Poems for Miz Q

30 Aug

I would have given everyone a day’s rest from me in your inbox, but I’ll be on the road tomorrow. It’s now or never and, lately, I have been too quiet with my own writing. Not that these five shorts are my words.

I was excited by Miz Quickly’s first prompt this week that amounts to taking an image and presenting it three ways. Then I was looking through poems for an image and discovered I had done a similar exercise in April, although the images were given to us from song titles. As my brain stopped there, sigh, I will present those and hope that I will then be free to find another image to work with.

Thanks to Elizabeth for the songs and to Fireflies by Owl City and Under African Skies by Paul Simon. I stayed, as you will see, close to the titles. There are three different versions.

She walks her days under African
skies; her nights are lit by fireflies.

***
At night — with fireflies,
under the African skies —
all worries dissolve.

***
Under the African skies
on a night lit by fireflies,
I see stars everywhere.

The second prompt gives us phrases from television titles to play with. I came up with two shorts. I added as little as possible. For the list of phrases, head to Miz Quickly’s.

Sometimes     a love worth finding
lies at the heart of the glacier
buried in ice     scarred and gnarled,
not easily broken.

***

Splashed across
the murder wall,
Noches de Gloria
— on the ground, broken
flowers, a soldier’s
heart, the watchmaker’s
daughter     victorious.

Posted by on 30/08/2013 in poetry

Tags:

7 responses to “Poems for Miz Q

30/08/2013 at 2:35 pm

The first one is magnificent!

30/08/2013 at 4:49 pm

I loved playing with those two titles. the images fascinate me.

2. Debi

30/08/2013 at 3:29 pm

I esp like the first poem in the second prompt.

30/08/2013 at 4:50 pm

I was worried at first that it would sound overly sentimental, but it doesn’t, does it? Something keeps it this side of it.

3. Quickly

01/09/2013 at 8:44 pm

As I transcribed the titles, I was really surprised at how much poetry there was in them. “smooth legs for summer” “noches de gloria” How can you lose?

02/09/2013 at 4:42 pm

I love playing with titles.
      Happy hiatus!