Poetics Serendipity

19 Sep

listening to Seals & Crofts singing Hummingbird [thought of you, Hannah!]

Hullo, everyone. Anyone else feeling enh? I suspect it’s a September thing. It made choosing links more difficult. I kept looking at things I had put aside and to each my brain said, Enh. The result may be odd.

1] The first offering can be an easy chew, like a gummie bear, or a hefty chew, like a steak. The article addresses the point that: the publishing industry that we talk about, when we talk about the thing that is existentially threatened in the digital age, is not the same thing as the book. It is one of those articles where I start to skim and then go back and then go back again and settle in to read. That article for which I have given you the link is the gummie bear, ‘The Swirl and Gurgle‘, by Mark Lane.

Lane, in turn, gives us a link to the steak, an essay by Richard Nash, ‘What Is the Business of Literature?’ For all of us concerned with publishing, the essay is an important one, but if your brain screams when it sees it, Lane gives a very digestible short version.

2] I haven’t put up places to submit, more than a couple of times. I may change that… Meanwhile, Revolution House has an intriguing annual issue, which they call their Resurrection Issue. The poems [flash fiction, creative non-fiction] that they are looking for are the ones you had published and then the magazine sank from sight. What a great idea. I often bemoan a couple of my poems where the e-zine not only stopped, but left no archives. Revolution House wants to give our work a second life.

The link is to their submissions page. The main website is undergoing a make-over, but they have links to the genres and their guidelines, as well as to back issues. Check it out. Then start Googling lines from poems that you are sure have disappeared!

3] The second site comes from my son who knows I collect such things. The article is titled: ‘The Ultimate Guide to Writing Better Than You Normally Do‘ by Colin Nissan. One of the things I love, aside from the intelligent advice, is the layout, which makes each admonition look bite-size, therefore accomplishable. The title says it all. Oh, and ignore the little bit that precedes the main article.

4] Need a laugh? How about laughing at ourselves and taking a poke at grammar? I thought so. Debbie Ridpath Ohi is such a tonic.

published with the permission of Debbie Ridpath Ohi

published with the permission of Debbie Ridpath Ohi

Enjoy and I shall see you tomorrow for the week’s roundup of prompts; next Tuesday for a prompt; and next Thursday for links and stuff.

Happy writing, everyone.

Posted by on 19/09/2013 in poetry, writing

Tags: , , , , , ,

10 responses to “Poetics Serendipity

19/09/2013 at 11:00 am

I’m going to send you some more current tunes. Crumbs, girl.

19/09/2013 at 1:56 pm

Margo!!! I love that my name and the hummingbird is in this post!! What a nice surprise. πŸ™‚ Lil’ contented sigh…going back to read…

I’m a big fan of “hold-in-your-hands-books,” whattabummer on those discontinued non-archiving ezines…humph.

Holy sneezes…I haven….sneeze…’t….sneezed so much in my whole life as this last…sneeze…week. No kidding. No joke.Allergies…I’maguessin’.

That aside. I love that you share writing stuffs with your son….I can picture that happening when I grow up. πŸ˜‰

So, I’m sure you’ve heard of this book before,”Writing the Life Poetic-An Invitation To Read & Write Poetry,” by Sage Cohen…I found it at my local music store…I went in with the intention of finding something poetic and found this book that Robert Brewer from Poetic Asides mentioned awhile ago…any way…score! It even has illustrations! πŸ™‚

Grammar IS important…I’m so glad my word docs has a spell/grammar check-y-gadget-y-thing. Seriously. πŸ˜‰

There. Did I talk up a storm…or what?!

Thank you for the Serendipity, Margo. πŸ™‚

19/09/2013 at 2:04 pm

What can I say? Serendipity!

Hey! Illustrations. You sold me right there. When I first started on here, I ran across Sage often. I had forgotten the book, so thank you. I don’t know about you, but I can’t have too many!

• Hannah Gosselin

19/09/2013 at 3:52 pm

I’ll take it…that’s a sweet thank you… πŸ™‚

Loving the link from son…this “A wicked temptress beckoning you to watch your children, and take showers. Well, it’s time to look procrastination in the eye and tell that seafaring wench, β€œSorry not today, today I write.” Has me laughing and nodding my head!! The gym likening is funny, too…humor is good medicine. :)!

3. David J. Bauman

20/09/2013 at 2:14 am

Margo, thanks. I don’t say that to you enough for the great resources you pass along, so let me pause again to say it. Thanks.

The β€˜The Ultimate Guide to Writing Better Than You Normally Do’ is just brilliant, originally funny and insightful. And I like the Resurrection issue idea. Might be a way to revive an award winning piece. Worth a try anyway.

And Misky, I LOVES me some Katie Melua.

20/09/2013 at 7:56 am

David [although I do think of you as sonofwalt], you are welcome. It’s good to hear from you.

With your high recommendation on top of Misk’s, I’m going right to my player to listen.

• David J. Bauman

20/09/2013 at 11:04 am

I am honored. And yes, that was my screen name for so many things for so long, and a vestige of it remains here on WordPress and in my email address. I like it. They called me Walt at the old MSN Poetry Workshop, subtitled an Asylum for Writers. I’m kind of fond of it.

Oh, and I think you’ll enjoy Katie’s music.