Poetics Serendipity

30 May

listening to America singing Sister Golden Hair

Hello, all. Summer is approaching waaay too fast, at least, the part that involves packing, driving, flying, more driving, more flying. You know me, I like routine, my cave, no people (other than my husband ;-)); to be uprooted for two months… alright, no more whinging. Next summer will be even worse! We will be moving us and then my mother. Ack!

For today, we have three things to look at. I’m going to talk a little about the blog’s summer routine; I shall offer an opportunity for submission; and I will leave us with our favourite essayist David Marshall.

1] The blog’s summer evolved from a combination of my needing a bit of a rest (y’all are sooo high maintenance) and the fact that where my mother lives (where I spend a month each year) the internet connection is lousy and doesn’t like me — I swear, it’s personal. I sit, at Christmas, and watch three other people on their laptops, clicking away, while I am being told there is no connection. I do have, now, a mobile broadband connector that travels with me. BUT…

Thursdays goes dark. No links, or discussion. Fridays… last year I did Fridays. I haven’t decided about this year. I may give you a stripped down version. Links, no chat. Next Tuesday, I will be giving you a calendar of Tuesday prompts, so that if I don’t show up, you know what to write and you can post links in the first Tuesday’s comments. I am going to try to be there each Tuesday to post and talk a little about the prompt and give you a place to come to. The prompts themselves are recycled from the blog’s earliest days, but simplified for the summer — I know how busy you get.

I don’t comment during the summer. Wow, you are thinking, she’s even more curmudgeonly than she tells us. Yes… no… Some of you will remember two summers ago when I didn’t come back to the blog for a couple of months. I am trying to avoid that. You know I miss you like the devil when in dark, or minimal, mode.

2] Two of my fellow remixers from the Pulitzer deal-y, Mary Bast and Joel Preston Smith, came up with a proposal for a book. Joel is a photo journalist and has agreed to contribute 14 of his photographs from Iraq 2003 to the initiative. The photographs will be the spark for the poems. The guidelines and photographs are included in a pdf file, link below. I couldn’t get the link to open in another tab, so you will be taken from my page. Come back. If the link doesn’t work, let me know. You know how I am with tech.

call_for_submissions_image_poem_iraq26may2013lr.pdf

If you have questions, ask. Then try your hand at writing to a couple of the photos and consider submitting. I know that many of you particularly like image prompts.

3] I had planned to reblog this, but needed to write about the first two topics. Instead, I will leave you with a link to one of David Marshall’s essays, Speaking of You as Me (or the opposite). I have a few stacked in a queue. Fortunately, they are timeless. In August, plan on seeing another!

This post is a prose poem, as far as I am concerned. I read it the first time because I read his posts. I read it the second time for more understanding, the third time for its beauty. Marshall begins with a question: If you kept a part of everything you’ve broken, how big would the pile be? He goes on to talk as much about writing as about breakage and loss. He tells us, Writing means to make discarded cogs mesh and turn detritus into treasure. This is something we all know about. Now it is voiced.

Okay? That’s a wrap. Poetics Serendipity will return 15 August, rested, relaxed, tanned…

I shall see you tomorrow for this week’s roundup of prompts; and next Tuesday for the first summer prompt and a look at the calendar. The calendar, by the way, was designed by Briarcat, known by many of us as Barbara.

Happy writing, all.

Posted by on 30/05/2013 in poetry, writing

Tags: , , ,

11 responses to “Poetics Serendipity

1. barbara_

30/05/2013 at 10:39 am

Photo/poem project looks very interesting. Thanks for the heads-up.
    Moving two households next summer? Aaaaaagh!

• Hannah Gosselin

30/05/2013 at 3:23 pm

Ugh!! Good luck and thanks for the calendar, B!! :)’s

30/05/2013 at 3:46 pm

Hi!! Really?! It seems like you just left for the summer not that long ago…phew…time’s zippen’ right by!

Nice….very thorough post and I’m glad to know what’ll be happening…it’s good to know what to expect, mostly.

So, I feel the same way for the better part of the year about caves and people…it’s kind of nice to roll a large immovable stone in the arch of door every once in awhile. 😉

Warm and broad smiles to you, Margo!! Thanks a bunch for doing what you do. 🙂

30/05/2013 at 4:02 pm

I know! Frightening, isn’t it?!

I like that visual: I will mentally roll that stone over the doorway when my husband leaves each day.

You keep right on being you and don’t forget to give yourself a present every now and then. That would be an order 😉

• barbara_

30/05/2013 at 6:40 pm

So. You leaving hot ‘Lanta?

31/05/2013 at 7:36 am

Next year? Yes. Skip is finally ready to retire, so we will be moving to San Antonio. I won’t be your neighbour anymore. I told Skip I had a problem with that. He told me I can get a job and we’ll stay here.

• Hannah Gosselin

31/05/2013 at 8:10 am

:)!!! I LOVE that! You’re so right! A must and you too, Margo…presents are so good, even the small ones…a moment on the patio with quietude and steeping honeyed tea…ahhh…it is good. We’ll be talking soon my friend. 🙂

3. 1sojournal

31/05/2013 at 11:06 am

Thanks for your visit to Anastasia. I finally crawled out of my cave yesterday and do you know what? There’s a whole world out there. Frightening on some levels, but also made me think perhaps I need to get out a bit more, say again in a couple of weeks, don’t want to push too hard. But, at least I thought about it. Best of wishes and luck with the traveling,

Elizabeth

31/05/2013 at 11:24 am

You and I must be on similar cycles. I’ve been fighting the cave, knowing my mother’s place is a month away (I have no idea what I am going to do when she no longer has the place). However, I did just go into a flat panic when someone asked for my phone number, with the reasonable assumption that I could explain something a lot more easily over the phone. That cave I never leave. Take care of yourself.

4. Madeleine Begun Kane

02/06/2013 at 3:26 pm

Thanks so much as always for including me. By the way, to get a link to open up another tab, here’s what to do:

The beginning of your link HTML code needs to be modified so your code begins like this:
    <A target="_blank" HREF="

The rest of the code would be standard.

So basically, all you're doing is adding this after the <A

target="_blank"

I hope this is clear.

03/06/2013 at 7:54 am

Thanks, Madeleine! I usually don’t have a problem. I’ll keep this on hand for when I do.