Poetics Serendipity: Your Poems, Their Metaphors

16 May

listening to You To Me Are Everything by The Real Thing

Hello. Anyone else out there feeling a little groggy and wondering why? I think the aftershocks from April are settling in. Although, I have submitted more poems in the past week, than in the past, well, a long time.

I am going to give you something different today. I have always wondered how many of you are able to, have the time to, remember to, go back and check what others have written for Tuesday’s prompts. I am not good about reminders. This week, the poems have been so special that they are the focus, the links, for today.

I asked for metaphors for your own poetry and

English: Title page of Miscellany Poems, on Se...

English: Title page of Miscellany Poems, on Several Occasions (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

got such a wonderful response that I want to make sure the poems are read. In no particular order… actually, they are in order as they came in.

Misky leads off
ViV metaphors — happy dance!
Barbara the Metaphor, revels
Sweet Hannah joins the chorus
From the West Coast, Carol
Jules gives us her gem
Paula is Β heard from
From the bass section, Mark
Here comes Sara
Misky is back for seconds
Barbara revels some more
Sasha chimes in
In from Mexico, Pamela

If you have read the poetry (and the comments) from any of these writers, for any amount of time, you will be startled at how much the poems are the poets — this shouldn’t be a surprise; it’s what I asked them to do, but still, I was thrilled as I read each one to find the poem is the poet.

Visit, read, enjoy.

I will see you tomorrow for Friday’s roundup of prompts; Tuesday for a borrowed prompt; and next Thursday for more links, or a discussion of something poetical [remember that you can send in requests for discussion].

Happy writing, all.

P.S. You want to write a metaphor poem for your poems, too? Well, of course. Write it, post it, and leave the link in Tuesday’s comments with the rest. We don’t do late, here.

Posted by on 16/05/2013 in poetry, writing

Tags: ,

22 responses to “Poetics Serendipity: Your Poems, Their Metaphors

16/05/2013 at 9:25 am

Thank you. I had meant to do this, go and read everyones… To have them in one place was very helpful. And I didn’t take a break or a breath (well I did breathe) but I didn’t stop when I saw a notification pop up… I amazingly stayed focused!!!

16/05/2013 at 9:46 am

It’s fun having them all lined up, isn’t it!

2. pmwanken

16/05/2013 at 10:07 am

I’ve been so incredibly lame about revisiting prompt sites to read others’ poems…you’ve given a firm but gentle nudge and I thank you. I’ve read some great poetry this morning as a result. ❀

16/05/2013 at 10:10 am

It takes time and energy. The ones I manage are the ones on my blog (of course!) and ones that sail through my inbox… sometimes. I may do this every now and then!

3. Pamela

16/05/2013 at 10:46 am

Margo, I went and read a few, even though I haven’t begun mine yet. They are quite terrific. I hope to find time today, as I am feeling inspired. Thanks for all you do.

16/05/2013 at 11:27 am

I shall nag you on this one, Pamela!

m

• Pamela

16/05/2013 at 11:34 am

I have one line done, :=) I have a class in a few moments. But the rest of the day is somewhat free (I think).

4. The Happy Amateur

16/05/2013 at 11:06 am

Hi, I went back and posted mine in the original thread. I wanted to write mine first before clicking on the links you’ve posted, Margo. Now I’m ready to click! Thank you,
    Sasha

5. ravenswingpoetry

16/05/2013 at 11:36 am

Hi Margo! I had fun playing. I’ve posted a link to my poem on the original post.

-Nicole

16/05/2013 at 11:58 am

Thanks, Nicole. My overly ordered mind is happy about that [the good lord knows why, as I will have all the links together here!].

m

6. vivinfrance

16/05/2013 at 3:14 pm

I read and re-read many, but it’s nice to have the links all together. Thanks, Margo. They certainly are well worth reading, and I found the exercise itself enlightening. I am about to plunge into Ovid’s Metamorphoses in more research for my Poseidon poems – I might be about to run out of inspiration!

16/05/2013 at 3:56 pm

ViV, I have been and am fascinated with the variety.

I haven’t read Ovid since never you mind. It’s been a while. I hope you find material. One would hate to run out!

7. margo roby

16/05/2013 at 3:54 pm

We have three more added to the main post and here, Marian Verveka’s:

What, what does it DO?

Does it do more than wear a clingy dress and make-up
    And high-heels and hair deliberately tousled?
    Does it stand like a hitch-hiker at the end of our driveway
    Ready to step into action if someone would only slow down?
    What IS it waiting for?

Did it emerge from a pile of tossed-away descriptive adjectives
    That say the same thing over and over and finally discover something new?

( If you listen closely, can you hear it sing?)
    Not too loud, of course, not a band on a football field ready to wake up the crowd.
    But rhythm, its gotta have rhythm, how else will it stick in your mind like some
    Commercial you heard on TV and can’t get rid of?

Is there a moon?
    Or at least, moonlight?
    Or the sea (Lake Erie) water (the Great Black Swamp) and how can there
    Be a horizon without the sky?

How can there be a poem without nature?
    Or at least love?
    Sorrow, perhaps?

Are t hose chains which bound our emotion-filled lines all through the last century
    Finally loosing their grasp? Can we laugh out loud? Scream to high Heaven? Weep bitter tears? Swear oaths of vengeance?

Those lines, lying there like a pile of dry bones, are they finally ready to get up and walk around all in time to the word of the poet?

Marian Veverka Marianv.blog.co.uk

16/05/2013 at 3:58 pm

Awesome, Margo!! I’m so glad this list is here and I almost went back for seconds as well…that challenge was so super satisfying, I’ve been thinking of it all week!! πŸ™‚

16/05/2013 at 4:02 pm

It’s never too late, Hannah! Should the itch continue, scratch. πŸ™‚

16/05/2013 at 5:15 pm

Thank you so much for mention, Margo. πŸ˜€

10. val dering rojas

16/05/2013 at 11:01 pm

Hi Margo!

I’m going to go and read everyone’s poems in a minute, but I just wanted to say that I’ve missed reading your blog, and I’m glad to be back here! Computer was sick 😦 It’s mostly better now– new battery and new charger. Now, to get caught up!

17/05/2013 at 7:25 am

Whoo! You’re back. I have missed you, lady. Good to see you here.