Poetry Tryouts: Poetry Calendar

04 Jun

Ack! I would have forgotten completely, if I hadn’t gotten a general comment from Mark about summer writing. Below, your calendar of summer prompts and what to do regarding them. Click on the image to have it lovely and easy to read. Design by Barbara ‘Briarcat’ Young!

Margo cal 2013

These are all the prompts for the Summer Tuesday Tryouts. I will focus on a different prompt each week, in the order I have them. The order is irrelevant for you.  Any prompt can be done at any time and posted anywhere — a link to your post is probably preferable, but, if you don’t have a blog, or want to keep the poem off your grid, post it in comments. My mini-discourses and the poems you post don’t have to match [if they don’t, let us know which prompt you are writing to].

The list is bare bones. You can look at an entry and interpret it how you will, should you wish to write in a different order than my expositions. Are you thoroughly confused? I know. I’m trying to say things in as many ways as possible, in the hopes of clarity. Example: Say I follow this list in order. This week I shall write poetry that involves sensory imagery of smell, but you may decide you want to write a list poem. No problem. Have at it. Where do you post it? In this week’s comments, just as you always have. The poems and the exercises do not have to match during the summer. The following week, I shall write a profile poem. You may write… As always, there are no due dates. You post when you have a poem.

What’s that you say? Margo, it’s just going to be easier to follow your order. I know, but I wanted you to know you don’t have to. If you are away one week, but that’s the poem you want to write, fine, write it in place of another. Do two.

If you aren’t sure what I mean by one of the titles below, but that’s the one you want to write, make it up. You are allowed. What’s the worst that can happen? You have something different. Uh huh, and? Alright then.

Happy writing and have a wonderful summer. I’ll still be with you, just less of a presence (I won’t be commenting on your poems).

Posted by on 04/06/2013 in exercises, poetry, writing

Tags:

18 responses to “Poetry Tryouts: Poetry Calendar

1. val dering rojas

04/06/2013 at 10:48 pm

Have a wonderful summer, and thanks for the prompts!

2. barbara_

05/06/2013 at 7:49 am

You know us well. Know, too, that we wouldn’t be ourselves if we weren’t discombobulated.
    Have a wonderful summer.

3. andreakbeltran

05/06/2013 at 7:57 am

Enjoy your summer!

4. http://vivinfrance.wordpress.com

05/06/2013 at 12:08 pm

Thank you for taking the trouble to give us all these prompts. I had to invent a new category for this poem – taken from the first line of your prompt list. That category is “really bad poetry.” but after the desert I’ve been in, anything at all cheers me up.

Have a lovely summer

5. Carol Carlisle

05/06/2013 at 3:03 pm

Fun Calendar.
    I just posted pictures of flower for everyone to take a sniff of http://piecesofstarlight.wordpress.com/2013/06/05/wonder-wednesday-what-isthe-scent-of-summer/

6. http://vivinfrance.wordpress.com

06/06/2013 at 4:57 am

Margo, why I am I awaiting moderation?

06/06/2013 at 7:15 am

ViV, I don’t know. I have noted that every now and then the blog throws someone in the moderation queue. As I have changed nothing, I don’t know why. As I don’t dare mess with things, I accept it as the tech gods whims and move on.

If you mean, where the heck am I, I am waiting for the luxury of this morning when I don’t have to post, to come over (so to speak)!

06/06/2013 at 8:17 am

I meant where are you as in geographically.

06/06/2013 at 8:23 am

I am still in Atlanta, for another ten days, then a drive to San Antonio for another ten days and then a month with my mother in California. She keeps calling me to warn me she has become old in a year. I can’t wait to see exactly what this means that she feels she needs to warn me, that at 84 she ‘has gotten old’.

10/06/2013 at 8:27 am

What is “Sharon Old’s Hand Exercise” … which I initially read as Sharon’s Old Hand Exercise, by the way and that.

10/06/2013 at 9:36 am

Hullo. How did I miss this? You want to work ahead, hmmm? I can shoot it to you in an email, or you can wait with bated breath. It is an exercise designed by her, originally.

10/06/2013 at 9:15 am

10/06/2013 at 9:34 am

Testing the format! I’ll head over in a bit. I am working on two different poems and tomorrow’s post. Ack.

18/06/2013 at 10:25 am