Poetics Serendipity: All Things NaNoWriMo

24 Oct

listening to Lover of the Light sung by Mumford & Sons… … … okay, I’m back. I find I can’t listen and write when this comes on. In fact, I tend to dance… yes, in my chair. Don’t you dance while sitting?

Hello, everyone. Have you been looking at your calendars, or throwing tea towels over them so you can’t see the date? One more week. Time to gird those loins, haul out the ream of paper, sharpen the pencils — sounds more romantic than the tech version. We are counting down to NaNoWriMo. I say ‘we’ as I shall support you in spirit all the way through. Yup. Support.

Last year, on Poetry Tuesdays, I gave narrative prompts during November, so that NaNo-ers had exercises that contributed towards whatever they were working on. I shall do the same this year. People who are not participating can adapt all the prompts and continue posting poems.

1] The first link is to the main site of National Novel Writing Month. I’m not a participant and I loved exploring the place. Everything about it is set up to calm frantic writers, down to the colours of the pages. Go on over and look around. They even have cheerleaders. I’m not kidding. They call them pep talkers.

2] This year lulu.com is working with NaNoWriMo to help more authors than ever before realize their vision. Your heart beat faster, didn’t it? They have set up a Forum and they have an interesting offer which, as far as I can see, is free, so check them out. The offer? A free manuscript review, and a free first edition hardcover.

3] I love this next one, but it’s time sensitive: Sign-ups are through tomorrow. On her site, Judy Lee Dunn describes this event: The goal is to publish a book with “the largest number of authors of any novel ever written.” Writers who accept the assignment will contribute scenes or chapters of at least 800 words of a 50,000-word novel. GrammoWriMo is sponsored by Grammarly (and if you don’t know them, just for what they do, stroll on over) and sounds such fun. One novel, hundreds of authors, nay, thousands.

4] Consider joining NaNoWriMo’s Facebook page. I discovered during my April poetry experience that having a community to visit and talk with, or glance through, each day, is part of the fun.

5] If you really, really want to do this and absolutely cannot, for whatever reason, consider Camp NaNoWriMo. I know! They are from the same parent organisation as NaNoWriMo and hold their own event in April and again in July. Go on over to see the site.

6] For interest, amusement, things you didn’t know, visit Chuck Wendig’s 25 Things You Should Know About NaNoWriMo. Be warned: there is profanity, but I like what he has to say and how he says it, and that’s part of his voice.

That should do to get you raring at the start line. I shall see you tomorrow for this week’s line-up of prompts; next Tuesday for our image prompt; and, next Thursday for more links.

Happy writing, all.

Posted by on 24/10/2013 in writing

Tags: , , , , , ,

11 responses to “Poetics Serendipity: All Things NaNoWriMo

24/10/2013 at 9:45 am

Ack… not this year. I barely have the time to write to the weekly challenges I attempt to remain faithful to. I shall lend my support to those who enter the foray. While chair dancing!

24/10/2013 at 11:28 am

Jules, check out the offer at Grammarly. If you sign up by tomorrow, the most you would have to write is a scene and you are good at scenes!

2. barbara_y

24/10/2013 at 11:11 am

I loved my NaNo experiences. If your town is large enough, you may already have a group, too. May sound absurd to get together to write, when you know you can get much more done by staying at home, but it’s fun and can be a sort of transfusion.
    The forums on their website are excellent, and a huge source if fun (and a great way to postpone writing)

I, however, am plot- and continuity- challenged. Poems! Don’t know who else has November challenges, but Poetic Asides will run daily prompts and you can put together a chapbook from your responses. I think the prize is just, as in NaNo, bragging rights. May be wrong, though.

24/10/2013 at 11:30 am

Barbara, I have a complicated exercise that I might use as the first one. It’s point is to allow people to write with continuity but without having to think of the whole shebang.

I’ll mention Robert’s thing again next Thursday. I know you posted last week. His thing has never worked for me, so I watch that one, too.

• barbara_y

24/10/2013 at 11:49 am

I don’t love his prompts, but it’s a stable environment. I have an idea for a collection and think I can make him work for me. If I don’t get sidetracked into Red Riding Hood again.

24/10/2013 at 11:54 am

The wolf is always waiting.

That making someone’s prompts work for you is an interesting exercise. I’m working on a possible chapbook about my mother. I use Brenda’s wordle words each week. They work wonderfully to keep me centred and within a framework.

• barbara_y

24/10/2013 at 12:05 pm

He’s more interesting than NaNo plot bunnies.

I have a snapshot of my father, fishing. I’m thinking about using that. Not so much as itself (though that too) as…kinda like Wallace Stevens Jar.

24/10/2013 at 12:10 pm

Nice. I’ve enjoyed your six together prompts and have them collected to work with. I’m inhabiting a photograph of my father, swinging at a baseball, in Hong Kong in 1950.

3. Heather

24/10/2013 at 3:09 pm

I love M&S. And I dance in my chair. Looking forward to NaNo, though I’ll be a word count rebel.

24/10/2013 at 3:54 pm

Go for it. I’m usually a rebel with anything prescribed.

24/10/2013 at 7:33 pm

Oh…just too complicated. Though I did look. I just don’t think I want to be involved in something where I my efforts will be edited and I can’t even use them without permission. I don’t even think I’ll do the November chap book thingy. I have enough of my own material for a few hundred chap books. I just don’t want to commit to someone else’s project or rules at the moment.

But thanks for providing the info. Something to think about for next year.