NaPoWriMo: I Have a Line on 29

29 Apr

I know: I’m early. Such is the working of the poetic brain. Miz Q’s prompt asks for a change of name [a something I ignored] and a wish from the newly named person. The third name to pop into my head was Cassandra (I have no idea) and I was off.

Greek Tragedy Past and Present

Cassandra’s foresight
her curse, no one believed her.
Epic tragedy.

Not for the first time, Cassandra wished her parents
had named her Anne, or Jane, or even Rainbow. No
one asked about names like Rainbow, any more. Instead,
they named her after some British thriller disaster
movie (even if it did star Martin Sheen, much younger
and dishier). People always asked. Epic tragedy.

Posted by on 29/04/2013 in exercises, poetry, writing

Tags: , , ,

22 responses to “NaPoWriMo: I Have a Line on 29

29/04/2013 at 12:20 pm

Always a pleasure. You wrote a haiku sort of a reverse haibun here, I in turn wrote a novella…
    Only if you have time go to the link in Miz Q’s. It is only a page long, but a long page. Cheers.
    One day to go and then back to ‘normal’ …whatever that is. 🙂

29/04/2013 at 12:27 pm

Haibun can go either way, Jules. I’m at your novella right now. Took a break to read this ;-D

• julespaige

29/04/2013 at 12:42 pm

I didn’t know that…So I’ve learned two new things today…so far.

29/04/2013 at 12:47 pm

You can even bookend with haiku! But, it’s not common.

• julespaige

29/04/2013 at 12:49 pm

…three things…*giggle*

I’ll have to remember that. Maybe I’ll go and stick that in my poetry information folder before I forget…

2. vivinfrance

29/04/2013 at 12:27 pm

I love your sense of humour!

29/04/2013 at 12:27 pm

I’m just glad it’s still alive and kicking, ViV!

3. teri

29/04/2013 at 12:32 pm

No epic tragedies for you this April! You have been a writing fool congrats on your journey. One day to go-maybe I can get back to writing eventually. Hope you are well. xo teri

29/04/2013 at 12:34 pm

I keep a weather eye out for you, Teri. Am so glad to see you with or without poem. Keep well, xom

4. Quickly

29/04/2013 at 1:02 pm

Will you be down and dirty tomorrow? Flirty? Imperti
    nent

29/04/2013 at 1:07 pm

Chuckling. Chortling. Laugh-
      ing out loud, even.

• Quickly

29/04/2013 at 1:08 pm

I’m just trying to do anything but write the damn sestina.

29/04/2013 at 1:08 pm

And, you have to write the damn sestina, why?
          I avoided it. You can, too. I have faith.

29/04/2013 at 2:16 pm

You know what?! I love this part:

“or even Rainbow. No
    one asked about names like Rainbow, any more.”

A lot!! So true…and names like indigo or aura… I have a new poem in this prompt vein I think…Indigo wishes she could have more children just so that she could bestow upon them out of the ordinary names!!

😉

29/04/2013 at 3:40 pm

LOVE Indigo as a name. Sounds like a fun poem a-borning 🙂

6. 1sojournal

29/04/2013 at 5:50 pm

Congratulations. I know we have one more day, but bearing an epic tragedy, the month will be behind us tomorrow. And we will still be standing and eclipsing it. Whew! You had fun with this one, as with several others. So glad you have been a part of this journey. Still wish there was a way we could all gather and celebrate together. Here’s to us, we be damned good, yes?

Elizabeth

29/04/2013 at 5:57 pm

Ay, Elizabeth, we be damned good. I raise a glass of Spanish red! How lovely it would be to do so in the same room [you are on my bucket list]. You know, that could tempt me back (could), going through the journey with you et al.

• 1sojournal

29/04/2013 at 8:59 pm

I definitely hope that it does. I’m thinking it may be time to finally finish off that last bit of Amaretto Slush, still in the freezer. But will wait until tomorrow so head is clear for the finale. If we could all sit down together, I’d have to have a tape recorder handy, my head would be swiveling so fast just to catch every last word and who said it. Sure sounds like a glorious party though. If you ever make it to Wisconsin, please, please, let me know,

Elizabeth

30/04/2013 at 8:37 am

You’ll be the first to know, I promise. Now, raise a glass of slush: to us!

7. Pamela

29/04/2013 at 6:49 pm

The what you did here, Margo. I like the haibun, it works well with the subject matter. This has been a crazy month no doubt. I love what you did on the remix, and am going to miss your characters. Cheers to you!

30/04/2013 at 8:36 am

Thank you, Pamela. It has been such fun to see your name among the remixers. Now, to calmer times, maybe?

8. 1sojournal

08/05/2013 at 6:20 pm

Came back to find Cassandra (way too many poems last month to remember), and found myself laughing all over again. It’s fun to play with legends, myths, and established stories. I think your son might be onto something, I like this voice as well. Turning things on their ears is a favorite pastime of rebels,

Elizabeth