Poem Tryouts: If You Build It

15 Oct

listening to Blood, Sweat & Tears

Hello there. Everyone present and accounted for? All We Write Poems people, poems submitted, hmmm? NaNoWriMo people gearing up? In the mean time let’s play.

Context: One of the many musings that occupies my brain, is the building and designing of a museum.  I love architecture, so the building part can occupy me for days. I have spent my life in museums, so the interior design of the perfect museum can keep me out of trouble for more days. I worked in a museum for almost four years as its curator of conservation: Do I even have to tell you that building and designing the exhibits for whatever my chosen artifacts are, gives me hours of joy? This could explain the short shrift I give to housework.

The questions: If you could build a museum, what would you build? What would it look like? How big? Where? More importantly for our purposes, what will your exhibits focus on? Is your museum going to be, The Museum of: natural flight, Scotch, old notebooks belonging to ____, obscure sorrows, toys… ? What? What artifacts have you collected for it?

To do: Jot notes to those questions, so your brain has a chance to scurry around and pull things from the corners. List the possibilities for type of museum you want to play with, then narrow down to a couple and start listing under each. You will know when you decide on the what. Think a while on the how.

The poem: All the thinking and listing is to give you depth for your final writing. Your poem can be the design of a single exhibit, the contents of that exhibit, a single artifact. Your poem might be metaphorical. Remember that the original definition of the word is: a place to celebrate the Muses.

In the end, you might write of something that bears no resemblance to what I have asked about. That’s fine. After all, you already have the greatest of museums, your mind.

Form? That depends entirely on what you have decided you want to write about. I am thinking that this topic lends itself to a more classical form than free verse. I see every possibility from list poems to haiku.

Homework: I know, not something I do often, but it will help those who like to write and post the same day, or close to, the prompt comes out. Find a poem that gives a piece of, or one side of, a story.

I shall see you Thursday for a diversity of links; Friday for the roundup of this week’s prompts; and next Tuesday for some work on point of view [as it seems to be on various sites’ minds] — see above, under homework.

Happy writing, all.

Posted by on 15/10/2013 in exercises, poetry

Tags: , ,

15 responses to “Poem Tryouts: If You Build It

1. barbara_y

15/10/2013 at 12:57 pm

Did you find some Fall up there? Ours is somewhere. Misplaced?

15/10/2013 at 1:03 pm

Temperatures, yes, colour on the foliage, not so much, certainly not what we have been led to expect all our lives. Rumour has it we were a week early. Mmhmm. Temperatures here, in Atlanta, are glorious. I have my woolie socks on and keep putting on then taking off my cardie. The trees should start turning this weekend. I hope. I’ll try and send some your way.

15/10/2013 at 8:23 pm

Um…I loved this…I just love that your idea of daydreaming consists of creating make believe museums…you make me happy, Margo! 🙂

16/10/2013 at 7:15 am

Oh, Hannah, thank you. It’s a soothing, as well as fun, thing to do. Give it a try!

3. neil reid

16/10/2013 at 6:10 am

I didn’t mean to write this. didn’t even remember till just now. Margo, thank you.

found in a museum attic somewhere I don’t know

16/10/2013 at 7:17 am

Those are the poems that are often the most satisfying, Neil.

I am so glad to see you here!

4. Carol Carlisle

18/10/2013 at 1:48 pm

Margo I have been in a rather silly writing mood so I couldn’t wrap my head around architecture this week but I did write http://piecesofstarlight.wordpress.com/2013/10/15/ode-to-miss-lucy-fur-a-black-cat-in-disguise/
    and got in trouble with the owner of Miss Lucy-Fur

5. purplepeninportland

18/10/2013 at 11:47 pm

19/10/2013 at 10:10 am

Thank you, Sara! This one is fun, isn’t it!

6. markwindham

19/10/2013 at 3:40 pm

extended metaphor anyone?

20/10/2013 at 11:04 am

You? An extended metaphor? 😉 I’m on my way.