Poem Tryouts: The Mystery Remains

20 Aug

listening to Up On Cripple Creek by The Band

Hi, everyone. All is well, I hope. The found poetry is still being worked on. It’s a good thing I didn’t have it as one of the exercises for while I was away. We will, therefore, shift the final week of August’s image prompt to this week. Oh, yes? I heard the rustling. I see everyone bright-eyed. I know you. You love images. Wait until you see the one I found. More accurately, my younger brother found it. He is a treasure trove of such things.

Here is what his email said, before I looked at the photograph — read it before clicking on the link:

‘This has got to be one of the creepiest photos I’ve ever seen…

Welcome to Miyake-jima, where all 3,600 residents (and visiting tourists)
must carry masks at all times because of the high levels of poisonous gas
continuously leaking from their local volcano!  Strangely enough, the
island is officially a part of Tokyo and served as the Devil’s Island of
the Edo Period…’

Me again. I adore the photograph. If you look closely, you will note evidence of the time period when it was taken. Can you picture the scene? The sensibility that would come up with the idea to do this? The conversations?

For me, that’s the fun way to go, speaking in the voice of the photographer, or the Director of the photograph, or one of the participants, or a conversation amongst the participants. The question you need to answer before you start, is whether you want to write something that is accompanied by the photograph, which will allow you greater freedom with what you won’t have to say; or, to write a stand alone poem. The haibun form might work well with this.

I shall see you Thursday for links and things; Friday for the prompt round-up; and next Tuesday for found poetry… really.

Happy writing, all.

Posted by on 20/08/2013 in exercises, poetry, writing

Tags: , ,

19 responses to “Poem Tryouts: The Mystery Remains

1. barbara_y

20/08/2013 at 9:22 am

Love those two guys in the left foreground with their little…?mortar? And that the masks aren’t entirely of the same design. Very cool. Thank you, Margo’s brother. (god help us if he and my husband ever met)

20/08/2013 at 9:26 am

That was my first hint that it was not a modern photograph. Then I looked at the clothing. I can be slow. Although the masks tend to hold the attention. A mortar possibly, because of its size, or a toy cannon. I would put nothing past a group who takes this photograph.

I get more fascinating stuff from Steve. He spends every lunchtime trawling the web and sends his daughter and me two or three things, most days. His tastes run all over the place. Maybe we should get the two together…

20/08/2013 at 10:34 am

Extremely disturbing. Nightmare stuff. Eeek. Good afternoon to you and your brother.

20/08/2013 at 11:01 am

I did a bit of research for the haibun…good suggestion. But Son of Son is coming over soon so posting will have to wait.
    If you google Miyake-Jima there is also a wedding photo of folks decked out in gas-masks! Erie!

20/08/2013 at 11:40 am

Son must be running late… so here you go – get your box of tissues ready.

Do pass it along to Steve… see if he enjoys ‘it’ to. And thank him for me 🙂

20/08/2013 at 1:56 pm

I shall, Jules, both the tissue and passing the poem along to Steve!

20/08/2013 at 2:19 pm

That IS freakin’ creepy and oddly enough is exactly what my head feels like right now…not to complain or anything but going on wk 3 of a sinus thing here. *sigh and some waaaAAAaaahhh, too* Words might not show up for me this time. On a happier note we have a new fur-family member…Finley!! Come meet him! http://wordrustling.wordpress.com/2013/08/19/introduction-time/

6. markwindham

20/08/2013 at 8:34 pm

on the same day as the prompt even.

21/08/2013 at 7:26 am

Wow! You must be trying to escape something!

7. purplepeninportland

20/08/2013 at 11:37 pm

Most disturbing and dark, so of course, mine is up.

8. barbara_y

21/08/2013 at 9:38 am

Running late. (on everything I do lately)

21/08/2013 at 9:47 am

And you are in a hurry because?

23/08/2013 at 6:47 am