Poem for We Write Poems

26 Oct

I have loved this month of prompts with Pamela Sayers. Her prompts are all the things I like to write about. That does not help, as you all know well, when one is in a writing funk. I was, however, determined to have a response to one of Pamela’s prompts, so, for you, Pamela:

Once a Dreamer

She never watched the clock
or snuck looks at the classroom door,

but, in her report cards
teachers said:
She looks out the window
too much, dreaming.

Still, she dreamt
and still she dreams.

If you have not checked in at WWP for a while, you should wander by. If you are a regular, then I shall see you over there, or cross paths while reading others’ poems.

Posted by on 26/10/2013 in poetry

Tags: , ,

21 responses to “Poem for We Write Poems

26/10/2013 at 11:29 am

Me too, Margo..me, too.

I love the brevity and balance in this poem. 🙂

26/10/2013 at 11:37 am

😀 It would have been briefer if it could, but I insisted! I used to have the hardest time writing short poems; now, I love the challenge.

• Hannah Gosselin

26/10/2013 at 11:48 am

Yes, I agree…it really forces one to focus on word choice and on the delivery of those words, too! I can see why it’s hard to write short ones…for me it’s bc the process is so much fun that when they’re short it seems…well, short. Hehe…I think you insisted just enough! 🙂

26/10/2013 at 11:49 am

Oh, this is lovely. Are you taking about you or me???

Thanks for reminding me I haven’t been there yet. But I do intend to post there. Humm I think I might just ‘cheat’ and use the whole series that I did for Miz Q as it ends with a verse with a door…

26/10/2013 at 12:41 pm

I love the image, Jules, of us both sitting and looking out windows.

Well, good. Then, I’ll read the series!

3. Ruth

26/10/2013 at 12:17 pm

Brilliant in its brevity – but how did you know what the teachers wrote in my report cards? 😉

To my mind you could have left off the final couplet, as the title had already triggered it (though I suppose it’s possible not everyone knows that proverb?)

26/10/2013 at 12:46 pm

😉 I’ll bet there are a lot of us, Ruth: window outlookers.

I suspect a few people don’t know the proverb. Even so, I would rather change the title. I like the couplet. (Uh oh. Stephen King suggests that’s the best reason for getting rid of a piece of writing) I’ll make a note in my files. Thank you for that. I love going back and revising based on comments. The comments open windows 😉

• Ruth

26/10/2013 at 1:18 pm

Does he now (re Stephen King suggests…)? – Must remember, must remember… 😉

26/10/2013 at 1:23 pm

Also: When you think you are finished, go back and cut 10%. That became a classroom mantra.

4. http://vivinfrance.wordpress.com

26/10/2013 at 4:19 pm

A sweet one. Dreaming is good!

5. Pamela

26/10/2013 at 8:31 pm

Love this, Margo, as it is me to a “T”. Thanks so much for joining in, as I have been in a funk as well. I have been ill with the flu, which turned into a bronchial infection and then I found out I have high-blood pressure to top it all off.

27/10/2013 at 3:28 pm

So that’s why I was flu-ey all week, sympathy flu. I hope you are recovering. last night was my first with energy, all week. Clearly all were to make sure the high blood pressure was found. Take care, my dear.

6. Irene

27/10/2013 at 7:30 am

Short and sweet, enjoyed it, Margo. Oh my Pamela, gotta take care.

7. Ron.

27/10/2013 at 1:26 pm

Only about 2% of what matters actually happens inside the classroom anyway…

27/10/2013 at 3:30 pm

Grin. Thank you, Ron… although MY classroom, but that’s because I taught my students to look out windows.

8. ravenswingpoetry

29/10/2013 at 10:54 am

Beautiful both in its brevity and simplicity. I was a dreamer too…and still am. But I’m not the only one. 🙂

-Nicole

29/10/2013 at 11:11 am

Thanks, Nicole. This world would be a sad place without its dreamers, wouldn’t it? Keep dreaming 🙂

m

9. Denise

29/10/2013 at 3:11 pm

Brings back memories – well done!