a fun one, Yousei. I look forward to even the possibility of a poem :-).

17/12/2013 at 11:10 am

Might try this later but for my now my haibun loving friend here is a mini haubun:

(I forgot that you may have already seen it…)
    Planning to stick my toes in some warm sand soon. Not sure about how active I’ll be the for the rest of the year. Cheers to all and to all a pleasant ending and a great start to the New Year!!

17/12/2013 at 12:11 pm

Warm sand? There’s warm sand somewhere?

I shall see you in the New Year, if not before.

• julespaige

17/12/2013 at 9:31 pm

There will be warm sand…in St. Augustine before this year is out 😉 at least for me!!!

17/12/2013 at 11:12 am

Is this the post for/or instead of Tuesday poetry tryouts? If so yay!! Excellent idea! My poem is in there, too! (still doing the happy dance for that one 😉 It’s a great collection and I’m happy to have some time to browse more. 🙂

Happy day to you, Margo and everyone else, too.

It’s frigid here today…taking Finley for his dogly duties in eleven degrees was a booger freezing experience! 🙂

17/12/2013 at 12:10 pm

Yep! I love the timing for this 😉

Happy many days to you, Hannah.

I’m dead whichever way I go with the weather. If I say what a gorgeous day it is, the entirety of New England is not amused. If I say it’s cold, New England and the north/mid-west scoff!

• Hannah Gosselin

17/12/2013 at 2:04 pm

It IS perfect timing!

Thank you for the happiness wishes!!

Yeah, I imagine it’d be tough being liked if one’s job were to be a weather-person as well…interesting how our perspectives change from season to season. I enjoy the best and worst of all of them, personally. :)!!

5. barbara_y

17/12/2013 at 12:50 pm

Hokay. Had to leave a lot of good lines scattered on the quilt, but here’s my patchwork

17/12/2013 at 3:36 pm

You can go back and pick them up. I’m looking forward to this read.

17/12/2013 at 4:59 pm

You got a two-fer-Tuesday outta me!!

Thank you for being here, Margo…you make my day more poetic and happy! 🙂

7. Irene

17/12/2013 at 5:33 pm

What a great idea to do a poem inspired by first lines from the anthology. Thanks so much for the support, Margo. Btw it snowed in north Vietnam. It was freaking cold the December I was there.

17/12/2013 at 5:36 pm

The weather is nuts everywhere!

18/12/2013 at 5:56 pm

I took various lines rather than just the first line, as I found myself duplicating other’s centos. http://miskmask.wordpress.com/2013/12/18/red-wolf-like-truth-itself/

18/12/2013 at 6:30 pm

That’s what I enjoy doing the most.

You and Peder have a wonderful Christmas. xom

• Misky

19/12/2013 at 6:16 am

And a very happy Christmas to you both, also. xx M

9. Irene

20/12/2013 at 7:59 pm

All first lines from all the poems in the exact sequence as they appear in the Red Wolf anthology.
    Happy holidays, Margo. Loving this time of the year.

red wolf darkly we whisper
    gently, in slow, warm caress
    she withdrew subtly
    shadows shorn from shouldered shapes
    declining

10. Irene

20/12/2013 at 8:01 pm

*Oops done without stanza breaks*

11. Irene

20/12/2013 at 8:03 pm

Redone with stanza breaks. Sorry!

red wolf darkly we whisper

across my cheek,
    gently, in slow, warm caress
    she withdrew subtly
    shadows shorn from shouldered shapes
    declining

24/12/2013 at 3:27 pm

Irene, this is brilliant. I can’t believe how well it works and I’m jealous that you got to do it because you thought of it!