Poetics Serendipity

08 Aug

no desktop = no music — I’ll be glad when the weekend is here and I can ask my husband to figure out the computer [he’s busy prepping for school to open. I haven’t the heart to ask him to tackle a computer problem when he arrives home]

Hullo, duckies! I know. I didn’t expect me to be here either. Amazing what a suddenly scheduled four hour water shut-down will do for one. The dishes are washed, I am washed, my hair is washed, a load of clothes is washing and I am galvanised, though not quite awake. One and a half hours to turn-off.

My bookmarks are, of course, on the other computer so today’s offerings are more various than usual.

1] For those who didn’t catch the video the first time around it’s a must; for those who did, it’s still a must, just to watch Ron Padgett, Rita Dove, and Sharon Olds [talk about a group of power poets], who take on “Breaking the Line, Breaking the Narrative” a discussion of, well, line-breaks. We get only five minutes of it, but it’s a fun five minutes. Padgett is humourous; Sharon Olds, not terribly articulate verbally, is hysterical in her method of getting across to us what she wants to say; I would follow Rita Dove anywhere. Her voice is poetry. The transcript can be found at Poets.org, but I think you should watch and listen first, so sent you direct.

2] This second is for a narrower niche and has broader possibilities and uses than poetry alone. WordPress and Readmill have created a means by which you can highlight passages in books and PDFs you’re reading in Readmill and share them on your WordPress.com or Jetpack-enabled WordPress.org site. While I understand this has no application for many of us, I wondered if there were people following me, for whom this might be useful.

3] I found an unusual comment awaiting moderation. Its author says: ‘I did a complementary, more like supplementary, posting based on this exercise over on Bonespark.’. The exercise mentioned is last Tuesday’s exercise on colour. I thought you might enjoy seeing what the supplement consists of. Meanwhile, you can wander the site, as long as you are there.

4] Time for my favourite essayist. David Marshall writes On Noodling. Tell me you can resist. Here’s his conclusion: Be relentlessly yourself or run away from yourself—you become stagnant either way. Look for a way to incorporate experimentation, you make what you learn a part of you. The post is for artists of all kinds, those who paint their words and those who write their visions.

I shall see you tomorrow for the roundup. Yay! Also, next Tuesday for a mystery prompt [mostly because I haven’t chosen something, yet]; and next Thursday for some more serendipity. For the many new people who joined us, this summer, you may also send in topics you would like me to take on. Thursday is for anything poetry related.

Happy writing, all.

Posted by on 08/08/2013 in poetry, writing

Tags: , , , , , ,

12 responses to “Poetics Serendipity

1. barbara_

08/08/2013 at 10:03 am

Odd. Somehow I’ve “liked” you in two personnas. Well. Thanks for the video link.

08/08/2013 at 10:06 am

So you have. You might check yourself every now and then to make sure bits aren’t splitting off.

I am having an orgy of videos right now and will continue to share them.

08/08/2013 at 10:08 am

Well, Ma’am – that was a cute video. I stopped by the We Write Poems Prompt first. And well the piece I penned there fits for here too.

I’ve been for a walk around the block, posted my daily, and popped down to the back of the yard to scare birds and frogs. Not intentionally…but human foot steps do that. Now perhaps I’ll put up some coffee, laundry and maybe even eat breakfast.

So enjoy:

08/08/2013 at 10:11 am

It was cute, wasn’t it!

I’m contemplating the clouds and wondering whether I really want to walk to the grocer’s. I think I, too, shall drink coffee and contemplate some more.

3. dmarshall58

08/08/2013 at 10:50 am

Thanks so much for the mention and the other links. You’re a gem.

09/08/2013 at 7:38 am

Always my pleasure, David. I have a list of your essays stacked up to share. Am trying not to appear stalker-ish. For heaven’s sake, don’t stop writing.

08/08/2013 at 1:10 pm

How cool…I was just researching for a favorite poem/poet post and came across Rita Dove this morning!! I’ve had this anthology by Bill Moyers, “The Language of Life,” that I got from my dad when I first started showing an interest in poetry during high school and I was doing my typical kind of superstitious thing that I do with books…I turn to page 111 to see what it says…that’s where I found Rita!

Hi, Margo! Good to see you…is what I meant to say first. 😉

Thank you for all the goodies! 🙂

09/08/2013 at 7:39 am

I love when that happens! See, serendipity!!!

Hi, Hannah. 😀

• Hannah Gosselin

09/08/2013 at 8:12 am

I ♥ serendipity!

It’s that thin red thread…weaving, flowing, receding, (for a time), then growing…bleeding through all of life; connecting things in minute gigantic ways.

:)’s Hope your day is peace-filled.

5. awayagain4

09/08/2013 at 3:20 pm

I love your humour, Margo, and can’t wait for the mystery prompt. You make me smile. Best of luck with your computer.

09/08/2013 at 3:29 pm

Oh, the pressure! Thank you, Maureen.

Eureka! I just this moment came up with what I want to set. Thank you. Your comment was opportune.