NaPoWriMo: Close the Door with 24

24 Apr

I know, I’m back to the rhyming. Bear with me: one week left.

Dear New Readers: I have noticed several joining us this month and you may be wondering if I present a poem for you every day. No, I don’t, except this April, to find out what it feels like to participate in April’s Poem a Day madness, so I don’t have to do it again, but can say with authority that participants are nuts [we will not bring up the other poem-a-day project I am undertaking at the same time — later]. I usually write three blog posts a week. If you check March, you’ll see the style of things. May’s a-coming.

Today’s prompt, from Poets & Writers, is what I have spent the last three months doing [my other project], finding poems in a novel, by remixing. I broadened things from a page to a few chapters, when I found someone nice enough to have pulled out chunks of text, already. My source text is Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. I am placing my link at Miz Q’s place. She asks for a wordle; this is a cousin, a phrasel [yes, I made it up].

poem withdrawn for editing

Posted by on 24/04/2013 in exercises, poetry, writing

Tags: , , , ,

22 responses to “NaPoWriMo: Close the Door with 24

1. winston

24/04/2013 at 1:31 pm

Margo. You are a double superstar doing this and the Pulitzer Remix. I have been looking at your post here most days but not commenting as I to am up against the buffers so to speak. Respect. Win x

24/04/2013 at 1:40 pm

Seeing you here, has momentarily revivified me, Win [yes? since you sign as such]. The bigger problem than writing the poems, is reading others, commenting, responding… you know how long that takes with our own project! One week. We can do this.

m

• viv blake

24/04/2013 at 2:17 pm

That is my problem – if I read them I then have no time to write them. – so far I’ve tried to keep to a happy medium, but Napo, as you say, is crazy! This is my third, and maybe last!

24/04/2013 at 2:19 pm

My last, for sure. if you need a lifeline next April, to talk you down, let me know, ViV.

24/04/2013 at 1:38 pm

“Phrasel” I like that.

While I have not yet read the book, your poem reminds me of the TV series “Touched by An Angel” in that show – at least in the later years – someone generally met with the angel of Death. Portrayed by a rather handsome actor though. And at the end of the show the one guiding angel always turned into a dove, and I think a single feather floated down…

24/04/2013 at 1:51 pm

You’re right. I haven’t seen the show in years, but the feather comes back.

3. Quickly

24/04/2013 at 1:44 pm

Perilously close to Centoship, yon phrasel. No idea what’s Margo and what’s Marquez, but I like the hinges on the door to the abyss being recently oiled. The exterior agent, which I prefer to see with an antique, long-spouted oil can rather than a spritzer of silicone spray.

Hmmm I wonder if it’s possible to compose an un-melodic poem from Marquez.

24/04/2013 at 1:50 pm

All Marquez. I should have said. The rules say no added words. Thank God. Fried brain.

I wouldn’t allow anything but the long spouted can in my house!

Marquez, I think not. Proulx, as well. They are both language rich writers. Like wading through words.

4. Pamela

24/04/2013 at 1:59 pm

Love Marquez, but you know that already. Nicely done, Margo. I am actually trying to write to the wordle words. I am sure I am going to need some therapy in May 😉

24/04/2013 at 2:08 pm

I looked at the Wordle. i love Wordles. i liked these words. My brain said: Not only no…

5. Stan Ski

24/04/2013 at 3:51 pm

Great remix… Whh… Whh… Whhat about a scra… scra… scratch version…?

24/04/2013 at 5:11 pm

Grin. I like the way you think, Stan.

6. Marianne

24/04/2013 at 4:27 pm

Not sure I follow exactly what you have done for this prompt, but the end result is cool. What’s not to like about a phrasel?
    This line is a favorite:
    “The angel of death hovered in the cool
    shadows and flew out again through the window,
    leaving a trail of feathers fluttering in his wake.”

24/04/2013 at 5:13 pm

Marianne, I took ten to twelve phrases from various parts of the novel and put them together to create a poem that has little, or nothing, to do with the novel [other than I’m using its language]. It has become one of my favourite things to do!
      You favourite line is my favourite line.

7. 1sojournal

24/04/2013 at 7:01 pm

Wish I’d known about the remix, would really love to try doing something like this. Am always surprised when I find poetry in a novel. Why, I don’t know, but love it when I do. And love the poem you created from these phrases. It has a wonderful tone and slightly unreal feel about it, yet is very smooth and clearly seeable.

Elizabeth

24/04/2013 at 8:03 pm

Elizabeth, this past three months working on the Pulitzer Remix project has been a joy. I am having a hard time thinking that it ends in six days.

8. brenda w

24/04/2013 at 8:13 pm

This is incredibly beautiful, Margo. I love every word that I have read of your Pulitzer Remix contributions. Thanks for this. It’s dang cool, my friend. Dang cool.

25/04/2013 at 8:46 am

Thank you, ma’am. I like ‘dang cool’.

9. rosross

25/04/2013 at 1:36 am

Margo that is truly stunning. I love the deep simplicity of it……

25/04/2013 at 8:48 am

Thank you, Ros. I wish remixing were a widely accepted form. I would turn to it almost exclusively, I think.

10. Rev. Z

26/04/2013 at 11:12 pm

This is well done work. So cohesive! And very visual. I love it.

27/04/2013 at 8:09 am

Thank you, Rev. Z. I like your avatar.