Poem Tryouts: It’s Miller Time

17 Sep

listening to Harry Belafonte singing Kingston Market

Hello, all. We have a cool, grey day here. Go Autumn. Meanwhile, for your writing pleasure, I have eight statements made by author, Henry Miller:

The aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, drunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.

An artist is always alone — if [s]he is an artist. No, what the artist needs is loneliness.

The moment one gives close attention to any thing, even a blade of grass it becomes a mysterious, awesome, indescribably magnificent world in itself.

Confusion is a word we have invented for an order which is not understood.

All growth is a leap in the dark, a spontaneous unpremeditated act without benefit of experience.

One can be absolutely truthful and sincere even though admittedly the most outrageous liar. Fiction and invention are of the very fabric of life.

If we are always arriving and departing, it is also true that we are eternally anchored. One’s destination is never a place but rather a new way of looking at things.

Chaos is the score upon which reality is written.

Okay? You may choose one, or combine a couple, or combine parts of several. You may respond to one, or part of one. You may set up a speaker who agrees, or disagrees, or it might be your own thoughts. You might also go totally off the grid because a couple of words remind you of that one winter, at the farm, when you got caught… so, yes, anything.

I shall see you Thursday for links and such; Friday for the prompts roundup; and next Tuesday for something I will have come up with.

Happy writing, everyone.

Posted by on 17/09/2013 in exercises, poetry

Tags: ,

30 responses to “Poem Tryouts: It’s Miller Time

1. barbara_y

17/09/2013 at 8:57 am

Funny. I’m taking the Coursera online ModPo course. Just began looking at “I taste a liquor never brewed”, and there’s Miller saying the same thing. (In a manner somewhat more to my taste)

17/09/2013 at 9:12 am

So Miller quotes himself?!

I took the course last year. It’s an incredible undertaking on the part of the organisers and presenters.

2. http://vivinfrance.wordpress.com

17/09/2013 at 9:16 am

Henry Miller said: Confusion is a word we have invented for an order which is not understood.

So much poetry is written that
    I simply don’t understand.
    Confusion worries me,
    turns me off at once.
    I want honest,
    meaningful
    beautiful
    musical
    lines.

17/09/2013 at 9:23 am

Hello, you. How good to see you here and therefore better.
      I like the way the poem is what you want.

• purplepeninportland

20/09/2013 at 10:51 pm

Good one, Viv!

3. Jeep Walters

17/09/2013 at 9:41 am

Miller’s line: “An artist is always alone β€” if [s]he is an artist. No, what the artist needs is loneliness.”

To which I say: http://oneshoreinsilence.blogspot.com/2013/09/creative-curmudgeon.html

4. markwindham

17/09/2013 at 10:01 am

will he find time to write this week….? inkwell has been frequently dry lately (or just hidden behind annoyingly necessary work piles). Vacation next week!!! Maybe the beach will inspire and family will allow time.

17/09/2013 at 10:08 am

I do hope he will. His voice is missed! Although dry inkwells is a known affliction. We won’t go into when was the last poem I posted, or even wrote and didn’t post. I don’t panic any more. How lovely to look forward to beach and vacation! We head to Vermont the second week in October to see our granddaughter who sounds like she will be immense fun.

• markwindham

17/09/2013 at 11:19 am

Not too worried, I have squeezed a couple out that I am not ashamed of over the last week or so. I did catch the damp musty smell of a cave coming from your direction. πŸ™‚ Grandchild does sound fun, though I am in no hurry to experience.

5. georgeplace2013Debi Swim

17/09/2013 at 3:39 pm

17/09/2013 at 4:31 pm

This one shares your limelight with P’Blooming, as it’s a list poem using your Miller inspiration. I’ll try to spit out another one but time is slim this week as I’m heading to France in a few days.

18/09/2013 at 7:40 am

Share? SHARE? Oh, alright :-). I love list poems.

France. Holidays? We head to Vermont early October for five days with our granddaughter, who is not only fully sentient at this point but looks to be a whole lot of fun.

• Misky

18/09/2013 at 7:57 am

Share? There’s not much to share: we’re going to France (Dijon) to escape the plumbers who are replacing our rubbish plumbing with something more efficient and energy friendly. I plan on eating a lot of food. And cheese. And mustard. And cake. Let me eat cake.

Enjoy your time with your granddaughter. Sounds like oodles of fun!!

18/09/2013 at 8:09 am

1966. We were on a three month car tour of Europe. My mum planned every stop for its food (and art, and churches, but mostly food). Dijon was one. All I remember was it was good. Enjoy.

• Misky

18/09/2013 at 9:44 am

Will do. Undoubtedly.

17/09/2013 at 6:22 pm

Hi!!

Margo! This one is so full of directions to go in…I’m glad for these quotes an introduction to Henry Miller…

Thank you! πŸ™‚

8. Ruth

17/09/2013 at 11:00 pm

What a warm autumn glow your blog sports these days! Lovely to see…

18/09/2013 at 7:38 am

Why, thank you, Ruth! Now, if the leaves will follow suit.

18/09/2013 at 6:33 am

Or maybe this is more to your liking … http://miskmask.wordpress.com/2013/09/18/a-view-through-trees/

18/09/2013 at 7:41 am

Two poems. How lovely. I am heading to your patch.

10. scotianightpoetry

18/09/2013 at 8:36 am

Reblogged this on My Bewildered Brain.

11. barbara_y

18/09/2013 at 9:25 am

12. purplepeninportland

19/09/2013 at 5:21 pm

I must have read each quote six times, but finally I came up with what I needed.

13. rudyan

22/09/2013 at 5:23 pm

I chose the one about paying attention to the moment (surprise surprise):

22/09/2013 at 5:36 pm

Grin. I would never have guessed that for you.